uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Is it flat rate...? Or time sensitive?
Most are time sensitive. I'm in SoCal and my last 31 days of SuC use average is 21 cents. But I do work the timing aspect and if I went during peak it would easily be double or more.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
NY seems to be a hot spot.
Buffalo NY is where the magic dock is likely being produced, so makes sense. They'll probably put most of them in NY, open them up, make sure everything is working right then start deploying them to the rest of the Superchargers on their list.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Most are time sensitive. I'm in SoCal and my last 31 days of SuC use average is 21 cents. But I do work the timing aspect and if I went during peak it would easily be double or more.
$.21 average?!

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant

Sponsored

zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan 4S, 23 Model S Plaid, 20 Model Y P
Occupation
Retired
Rates vary state to state as well.

I haven't checked in NJ in a while but charged last week at .31 / kWh in FL. The FL rate isn't time sensitive and I don't believe NJ is either.

Last edited:

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
$.21 average?!
Yeah but it’s because I work it. Road trips raise it for sure, anywhere from 43 to 53 cents. But if I stay local I can charge cheaper than I can at work. 🤨

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yeah but it’s because I work it. Road trips raise it for sure, anywhere from 43 to 53 cents. But if I stay local I can charge cheaper than I can at work. 🤨
3am charging sessions, mid week and during a storm?! 🤣

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3am charging sessions, mid week and during a storm?! 🤣
Don’t forget holidays!!!

Seriously though, nope…only before 8:00 at my current go to just off the 10 freeway in Covina (I think). And then there’s some others that are after midnight and before 4, but I try to avoid the witching hour if possible.

But who knows how long that lasts?

Sponsored

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I might have missed it in this thread, but how do costs at $0.21, $0.46 or $0.57/kwh compare to $3.30 per gallon for gas? Last time I calculated I could drive from Phx to Dallas in an ICE vehicle getting 25 mpg for less $$ than EA charges. This was disappointing.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I might have missed it in this thread, but how do costs at $0.21, $0.46 or $0.57/kwh compare to $3.30 per gallon for gas? Last time I calculated I could drive from Phx to Dallas in an ICE vehicle getting 25 mpg for less $$ than EA charges. This was disappointing.
Well, fortunately gas here in California is still overpriced enough that their overpriced electricity is still slightly more financially efficient to use over fuel. :rolleyes: But the gap has narrowed the last coupe of years. We have a Model Y Long Range and that car is pretty efficient so then there's a substantial savings. But my Model X Plaid and the R1T are pretty pricey to use. Unless I suppose you compare the R1T directly to a Bronco I just sold which would get about 14-15mpg. Then it makes the Rivian look like an economy car to operate.

But GAWD, the fricken' DCFC in Los Angeles is SO BROKEN. An EA station I use earlier this week that had 2 of three stalls working isa now completely down. A EVGo station I went to after and had to wait in line had 1 of 4 operable and instead of charging at 175k/W it charged at 80.

I cannot wait until some Tesla chargers open up out here. This is ridiculous. The Tesla Superchargers are plenty busy here but at least I know I can drive to and use the damn things. And if I want to drive a little further and pretty much guarantee to not wait, there's a new huge SuC in Santa Monica. All the CCS stations around here are broken. I've yet to see one where all stalls operate.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

We need to compare running costs for a small/mid ICE truck to that of the R1T. Or an EV sedan to an ICE sedan. In those cases the charge-at-home costs/mile should work out cheaper (or close) at the national average electric rate.

Not sure that we can expect costs/mile to be the same in the DCFC/long-distance cases because the revenue streams for a gas station and DCFCs are vastly different. Most people will use DCFC for a small portion of their lifetime power use. Gas stations sell us 100% of our gasoline on the other hand.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
We need to compare running costs for a small/mid ICE truck to that of the R1T. Or an EV sedan to an ICE sedan. In those cases the charge-at-home costs/mile should work out cheaper (or close) at the national average electric rate.

Not sure that we can expect costs/mile to be the same in the DCFC/long-distance cases because the revenue streams for a gas station and DCFCs are vastly different. Most people will use DCFC for a small portion of their lifetime power use. Gas stations sell us 100% of our gasoline on the other hand.
Truth

Most of my charging is at home at $.10/kWh. @uthatch what is your home electric rate?

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truth

Most of my charging is at home at $.10/kWh. @uthatch what is your home electric rate?
I live in a townhouse with HOA EV issues so am not able to charge at home. That is definitely one of my main issues with using any EV...it makes it difficult to charge up prior to any longer trips.

But I installed two chargers at my office when I bought the building 2 years ago, 1 Tesla and 1 Chargepoint. The cost there, Chino CA, is 29 cents per kW delivered and I also have the ability to write the electricity off since it's on our company electric bill, so there's some savings there. That's a long way of saying 29 cents.
Sponsored