Sponsored

How often do you have to reset your Rivian wall charger?

Plove73or

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Prius prime, Mazda 3
Occupation
Scientist teacher
Where would I see the error codes? It has no problem reconnecting to WiFi after the reset.
Not sure, but I’m sure the system will through a diagnostic. Assuming the App isn’t showing it, I wonder if Rivian see it through your WiFi? Dumb here, but searching for answers. Clearly something craps out. Are you pushing your panel breaker? Janky current (without breaker trip) could definitely brownout the internal circuit.
Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

Every couple 3 months, I live in an area with Edison issues. I suspect the power company is to blame. My charger is a Rivian, self-installed, the hard wire itself is about 2 ft. long. The wire is copper and stranded, I forget the gauge, but it meets 50 Amp. specs. On a 50 Amp breaker rated for EV.
Shy of such detail, I suggest issues are caused by the installation.

One note of concern, some buildings have a breaker box in the direct line of summer sun/heat. The EV loads can be longer than other loads using power, this can cause tripping of breaker. Shade is needed in some applications, such has been added in some cases with results! Also older breakers can get trippy...

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
three times in the last 6 months, including a few days ago. i only realize when i wake up and my truck isn't charged. i check the app and it says the charger is offline. i flip the breaker, remove and add the charger, which takes multiple attempts to connect to via Bluetooth. it's frustrating when it happens!

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Once every few months my charger loses its wifi connection. I don't get a notification, and I only notice because the R1S fails to charge overnight per usual. Turning the breaker off and back on resets it every time, but it's annoying.

My Tesla NACS wall connector for my M3 is on a separate circuit (installed by the same electrician), and I never have issues with that one. I suspect the problem is the Rivian charger itself, maybe happens when the software updates. Had the Tesla J1772 or universal wall connector been available when I took delivery of the Rivian (Nov 2022), I would have bought that for the Rivian instead of the Rivian charger.

Last edited:

portdirect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (QM), R1S (DM Large), EZGO RXV 48v
Occupation
Blinkenlight Hearder
Just had to power cycle again. I monitor the power at the house, and our WiFi to a rather obsessive degree: no blip in power to the building (voltage, frequency etc) but 7 hours ago the evse disconnected from our UniFi WiFi (which was also steady state). I’m going to raise another ticket, expecting to get the same stock answer I’ve got before about resetting the unit - at which point I’m going to escalate, without a doubt the least reliable part of our Rivian experience has been the Rivian branded evse - especially with the weather we have right now it’s not acceptable waking up to find the truck has not charged, but ironically with the most recent update (which is mostly super awesome) quite happily burnt off some of the remaining battery warming itself up for us.

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I just had to today for my Mach e. Never had issues with the R1T but twice now with Mach e. I got new wifi but still have the old in place and it wouldn't show the new wifi network. It always has been a little iffy with the wifi.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

We are one month newbies of an R1S. We have the Rivian Wall charger that works great for about an hour and then always goes offline. I reset the breaker (that was not flipped) and it comes back online. It is on a 40 amp CB and charges at 34 amps which is fine if I can charge it overnight but it keeps going offline??. This of course will not work long term so I reached out to Rivian, and they think it is a bad charger and sent me a new one. I am waiting to have it installed but was wondering if anyone has had this issue?? It is very consistent. ?? Any advice is appreciated. JB

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I noticed last night after plugging in my rivian mobile charger to the wall at a second home that you have to wait a short bit for it to initialize before plugging in to the truck or it faults red.

At home I have a autel Maxicharger hardwired and it is super flakey. It keeps coming up with a ground fault error after about an hour and then continues to charge all night if I reboot it. I've checked and tightened down lugs to no avail. Any tighter and I'll break something.

These things are finicky and frustrating.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've had my charger since August and it seems like I need to reset it once or twice a month, but it also feels like it's gotten worse in cold (New England) weather. I'm not sure if it's the cold weather (my garage is not heated) or perhaps an increase in blips or outages from the grid or just a coincidence.

In my case, it never fails during charge, it only ever has issues establishing a link when I plug-in. I've also never been able to reliably connect it to the internet but IIRC I didn't try to connect it to the internet until a couple of months after having it, so maybe that's another factor that could be influencing the issues, so maybe I'll try deleting the connection and using it unconnected and seeing if it still has issues. Tbh I don't really even see the point in it being internet connected because the app has never loaded any information during a charge from the charger and I can always see the charge rate from the vehicle itself so it's not valuable info anyway.

Sponsored

LeDiable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Mine has been installed since July 2022. Only time I've had to reset it was when I was changing my home's wifi setup and needed to force it into pairing mode.

Mine reports the software version of 3.01.49 and the model is W1-1113-3RV7. Anyone got a different model?

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Never had to to it. I did it once a week or so after installation to see if it would initiate an update. It didn't. I have had the truck for over 18 months but the charger for only 4 months.

TDB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Physician
I’m in the needs a reset about once every month camp. Never had it stop charging. Just notice when I plug in and R1S doesn’t start to charge. When I say reset I mean I need to delete the charger and then reinstall. Is that what you all have to do as well?

Hyro

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
tech
I've never needed to reset my charger, I don't think. Sometimes I have to reset the truck.

Once every 2 months, my R1T will fail to initiate a charge from the wall charger -- either red ring or staying white while plugged in. It's happened about 4 times now. At first I suspected the wall charger. After trial and error, I am now confident it's the truck itself. A software reset fixes the problem reliably now. I've found no rhyme or reason to why/when it happens. DCFC with the truck has always been great.

Also, we have Polestar 2, and it's never had a problem with the wall charger.