Sponsored

How long was I gone? Appreciate my R1T more after being without it....

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Naturally, when we have something, we tend to take it for granted after a while. My truck went in for service and was given a Mach-E rental car. Was a nice enough car. Better than I thought it would be.

My same day service turned into about a month. Longest I recall being without any car I've owned. I'm one that has historically gone through a lot of cars. I get bored quickly and move on to the next latest and greatest thing. Tesla's were my exception. Now the Rivian. But, Rivian almost lost me due to keeping my truck for nearly a month for what was originally supposed to be a quick fix that I would pick up the same day.

In a full month, my instinctive mental programming basically forgot that I even owned a Rivian. In that much time, I adjusted to life without it. That's both a positive and a negative.

While the Mach-e was nice enough, one I even considered, a month with it certainly told me that I wouldn't buy one. (just my personal preferences and tastes being the reason). Had I taken a leap of faith and bought one, it's one that would have ended up like many of my cars....gone in a few months.

Having been put in that frame of mind by driving a car I didn't love, I actually started shopping options. I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on a Hummer EV. Still love those things and figured a way to make it work, despite it being a beast. I love that it's an, in your face beast, but not the most practical for my every day driving needs. So, I came up with a solution for that and was ready to buy it immediately. All because I had forgotten what it was like to own and drive a Rivian. Out of sight, out of mind!

Rivian is going to have to do better on service times. Back in my 9 years of Tesla days, I had decided to try a Model 3 instead of a Model S. I owned four different Model S cars and loved them too. Got the Model 3 and absolutely hated it, especially in comparison to a Model S. I went back to a Model S just a few months later. The second I got back in an S again, it was like "ahh, I'm home again". That's where I realized why a Model S is twice the price. For me, was worth every penny. Build quality, ride quality, size, comfort, etc, etc, were all so much better in the S.

The Mach-e is more competitive to a Model 3. I didn't hate it like I did the Model 3, but it didn't do anything for me.

I finally got my truck back and WOW. Was like going from a Model 3 back to a Model S. Thing just drives SO nice. Is so solid. Build quality is so much better. Interior so much quieter. Ride quality, HUGELY better. Overall interface so much better. Don't do well with the inferface offered by big manufacturers anymore after being spoiled by Tesla and Rivian. Just the overall feel, like driving a premium Mercedes versus a bargain Toyota.

The time away made me appreciate it so much more. And, for the first time, got to take advantage of the latest software update. Which, was like they wrote it for me personally. Desperately wanted waypoints and better Driver+. LOVE the way they incorporated Waypoints. Much better than anything I remember from other cars. So easy to enter additional stops. And, great job on the lane change feature in Driver+. Not Tesla-like yet, but SO MUCH better than it was. Lane changes were the primary reason I hardly ever used it. Now, it's usable. Have to make the lane change yourself, but love that it resets itself in the next lane automatically. Next step should be, automatic lane changes!!

So, I'm very much back in love with my Rivian again. But, while likely not the case for everyone, for me, too much time away and my eyes start to wander. I nearly jumped ship because they kept it so long. I'm an impulse car buyer. I see something I want, I buy it. may only keep it for a couple of months. My Rivian has survived for a year and a half now, far better than my overall average. But, Rivian needs to improve that service time. I nearly impulse bought something else and the Rivian would have been sold before I got it back.

In the end, I saved a bunch of money and feel like I have a new truck again, especially with the new features!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I bought a cheap "lemon" mach e gtpe and love it. I love my R1T and everything it does (jack of all trades) but it is close on which I rather drive but overall I'm more of a car guy. Blue Cruise destroys Driver Plus at least in my area.

Probably the fact it was about a 1/3rd of the price is the cherry on top. Got it for my girls to drove after they wreck our beater once or twice as they learn to drive.

It's blasphemous on an ev site but I got the Borla exhaust kit and makes it a blast to drive and confuse people all at the same time lol.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Naturally, when we have something, we tend to take it for granted after a while. My truck went in for service and was given a Mach-E rental car. Was a nice enough car. Better than I thought it would be.

My same day service turned into about a month. Longest I recall being without any car I've owned. I'm one that has historically gone through a lot of cars. I get bored quickly and move on to the next latest and greatest thing. Tesla's were my exception. Now the Rivian. But, Rivian almost lost me due to keeping my truck for nearly a month for what was originally supposed to be a quick fix that I would pick up the same day.

In a full month, my instinctive mental programming basically forgot that I even owned a Rivian. In that much time, I adjusted to life without it. That's both a positive and a negative.

While the Mach-e was nice enough, one I even considered, a month with it certainly told me that I wouldn't buy one. (just my personal preferences and tastes being the reason). Had I taken a leap of faith and bought one, it's one that would have ended up like many of my cars....gone in a few months.

Having been put in that frame of mind by driving a car I didn't love, I actually started shopping options. I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on a Hummer EV. Still love those things and figured a way to make it work, despite it being a beast. I love that it's an, in your face beast, but not the most practical for my every day driving needs. So, I came up with a solution for that and was ready to buy it immediately. All because I had forgotten what it was like to own and drive a Rivian. Out of sight, out of mind!

Rivian is going to have to do better on service times. Back in my 9 years of Tesla days, I had decided to try a Model 3 instead of a Model S. I owned four different Model S cars and loved them too. Got the Model 3 and absolutely hated it, especially in comparison to a Model S. I went back to a Model S just a few months later. The second I got back in an S again, it was like "ahh, I'm home again". That's where I realized why a Model S is twice the price. For me, was worth every penny. Build quality, ride quality, size, comfort, etc, etc, were all so much better in the S.

The Mach-e is more competitive to a Model 3. I didn't hate it like I did the Model 3, but it didn't do anything for me.

I finally got my truck back and WOW. Was like going from a Model 3 back to a Model S. Thing just drives SO nice. Is so solid. Build quality is so much better. Interior so much quieter. Ride quality, HUGELY better. Overall interface so much better. Don't do well with the inferface offered by big manufacturers anymore after being spoiled by Tesla and Rivian. Just the overall feel, like driving a premium Mercedes versus a bargain Toyota.

The time away made me appreciate it so much more. And, for the first time, got to take advantage of the latest software update. Which, was like they wrote it for me personally. Desperately wanted waypoints and better Driver+. LOVE the way they incorporated Waypoints. Much better than anything I remember from other cars. So easy to enter additional stops. And, great job on the lane change feature in Driver+. Not Tesla-like yet, but SO MUCH better than it was. Lane changes were the primary reason I hardly ever used it. Now, it's usable. Have to make the lane change yourself, but love that it resets itself in the next lane automatically. Next step should be, automatic lane changes!!

So, I'm very much back in love with my Rivian again. But, while likely not the case for everyone, for me, too much time away and my eyes start to wander. I nearly jumped ship because they kept it so long. I'm an impulse car buyer. I see something I want, I buy it. may only keep it for a couple of months. My Rivian has survived for a year and a half now, far better than my overall average. But, Rivian needs to improve that service time. I nearly impulse bought something else and the Rivian would have been sold before I got it back.

In the end, I saved a bunch of money and feel like I have a new truck again, especially with the new features!!
What was your R1T in for?

We had ours for about a month and then the HEADLIGHT SYSTEM error came up. We took it in and were told "4-days". We picked it up 4 days later and within 5 miles, the same issue. We called them immediately and made arrangements for them to pick up the R1T.

They picked it up at our house and dropped off a loaner R1T. They were only supposed to have it for a week....well it turned into 3-1/2 weeks. They had to fly in a technician from Normal to look at it. They ended up using a camera scope and found the issue....a faulty connection and it was shorting out.

For our troubles, they made our first car payment. It has been perfect since that time. I do have a appointment to address the Rivian issue (sent out an email) about the A/C compressor being overcharged. We are also having the rattling speakers addressed as well. My wife swears that it pulls to the right a little, so we are going to have them realign it.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Somewhat similar we picked up my wife's i4 M50 a week ago today. Granted I still have my truck but my eyes were wandering a bit myself until I actually drove the BMW. Granted it is a great car and is really fun to drive but little things about it bother me over the Rivian.

My R1 is so much more comfortable to drive. It is faster but admittedly feels slower than the bimmer. Rivian has a nicer interior. The Rivian punches above its weight on interior styling. I kind of like those Hummer SUVs but I think driving that is going to be the same sort of left down coming from my R1.

Rivian has a really high quality product that stands up to everything else at its price point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

What was your R1T in for?

We had ours for about a month and then the HEADLIGHT SYSTEM error came up. We took it in and were told "4-days". We picked it up 4 days later and within 5 miles, the same issue. We called them immediately and made arrangements for them to pick up the R1T.

They picked it up at our house and dropped off a loaner R1T. They were only supposed to have it for a week....well it turned into 3-1/2 weeks. They had to fly in a technician from Normal to look at it. They ended up using a camera scope and found the issue....a faulty connection and it was shorting out.

For our troubles, they made our first car payment. It has been perfect since that time. I do have a appointment to address the Rivian issue (sent out an email) about the A/C compressor being overcharged. We are also having the rattling speakers addressed as well. My wife swears that it pulls to the right a little, so we are going to have them realign it.
Originally, was supposed to be a quick fix while I wait to update the software because it wasn't connecting to the internet, rendering many of functions useless since this car relies heavily on an internet connection. Then, they said I had to leave it and pick it up later that day. Then they somehow lost the car for several days. Called back a few days later to let me know they never started on it and just checked it in. I then had them revisit the "sagging front suspension" issue again (for the third time) as the prior times did not fix it. Then they said it was fine and does not sag after sitting. Despite doing so in my driveway every night. Told me to come get it. Got a call the next morning that the Service Advisor walked by the truck and noticed it was, surprise surprise, SAGGING. After effectively telling me I was full of crap, they now realized it was actually sagging and re-checked the car back in. It does appear that they finally found the problem as the front no longer sags overnight! Yeah! Dampers were apparently bad. There another post with the start to end history of that service call on this forum if you're interested in the full details.

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
So, I'm very much back in love with my Rivian again. But, while likely not the case for everyone, for me, too much time away and my eyes start to wander. I nearly jumped ship because they kept it so long. I'm an impulse car buyer. I see something I want, I buy it. may only keep it for a couple of months. My Rivian has survived for a year and a half now, far better than my overall average.
"Love the one you're with," is a good thing I believe.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I bought a cheap "lemon" mach e gtpe and love it. I love my R1T and everything it does (jack of all trades) but it is close on which I rather drive but overall I'm more of a car guy. Blue Cruise destroys Driver Plus at least in my area.

Probably the fact it was about a 1/3rd of the price is the cherry on top. Got it for my girls to drove after they wreck our beater once or twice as they learn to drive.

It's blasphemous on an ev site but I got the Borla exhaust kit and makes it a blast to drive and confuse people all at the same time lol.
Maybe because it’s Friday and I’m still sober, but wtf … exhaust kit on a Mach-e?

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Maybe because it’s Friday and I’m still sober, but wtf … exhaust kit on a Mach-e?
LOL. That is the correct response I thought the same at first. However It really does seem like Ford left a space just for this kit and Borla knows they have to adapt. Currently 4 different engines based on their ICE exhaust, about to finish app with Scifi sounds etc. About the price of ICE exhaust but a lot less weight lol.

Everyone is amazed how good it sounds. It is connected to vehicle computer so sound changes when accelerating, it sounds like it shifts and down revs when slowing down. When putting on cruise the sound goes way down. Also have an easy off knob when you want ev quiet. Best of all worlds. My supercharged LS3 with headers isn't very neighbor friendly in the morning but this is quiet in the neighborhood amd then turn up once out of neighborhood.

https://www.borla.com/products/ford...MISpYwgH2CE_p1FL923BkPnrlWduYF9xoCOasQAvD_BwE

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
LOL. That is the correct response I thought the same at first. However It really does seem like Ford left a space just for this kit and Borla knows they have to adapt. Currently 4 different engines based on their ICE exhaust, about to finish app with Scifi sounds etc. About the price of ICE exhaust but a lot less weight lol.

Everyone is amazed how good it sounds. It is connected to vehicle computer so sound changes when accelerating, it sounds like it shifts and down revs when slowing down. When putting on cruise the sound goes way down. Also have an easy off knob when you want ev quiet. Best of all worlds. My supercharged LS3 with headers isn't very neighbor friendly in the morning but this is quiet in the neighborhood amd then turn up once out of neighborhood.

https://www.borla.com/products/ford...MISpYwgH2CE_p1FL923BkPnrlWduYF9xoCOasQAvD_BwE
Sweet Jesus, ok thank you. I could not mentally reconcile those two things (EV and exhaust) co-existing.

Do not tell my children this exists. They miss the TRD exhaust from the 5.7L Pro, and remind me of it every time we go through a tunnel …

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Enjoyed reading!
Which Service Center was it?