Sponsored

How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
My neighbor just bought one. They're an instagram fitness/model influencer which pretty much confirms my biases about the people who are buying these things.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

My neighbor just bought one. They're an instagram fitness/model influencer which pretty much confirms my biases about the people who are buying these things.
The resale market is going to absolutely crash for them once the novelty factor wears off.

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
I don't think sub 60k is actually the sweet spot when it comes to pickups. Around me, all I see are 70-80k F150s and Chevys.

In a couple of comparison reviews I've seen with the CT and other electric pickups the Rivian still comes out on top overall. So maybe other trucks have appealing features, but two years out the R1T is still the best overall choice. I don't agree that Rivian is falling behind.

Personally, I don't care about the SUV market, so not sure there, I'm just referring to the truck segment.
No question R1T is a great all around truck. It does everything decently well; handling, ride, off-roading and hauling etc, a jack of all trades but master of none. Consumers want more quiet/plush ride and utility (Lightening ) or more techs (CT) at 80k price point. Rivian sales number is trailing Lightening and CT by more than 2:1 margin, and I don’t see this changing anytime soon even with the refresh.

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

No question R1T is a great all around truck. It does everything decently well; handling, ride, off-roading and hauling etc, a jack of all trades but master of none. Consumers want more quiet/plush ride and utility (Lightening ) or more techs (CT) at 80k price point. Rivian sales number is trailing Lightening and CT by more than 2:1 margin, and I don’t see this changing anytime soon even with the refresh.
Which Rivian model do you own?

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S Performance Dual Motor Standard+
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I see these things on the road pretty often. So regardless of what we think of them, they are selling everyone they make. even with a $20K mark-up and missing features.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder what percentage of people are thrown off by the rust look that even brand new CyberTrucks have?

I'm wondering if Tesla isn't making a mistake by not wrapping them by default.

The wrapped ones are so much better looking. To such an extent that it will likely impact future sales. So I think its worth it for Tesla to stop shipping any unwrapped ones.

Maybe have a default black wrap.

No one I know has enough time in their life to constantly wash their CyberTruck to make it look presentable.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta, Kia POS
I wonder what percentage of people are thrown off by the rust look that even brand new CyberTrucks have?

The wrapped ones are so much better looking. To such an extent that it will likely impact future sales. So I think its worth it for Tesla to stop shipping any unwrapped ones.

No one I know has enough time in their life to constantly wash their CyberTruck to make it look presentable.
Stainless steel doesn't rust.

flybone89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Allow me to ramble and share my perspective as a former Tesla owner (x2) and Cybertruck reservation holder on why I canceled my Cybertruck pre-order and traded in my Model Y for a Rivian R1T: towing and safety.

First, towing. I got a Model Y because we have a teardrop trailer and we needed a tow vehicle. At the time I had a Model 3 and I was not about to go back to an ICE vehicle. The Model Y was actually not a bad tow vehicle with a small trailer - 2100 pounds that was easy to pull - but range was definitely an issue. But I figured it was an interim solution until the Cybertruck came out (wanting to stick with Tesla because of the supercharging network). Then they announced the range. I was shocked it would actually be a towing range downgrade from my Model Y!

Second, safety. On a recent trip returning from Washington DC, our Model Y’s FSD lost complete control on a bridge crossing from West Virginia. In a construction zone alongside a semi truck the FSD immediately slammed on brakes, then suddenly accelerated, and did this aggressive back and forth one more time before I quickly disengaged the system and assumed control. It was extremely frightening and my wife would no longer allow me to engage FSD ever again on the trip. But this was not the only time phantom breaking or some other Tesla “automated brain fart” tried to slam me into something - whether FSD was engaged or not! Did I mention my car no longer had radars or ultrasonic sensors? Yeah, according to Elon cameras alone can see what I cannot see and safely guide me on the road - NOT!

My Rivian R1T with max pack has more towing range than my Model Y and the Cybertruck. It also has towing in its DNA and I guarantee it will get better real world range with my trailer! It also has radars and ultrasonic sensors - quite a few I understand :). And although it only has adaptive cruise control and lane keeping - I‘m ok with that! At least it won’t try to turn me into a U-Boat commander.

The Rivian R1T may not be perfect but putting aside all the Cybertruck looks, hype and polarization - the bottom line for me is the Rivian is just a better tow vehicle and safer truck.

Sponsored

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
It's Stain-less. It can absolutely rust. In industry, there are extensive SS cleaning, preservation, and testing procedures to prevent SS from rusting or corroding. If you get those wrong, it rusts or corrodes like crazy. Even if you get them right, it's not a guarantee that stainless steel won't corrode. For example, you must use dedicated SS (or non-iron) tools to assemble SS parts. Mix that up, and you'll transfer iron to the SS and get localized rusting.

Factory exhaust 4xx grades of SS do rust. SS vehicles should be more resistant to corrosion, but will also show any corrosion much easier. For the Cybertruck, it's driving down streets that are full of iron from regular cars and their brake rotors. Even if the SS is preserved well, that doesn't mean you can ignore the risk of corrosion.

For what it's worth, the Cybertruck isn't for me, but I'm glad it exists.

Last edited:

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
It's Stain-less. It can absolutely rust. In industry, there are extensive SS cleaning, preservation, and testing procedures to prevent SS from rusting or corroding. If you get those wrong, it rusts or corrodes like crazy. Even if you get them right, it's not a guarantee that stainless steel won't corrode. For example, you must use dedicated SS (or non-iron) tools to assemble SS parts. Mix that up, and you'll transfer iron to the SS and get localized rusting.

Factory exhaust 4xx grades of SS do rust. SS vehicles should be more resistant to corrosion, but will also show any corrosion much easier. For the Cybertruck, it's driving down streets that are full of iron from regular cars and their brake rotors. Even if the SS is preserved well, that doesn't mean you can ignore the risk of corrosion.

For what it's worth, the Cybertruck isn't for me, but I'm glad it exists.
The whole Cybertruck "rust" hysteria is an interesting phenomenon. No, the stainless used in the Cybertruck is not rusting, it's more rust resistant than marine grade 316 stainless. I'm never garaging mine, it lives out under wet trees. I don't do anything special to it, just wash it with a bucket of soapy water ever couple of weeks. I off-road frequently so it's always muddy and wet, no problem, looks amazing, even when it's muddy the light shines through.

Cybertruck is the easiest to care for truck I've ever had. It self-passivates and that means finger prints are barely visible. When it was new the fingerprints were a hell of a lot more obvious. After a month, it's pretty hard to see fingerprints. And the idea of it rusting orange is hilarious. Not happening. Some people are just extra gullible, there's a few in every crowd.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
It won't rust in normal conditions, I'm sure a strong enough acid could make it rust, but I don't expect to ever encounter such strong acids. People have been fed a load of BS about Cybertruck and rust. Rusty panels aren't happening, and it won't be happening.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Did Tesla increase ct production after q1?They must have. Found this report that lists out results for all 3 trucks here, q1. https://www.coxautoinc.com/wp-conte...y-Blue-Book-Electric-Vehicle-Sales-Report.pdf, q1.

F150 EV 7700, r1t 3200, CT 2800 to nearest 100. Rivian truck sales dropped over time, went to r1s which sold 8,000 in q1.

I'd expect in q2 CT prod & sales increased a lot. Rivian has been selling off r1t pre refresh with good discount, no big increse expected there.

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder

Agree with this fully. Saw a wrapped CT yesterday (matte black) and honestly thought it was probably somewhere between 25% to 50% less ugly than the upwrapped trucks I've seen previously.
Sponsored