Sponsored

Ford shares B-roll video of using their NACS adapter

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Ford just released a PR article on their media site discussing adapter eligibility, near the bottom are photos of the adapter and a video demonstrating it being used on a normal supercharger.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ary-tesla-supercharger-adapter-to-eligib.html

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6345936718112

Something that has been asked about before is whether or not this same adapter would be able to work with destination chargers. Well, sorry to say that the Ford one at least, will not, as it lacks the AC pins in the adapter.

1706715636247.png
The video doesn't work for me for some reason. Did they show how the charge was initiated? Did it look like plug & charge or did they use the Ford or Tesla app?

Edit: didn't read the original tweet. Charge is initiated through the Ford phone App or on the main infotainment screen. Hopefully plug and charge is on the roadmap because the Lightning works really well with EA plug and charge.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The video doesn't work for me for some reason. Did they show how the charge was initiated? Did it look like plug & charge or did they use the Ford or Tesla app?

Edit: didn't read the original tweet. Charge is initiated through the Ford phone App or on the main infotainment screen. Hopefully plug and charge is on the roadmap because the Lightning works really well with EA plug and charge.
Looks like they took the media attachments down. They didn't show anything about initiating the charge from the car or phone, just drove up, got out with the adapter, plugged the adapter into the Tesla cable, then the car, then got back in the car. Guessing maybe they aren't quite at the plug and charge stage yet and the video was posted early.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

...Charge is initiated through the Ford phone App or on the main infotainment screen. Hopefully plug and charge is on the roadmap because the Lightning works really well with EA plug and charge.
As expected. Not using the Tesla app. I recall both Farley and Barra talking about wanting to keep their customers' data within their own domain, when the agreement was announced last year.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
I recall hearing that v2 requires minor hardware retrofitting to support CCS. That and the software of course.
Or Rivian, Ford, GM, etc can add V2 support when they include the NACS plug.

It would be a shame if they don't since only V3 and newer locations can charge the new NACS Rivians. And since you can imagine that most existing CCS locations like Electrify America won't have an NACS plug then those first Vivian's will have few places to fast charge. Or you purchase an adapter like Tesla sells to allow your NACS Rivian to charge at a CCS location but this seems like a small step backward.

Tesla has a wonderful asset in the SC network but I expect they only open enough SCs to non-Teslas to get the federal funds but no more. I hope the owners of the first non-Tesla NACS vehicles don't find themselves between a rock and a hard place with fewer locations to fill up on the road.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

V2 superchargers use a Tesla proprietary CAN protocol. Other manufacturers will not be getting access to V2 stations through an adapter.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
V2 superchargers use a Tesla proprietary CAN protocol. Other manufacturers will not be getting access to V2 stations through an adapter.
And to clarify, not from a native NACS port either as V2 is not NACS.

Reactions: VSG

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
This and Tesla has confirmed they have no plans to upgrade/retrofit V2 hardware to be compatible with non-Tesla vehicles. The reasoning behind that is they will eventually all be upgraded to V4 or newer subsequent charger hardware. When Ford, Rivian and others begin shipping vehicles with NACS ports, those vehicles will still NOT be compatible with V2 Tesla chargers.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
More evidence that Ford's adapter release is imminent. Ford has promised 'Spring 2024' for delivery and the Tesla rep in that infamous planning commission meeting projected February 2024 for their initial adapter rollout.

I thought they were testing a couple of weeks ago? Or they need that much testing for an adapter? I was hoping that the adaptors would be in Ford customer hands by Thursday. Doesn't look likely now.
Sponsored