Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ford just released a PR article on their media site discussing adapter eligibility, near the bottom are photos of the adapter and a video demonstrating it being used on a normal supercharger.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ary-tesla-supercharger-adapter-to-eligib.html

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6345936718112

Something that has been asked about before is whether or not this same adapter would be able to work with destination chargers. Well, sorry to say that the Ford one at least, will not, as it lacks the AC pins in the adapter.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford shares B-roll video of using their NACS adapter 1706715636247
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Another interesting factoid about the video, it was filmed at the Northville Supercharger, which is a v3 station. There is a v2 station that's closer to Ford's headquarters that they skipped over to get there.

They also cut the video of the Mach-E charge ring before it activated the charge but the Lightning appeared to charge properly. Sound was removed from the clip where you couldn't see if the Mach-E errored out after being plugged in.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

CJ313

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia telluride, ram 1500
Clubs

Another interesting factoid about the video, it was filmed at the Northville Supercharger, which is a v3 station. There is a v2 station that's closer to Ford's headquarters that they skipped over to get there.

They also cut the video of the Mach-E charge ring before it activated the charge but the Lightning appeared to charge properly.
I thought I recognized that area, definitely Northville.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Looks like a reasonable size.

Also interesting to note the car is parked in the “wrong” spot, ie to the right of the spot where a Tesla would park
Rivian and Ford must do that to charge, if you use the spot that a Tesla would back into the cables will not reach.

And look how far that MME has pulled up, if I was in my MME-GT the front lip likely contacted the curb. In reality you need to pull in at an angle to use the current MagicDock chargers.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian and Ford must do that to charge, if you use the spot that a Tesla would back into the cables will not reach.

And look how far that MME has pulled up, if I was in my MME-GT the front lip likely contacted the curb. In reality you need to pull in at an angle to use the current MagicDock chargers.
Forgot about that. Definitely going to disappoint people that were hoping for a length of cable so they didn't have to potentially block a charger.

Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

They also cut the video of the Mach-E charge ring before it activated the charge but the Lightning appeared to charge properly. Sound was removed from the clip where you couldn't see if the Mach-E errored out after being plugged in.
V2 do not support the CCS protocol - so will never support the adapter.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The question is, will the size satisfy all the people who complain that the CCS plug is unwieldly?
This adapter is the Magic Dock, they are getting it from Tesla. I have used them, not difficult to use at all. Hope to get mine in Feb.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

V2 do not support the CCS protocol - so will never support the adapter.
Correct. And as far as I am aware, it's just something we have had to assume, and has not been directly mentioned by either Tesla nor the orgs signed on to NACS.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

They should give out an inflatable Tesla with the adapter so we can use our air compressors to blow up the inflatable and put it in the spot that we are blocking to avoid the disappointment of the Tesla driver who carefully backs in only to find there is not cable available.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

This adapter is the Magic Dock, they are getting it from Tesla. I have used them, not difficult to use at all. Hope to get mine in Feb.
I recall hearing that v2 requires minor hardware retrofitting to support CCS. That and the software of course.
Sponsored