First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
Now I’m not whining, I’m really fishing for ideas. The tailgate on my R1T is heavier to operate than my RAM 2500 HD, due to the lack of any opening damper or lift assist. Sure I can operate it, but it’s not easy for my wife. This is an obvious oversight on a most technically advanced truck with electronic controls extending to the air vents. The lightweight frunk hood is powered, as was/is/ might be the fabled tonneau.

So how to improve this? Does anyone have any ideas?

JamuJoe
Sponsored

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So you want additional expensive and complicated parts on your $85K vehicle?

Last edited:

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Are you looking for aftermarket ideas, or are you pontificating on how Rivian could have done something different?

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I find if I hook my index finger on my left hand into the latch on the left side of the door it can be lifted easily about i/2 way. At that point, I remove my finger as I have put the heel of my right hand just below the top edge. From here I slam the door closed with a thrust of the heel of my right hand. I tried to be specific, and it sounds complex, but it is really easy. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I could close the tailgate of my Jeep Gladiator with one finger. I think the heavy tailgate of the R1T is amplified given the fact there's not a designated spot to grab and pull it up, so I do agree that it's kinda annoying.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
The gooseneck hinges Rivian use to push the tailgate out to extend the bed length put the weight of the tailgate out past where a regular hinge fulcrum is, so you're basically lifting almost the full weight of the tailgate when you close it.

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max
The gooseneck hinges Rivian use to push the tailgate out to extend the bed length put the weight of the tailgate out past where a regular hinge fulcrum is, so you're basically lifting almost the full weight of the tailgate when you close it.
Also, could we have the proximity sensors/GearGuard LOCK that tailgate when someone hits the wrong button on the FOB when the truck is parked against a wall. Asking for a friend.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Also, could we have the proximity sensors/GearGuard LOCK that tailgate when someone hits the wrong button on the FOB when the truck is parked against a wall. Asking for a friend.
Don't you have to press the button 2X?

I know the icons on the fob are impossible to see sometimes, I ended up painting the icons white like others have done.

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max

Sponsored

Shadow68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T Quad, Large
I'm unsure if something like this would fit and work properly on the R1, but it's worth a try.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tailgate/H...YimXEqIjfwo7yB6tu8WBPKhuJ40r_2RQaAow_EALw_wcB
FYI - my limited experience with etrailer support was quite good 7-8 years ago - if it's still the same, I'll bet if you ask them about compatibility, they will do their best to find you an answer. They ended up contacting the manufacturer to get a product question answered for me.

So, you may want to reach out to them...

feifan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green PDM R1T
Clubs

I get under the open tailgate with the heels of my hands (fingers pointing up/back), get under it with my legs a bit, and press up with my legs to close the tailgate (like the top of a clean, but less dramatic). That seems to be the least-effort way for me, although it's unpleasant if my tailgate has accumulated a lot of road grime.

Shaun bowker

First Name
SHAUN BOWKER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T. MS plaid
Occupation
Farmer
With one hand press down on the black limit cable and lift with the other hand really helps

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Regular exercise.

Tip: Arms out, left and right, elbows slightly bent but locked by muscle tension. Place fleshy palms under upper portion of tailgate (where sheet metal is beveled/folded and stronger), lift—with legs, if arm strength is lacking. Then, follow through (with arm strength) with some gumption the last 10-20% of the arc to ensure the gate sensor resets and does not trip a false “gate down” warning.

Further, probe the gate with your finger and observe where the metal is flexing. You do not want to place your hands at these locations when closing. Likely to leave dents.

Last edited: