Sponsored

How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales

Hereforthesnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
I think this is exactly what is happening. So, so many people did not expect the CT to cost $100k. I did, but I was not in the majority.

Many of the reservation holders would definitely buy at a lower price. I do think it is smart for Tesla to sell as many as possible for $100k before offering a lower priced version. That's definitely what I would do.
You can’t sell a truck for one price, weed out the suckers, and then sell the same truck for $20-30k less to the rest.

I mean, you literally can, but what’s the point? It’s pisses off people and the benefit you get is a few grand more on a few thousand trucks?
They’re only selling a few thousand a month.

I’d say about 30% of people I know own a Tesla. They have many complaints, but two on the Y are loud and clear. 1. Why does it feel cheap and ride rough. 2. Why did I pay $65k at the end of 2022 for the same car that is $45k now. I know there are reasons for the price drop and that was the ultimately goal, but I’m just saying it’s really pissing people off.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
You can’t sell a truck for one price, weed out the suckers, and then sell the same truck for $20-30k less to the rest.

I mean, you literally can, but what’s the point? It’s pisses off people and the benefit you get is a few grand more on a few thousand trucks?
They’re only selling a few thousand a month.

I’d say about 30% of people I know own a Tesla. They have many complaints, but two on the Y are loud and clear. 1. Why does it feel cheap and ride rough. 2. Why did I pay $65k at the end of 2022 for the same car that is $45k now. I know there are reasons for the price drop and that was the ultimately goal, but I’m just saying it’s really pissing people off.
I get your point, but the Foundation Series Beast is not the same truck they will be selling for $79k. It includes more than just the truck.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Tesla leadership stated that their production goal by the of the year is 2500 Cybertrucks a week, 10,000 a month.

This works out to an annual production rate of 125,000 trucks per year.

Cybertruck’s will be a common site on American roads by next summer.

Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales IMG_0236

Hereforthesnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Tesla leadership stated that their production goal by the of the year is 2500 Cybertrucks a week, 10,000 a month.

This works out to an annual production rate of 125,000 trucks per year.

Cybertruck’s will be a common site on American roads by next summer.

IMG_0236.jpeg
I don't see that happening. Happy to be wrong, but I don't think I will be. The issue here is that 95% of people think the truck is ridiculous. And the 5% that like it dislike the A pillar issue, the inability to see out the back window, and the difficulty in parking. And the fact that if you want long range, you eat up a ton of the bed with an extra battery. So, while I think it will sell some, I would think it remains niche.

They definitely will not be commonplace on "American roads" by next summer. The M3 took off and it was a pretty rare site in most areas for a year or two. And, to this day, you barely see any Tesla's on most "American roads." Rather, you see them concentrated in certain area and, where they are, there are a ton.

Take everything Tesla says with a grain of salt. $15k later, I'm still waiting for FSD... After 7 years...

Sponsored

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
Jan 2023....I was wrong on estimate of 750,000.....I just rechecked my estimated place in line using my RN #

order cyber line.png
I had a pre-order from 05/2021 and I was estimated to be at 1.5 million reservations ahead of me. Glad I got my $100 back on an overpriced, underwhelming and problematic boondoggle. Also, the stainless steel body almost requires a wrap based on the care instructions. Another 6-8K tax on top of the initial fleecing. So no to cybertruck and yes to my R1T lol.

Hereforthesnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
I had a pre-order from 05/2021 and I was estimated to be at 1.5 million reservations ahead of me. Glad I got my $100 back on an overpriced, underwhelming and problematic boondoggle. Also, the stainless steel body almost requires a wrap based on the care instructions. Another 6-8K tax on top of the initial fleecing. So no to cybertruck and yes to my R1T lol.
Imagine if they had designed a truck like the R1T…

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chemist
Imagine if they had designed a truck like the R1T…
I think that moron Musk did say if the Cybertruck flopped then they would have more conventional designed vehicle. RJ Scrange has delivered lol

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
I think that moron Musk did say if the Cybertruck flopped then they would have more conventional designed vehicle. RJ Scrange has delivered lol
But it ain’t selling! Look at the Match registration number. Number doesn’t lie!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
I have both R1T and R1S. Both were the market leaders 2 years ago, but no longer without the major tech innovations. Lightening has better NVH, EV 9 rides smoother with better 2nd row space, CT has more innovative techs, Silverado has more range, then Ford T3 promises a bunch of new techs. The new refresh is good, but failed to move the needle in this increasingly competitive EV truck sector. Doubt Rivian will hit 60K combined vehicles sales anytime soon. March number looks bad.

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chemist
I have both R1T and R1S. Both were the market leaders 2 years ago, but no longer without the major tech innovations. Lightening has better NVH, EV 9 rides smoother with better 2nd row space, CT has more innovative techs, Silverado has more range, then Ford T3 promises a bunch of new techs. The new refresh is good, but failed to move the needle in this increasingly competitive EV truck sector. Doubt Rivian will hit 60K combined vehicles sales anytime soon. March number looks bad.
In my opinion, it will be what works best for you as the end user. I agree that Rivian will not exceed 60K units mostly because of price point and the current EV market. The upside for Rivian, they are learning the game of surviving by reducing cost of manufacturing and making more items optional upgrades and building their motors inhouse. Additionally, the EV SUV space is selling better than the EV truck space as seen by the known data.
The same is true for CT, Silverado, Ford with their top trim levels. I believe the sweet spot will be cost range 50-70K range for the broader consumer. If you were an early adapter for RIvian as an example, you got a sweet deal on cost what was included in their packages. For CT, for the tech and a premium of 20K on top of the price point, you still have to pay another 16K for an extended battery to put it on par with the other vehicles with the range and a non-functional autopilot/FSD that is not worth 8K. Also throw in the cost of a wrap since there is non paintable SS surface. Ford has yet to prove that they belong in the space since their first offering was a battery pack attached to a legacy F150 and subpar UI in today's standards. GM puts large battery packs in their offerings but now heavier vehicles with 6 figure cost (best example is the hummer which is a complete waste of materials). Stellantis is still offering vaporware for now and other potential EV makers are struggling to either get to market or withdrawn their premarket vehicles from the space. I stop my rambling here.

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
In my opinion, it will be what works best for you as the end user. I agree that Rivian will not exceed 60K units mostly because of price point and the current EV market. The upside for Rivian, they are learning the game of surviving by reducing cost of manufacturing and making more items optional upgrades and building their motors inhouse. Additionally, the EV SUV space is selling better than the EV truck space as seen by the known data.
The same is true for CT, Silverado, Ford with their top trim levels. I believe the sweet spot will be cost range 50-70K range for the broader consumer. If you were an early adapter for RIvian as an example, you got a sweet deal on cost what was included in their packages. For CT, for the tech and a premium of 20K on top of the price point, you still have to pay another 16K for an extended battery to put it on par with the other vehicles with the range and a non-functional autopilot/FSD that is not worth 8K. Also throw in the cost of a wrap since there is non paintable SS surface. Ford has yet to prove that they belong in the space since their first offering was a battery pack attached to a legacy F150 and subpar UI in today's standards. GM puts large battery packs in their offerings but now heavier vehicles with 6 figure cost (best example is the hummer which is a complete waste of materials). Stellantis is still offering vaporware for now and other potential EV makers are struggling to either get to market or withdrawn their premarket vehicles from the space. I stop my rambling here.
I agree. I think sub $60k is the sweet spot. Doubt, however, any manufacturer except Tesla would make profit at this price point. Its vertical integration, streamlined manufacturing and high production volume give them huge cost advantages. They will also milk extra $20k as long as demand is there. R1T and R1S will have to find its own niche without hemorrhaging money. Will see if the refreshed model will cut significant cost. I personally don’t see it being profitable unless production volume increases significantly.
I think R1 has to move more upscale ; EV version of Range Rover, which means plush ride and more cutting edge techs. With even the refresh, they are still trailing competitors; lack of 800 v, rear wheel steering, drive by wire, FSD. Get these techs, I will gladly buy another R1.

Last edited:

edbeck

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software
I don't think sub 60k is actually the sweet spot when it comes to pickups. Around me, all I see are 70-80k F150s and Chevys.

In a couple of comparison reviews I've seen with the CT and other electric pickups the Rivian still comes out on top overall. So maybe other trucks have appealing features, but two years out the R1T is still the best overall choice. I don't agree that Rivian is falling behind.

Personally, I don't care about the SUV market, so not sure there, I'm just referring to the truck segment.

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
https://stocks.apple.com/AHDnsHdOxQSiHAc9tE_5LYw

I agree with the article. Can Rivian sell enough of refreshed R1 to stay afloat until R2 hits the market? I think Rivian may not hit 60k sales volume this year if March registration number is believable. Hope I am wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: