Sponsored

How often do you have to reset your Rivian wall charger?

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Only time in 10 months I've had a problem with my Rivian wall charger was shortly after install. Performed initial install only had a 50A breaker available. Set dip switches accordingly. Later swapped out to the correct 60A breaker and set dip switches, but was only able to charge at the previous value. Opened a ticket with Rivian and they had me send them a bunch of photos of the install, and they pushed an OTA change to the unit so that it would operate at the correct 60A (48A charging) setting.

Dumb and annoying, imho. Waste of everyone's time, all because 60A breaker was out of stock that day. I know there was a discussion elsewhere about "strict adherence to some code", but would it kill 'em to make it just obey the dip switch settings? 🤷🤦
Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I noticed last night after plugging in my rivian mobile charger to the wall at a second home that you have to wait a short bit for it to initialize before plugging in to the truck or it faults red.

At home I have a autel Maxicharger hardwired and it is super flakey. It keeps coming up with a ground fault error after about an hour and then continues to charge all night if I reboot it. I've checked and tightened down lugs to no avail. Any tighter and I'll break something.

These things are finicky and frustrating.
Definitely not normal. check your switches. I have 2 Autel Maxichargers and they've been operating flawlessly for over a year.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Definitely not normal. check your switches. I have 2 Autel Maxichargers and they've been operating flawlessly for over a year.
Thanks, good to hear. I'm thinking either a weak ground for the house itself or a voltage leak somewhere that causes it to think there's a ground fault since a GFCI technically works without a ground wire. I had also called the city to check the pole because when I run my AC the neighbors lights flicker and when they had a welder going, our lights were flickering.

Autel is coming out with a NACS version of the Maxicharger and I want to install them at apartments since they have a billing function. I bought one for my house to test out and was disappointed with the issue but not convinced it's the EVSE. Sometimes it goes all night with no fault. Sometimes only half an hour. A software reboot in the app let's it go all night. I've already gone through all the connections from the panel main breakers to all the connections inside the unit.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Thanks, good to hear. I'm thinking either a weak ground for the house itself or a voltage leak somewhere that causes it to think there's a ground fault since a GFCI technically works without a ground wire. I had also called the city to check the pole because when I run my AC the neighbors lights flicker and when they had a welder going, our lights were flickering.

Autel is coming out with a NACS version of the Maxicharger and I want to install them at apartments since they have a billing function. I bought one for my house to test out and was disappointed with the issue but not convinced it's the EVSE. Sometimes it goes all night with no fault. Sometimes only half an hour. A software reboot in the app let's it go all night. I've already gone through all the connections from the panel main breakers to all the connections inside the unit.
I really could not be happier with mine. I managed to get them on Amazon when they were around $400-$450 each. Phenomenal value; rock-solid reliability.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I really could not be happier with mine. I managed to get them on Amazon when they were around $400-$450 each. Phenomenal value; rock-solid reliability.
Yep got mine on Black Friday as well. Lots for features and capability.

OP
OP
User433

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
I finally got around to submitting a ticket. To give Rivian credit, they handled this well. It was night and day from the last time I dealt with the charging team. They think they identified the issue and remotely pushed a new firmware. I'm guessing it's pre-release otherwise I assume I'd already have it. Now just wait 1-2 months and see if it happens again.
Sponsored