Sponsored

Firmware bug stopped my car from charging

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I sent my R1T to Rivian because it wasn't charging. The truck said, "Charging error: please unplug and plug back in." I tried all but a level 3 charger. Rivian got my truck, plugged it into a level 3 charger, and it worked, then a level 2 charger, and it worked, and lastly, a level 1 charger, and it worked. They found nothing wrong. I got the truck back, and sure enough, it was charging fine. Two days later, it stopped again. Rivian towed my truck back and finally found the issue. Apparently, the firmware update I last installed prevented the truck from warming up the battery enough to charge, but if you plug in a level 3 charger, it would warm up the battery, meaning after that, you could use a level 1, 2, or 3 charger. So, because Rivian plugged the truck into a level 3 charger first, they found no issue.

So, if you are in a cold area and your truck won't charge, try selecting a level 3 charger by you on the nav to trick your truck into warming up your battery and see if it charges then. If so, you may have the same firmware issue I had that requires Rivian to reinstall it.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I see your location says Florida, How cold are we talking here? I've seen my R1T report a vehicle error after a very long time in single digit weather while just on an L1 charger. There's definitely a battery temperature where it doesn't let more electricity go into the battery, but I wouldn't think you'd ever see that in Florida.

OP
OP
MisterTea

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I see your location says Florida, How cold are we talking here? I've seen my R1T report a vehicle error after a very long time in single digit weather while just on an L1 charger. There's definitely a battery temperature where it doesn't let more electricity go into the battery, but I wouldn't think you'd ever see that in Florida.
I moved recently to NJ. It has been in the 20s and 30s overnight.

calamanderman

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Explorer Sport, Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Attorney
I had the issue last week but it was NOT cold related. After the update I attempted to charge at home with my Rivian Charger. It would not charge. It was as if it didn't recognize the charger was even connected. I called Rivian. We rebooted the car, and the charger. Afterward it worked just fine. Don't know the issue was the charger or the vehicle but I am guessing the the R1T.
Sponsored