Sponsored

How do I take my phone out of the Rivian while leaving passengers inside?

Dr Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Business Owner
My wife asked me to get her a drink at Starbucks. I use my phone as the Rivian key. We also use the Starbucks app, which means I needed to take my phone into the coffee shop with me. My wife stayed in the car. The Rivian automatically locked as I walked away. She was fine sitting there in a locked car while I used the phone app, but I thought - there has to be a better way to keep the A/C and/or heater going when my phone is not in the car. How do I "keep the car running" while I use the phone at a coffee shop, etc. without having her carry a card key or the carabiner key? I know I could use pet mode, but that doesn't really address the bigger question of keeping the car running while I step out with my phone. What am I missing?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Camp mode always on is better than pet mode for this situation.

OP
OP

Dr Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Business Owner
Thanks. That just seems bit of overkill. Rivian should have a feature that keeps the car running until I tell it not to.

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
If someone is inside with their seatbelt on the vehicle, the HVAC, and radio should still work normally. It will lock and unlock with proximity still, but I think that is a good safety feature and convenience. No one has to remember to lock the car when you leave or unlock the car when you return.

I don't know what would happen if someone unbuckles and tries to exit the vehicle. My passengers haven't tried that yet.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
First World Problems for sure. I have the opposite problem.
My wife has a Lexus NX350 hybrid. You carry around a fob.

Push start button, car comes alive. Muscle memory causes me to push up on the windshield wiper stalk in order to back out of garage...wife barks at me for messing up windshield by smearing the bugs around

Drive to wherever we're going. Seems odd to have to use that pedal on the floor to the left of the accelerator. Get out, start to walk away. Wife barks at me to lock the doors. Push button on fob. Door won't lock because I didn't turn off the engine by pushing the Power button. Open door. Turn off engine. Close door. Push button on fob. Door won't lock because wife has left her fob in her purse on the floorboard. Retrieve fob. Lock door (finally). Go on with life.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I’ve been told the radio turns off when I leave the car even with passengers buckled inside. At least in the back seats but this occurs even if my phone is in the vehicle. The timeout is only a minute or two. Not sure if climate turns off as well.

I agree that there can be a better software solution here. Maybe a setting for “if seat sensors detect passengers and/or seatbelts locked, keep systems on for one hour even if key has left the vehicle, but disable driving…”

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks. That just seems bit of overkill. Rivian should have a feature that keeps the car running until I tell it not to.
Literally what camp mode always on does. So they in fact do have a feature.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I've never had any issues with climate or radio staying on when leaving passengers in the car. Even for 30+ minutes.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

True. It’s three menu actions away (or two if you have camp menu docked)? Can’t remember if you can do this from the energy menu as well….

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
Or you can just hit the fan in the app to maintain the temperature.

Sponsored

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Can you guys keep radio on with camp mode? Mine shuts off after a few minutes even with camp mode always on.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Can you guys keep radio on with camp mode? Mine shuts off after a few minutes even with camp mode always on.
Same here. Interior lights cut off too. There is some strange sequence you have to do I think and I can't figure it out. It's related to opening/not opening the doors, pressure in the drivers seat and pressing the brake pedals before (or after) you select camp mode. I'm still experimenting, but it might just be me.

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I would really like to figure this out myself too. I tend to turn it on to leave ac and music on if I’m hanging out in the back.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Does leaving camp mode on permanently have any downsides? Does it just allow the vehicle to stay on at all times when the phone is absent? How do you lock the vehicle when you walk away? Does it still lock automatically?
Sponsored