Sponsored

Google Maps Might Replace Current Maps? (Says Rivian Service Guy)

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Just got off the phone with Rivian service about an issue with my Highway Assist no longer working on any road (worked on every highway in town before) and the Rivian guy said it could be their maps, and added that their early release/beta users are actively testing with Google Maps!

WAHOOOO!!!!

Sorry I don't have more detail though... :-(

EDIT: MIGHT only be for location search, which okay fine, but then idk why SC made it sound a lot different when I asked for clarification.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

<sarcasm>
That can’t possibly be true because Amazon wouldn’t allow it.
<\sarcasm>

great news if true though.

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Just got off the phone with Rivian service about an issue with my Highway Assist no longer working on any road (worked on every highway in town before) and the Rivian guy said it could be their maps, and added that their early release/beta users are actively testing with Google Maps!

WAHOOOO!!!!

Sorry I don't have more detail though... :-(
What happens when it doesn't work? It never shows as available?

Mine doesn't work where it should, never has. It will show up randomly, I can engage it, and within 15 seconds its telling me to take over due to lack of highway info.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I have had the same issue where Driver+ never showed as available. I have had both the AXM and gps antenna replaced (they had to remove and replace the spoiler for this!) and it’s still very spotty. It will show as available in one direction of a well traveled freeway but not the other. Sometimes it won’t be available in a stretch that showed it available before.

what would be helpful is a list of roadways where Driver+ should be available under nominal conditions.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, there's a difference between arial imagery, map data, and POI search.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
<sarcasm>
That can’t possibly be true because Amazon wouldn’t allow it.
<\sarcasm>

great news if true though.
Amazon and Google are better than frenemies...Amazon stuff (Alexa, Audible, shopping) works on Android and Amazon sells lots of Alphabet products (Nest, Fitbit, Chromebooks, etc.) not to mention that the Amazon tablets work off a version Android. There's actually more cooperation than competition.

r1s-owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer (Principal Architect)
I had a similar call with CS about my highway assist on I-90 Disengaging randomly (well not randomly, but at overhung toll booths). Was told to submit feedback directly to MapBox to get it fixed as they were their mapping vendor.

I say this just to prove a point that CS and Vehicle Support (phone reps) don't have a consistent play book nor are following the same procedures and statements to the ownership community... Very inconsistent stories .

I got frustrated with that and went to "my source" at Rivian who then claimed immediately that support was wrong as no ADAS functionality was or ever was provided by MapBox.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Amazon and Google are better than frenemies...Amazon stuff (Alexa, Audible, shopping) works on Android and Amazon sells lots of Alphabet products (Nest, Fitbit, Chromebooks, etc.) not to mention that the Amazon tablets work off a version Android. There's actually more cooperation than competition.
Hmm. I didn't realize that Amazon didn't sell Apple products.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Many Google and Apple apps work on each others mobile OS... Those companies still HATE each other. They just both like money more.

OP
OP
cjust2006

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
What happens when it doesn't work? It never shows as available?

Mine doesn't work where it should, never has. It will show up randomly, I can engage it, and within 15 seconds its telling me to take over due to lack of highway info.
Oh, it's the strangest thing... I'm in Houston, and every highway here had Highway Assist working for me for the first 8 months. Since then, just a little over a month now, it's just said "Highway Assist is not available on this road." Every once in a while, I'll see the icon saying it's available and seems to work for a little bit, but it will usually disengage at some point and then is not available on the same section of road when heading in the opposite direction.

One little detail I thought was maybe relevant, is I took an offramp that has not changed at all for many years, but the truck rendered that I was a good 100ft off the road. But only for that ramp. I wonder if it's just a calibration thing?

OP
OP
cjust2006

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
I have had the same issue where Driver+ never showed as available. I have had both the AXM and gps antenna replaced (they had to remove and replace the spoiler for this!) and it’s still very spotty. It will show as available in one direction of a well traveled freeway but not the other. Sometimes it won’t be available in a stretch that showed it available before.

what would be helpful is a list of roadways where Driver+ should be available under nominal conditions.
Yep, sounds exactly like what I'm seeing. Although, mine is very recent. It was perfect for 8 months until 1 month ago.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, there's a difference between arial imagery, map data, and POI search.
Yeah, I was also very surprised to hear this, but he says it's being tested heavily.

And I know there's a difference in all of those, and I really wonder how what we see on the screen and what the truck perceives for Driver+ are related.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs