Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Making a note about those levels... looks fantastic!
Thanks man! You won’t regret it. Looks even better in person
Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
@R1Tkc your truck looks incredible, I love the yellow.

Congratulations and in my opinion it only gets better. This vehicle is growing on me with each passing day and I do genuinely like it more.

My criticisms are minimal, the overall vehicle is exceptional, and I am completely satisfied with my truck.

Have fun with it and let everybody else who doesn't have one know.

R1T_Observer

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline, 2003 Factory Five Roadster
Occupation
NONE - RETIRED
I totally know what you mean, OP.

I took mine up into Big Sur a couple weeks ago and did the 10-mile Old Coast Road loop. It was the original road before the iconic Bixby Bridge was built. Nowadays it's dirt, it's very rough in places and four-wheel drive is basically required. The views you're rewarded with are amazing. The road winds down into canyons where you're in redwood groves along streams and then have to cross old one-lane bridges before it climbs back up along mountain ridges where you can see out to the Pacific on the horizon. It's a stunning drive.

I was initially worried about driving the road because it can be harrowing and I was doing it the day after some heavy rains. In short, while there were some unnerving spots on the road, the R1T made it so fun. It just ate up everything and never seemed challenged. There were some places where there were washed out ruts three-feet deep and the Rivian floated over everything.

What blew my mind though is once I got back to Pacific Coast Highway and went full sports car mode with the truck just to see what it could do on a tight winding, mountain road. I pushed the truck hard -- irresponsibly so -- and it handled it so well I could not believe it. I could detect no chassis flex no matter how hard I pushed it into corners -- it just kept begging for more. I've done that same stretch of PCH in my Tesla and the Rivian was more capable.

Going off-road and then blasting down PCH showed me the breadth of capability of the truck. There is nothing made that can do what it does. What is amazing is it handles both ends of the spectrum so well and without compromise. Most versatile vehicle on the road.
The reason for the handling on road in particular as well as off-roading, is thanks to a McLaren Engineer. In fact, the UK Rivian office is down the road from where McLaren is located in Woking.

I had the pleasure to text the lead engineer when I first joined Rivian and all of the handling came from the engineers work on how McLaren's suspension on roads and in races are designed. RJ hired the best and with that, is the magic behind both the R1T and R1S. Once his work was done, he did leave Rivian but the foundation was laid. I wonder if he went to work for another EV company?

*EDIT* ... here's an older article as to who was hired by Rivian back in 2019 (pre-dates my employment in 2020):

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/2/2...-mclaren-tesla-faraday-future-mike-bell-apple

Last edited:
OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

@R1Tkc your truck looks incredible, I love the yellow.

Congratulations and in my opinion it only gets better. This vehicle is growing on me with each passing day and I do genuinely like it more.

My criticisms are minimal, the overall vehicle is exceptional, and I am completely satisfied with my truck.

Have fun with it and let everybody else who doesn't have one know.
Thank you! Yeah I feel like each time a drive it, I genuinely get a smile on my face. At this point, rivian should give me commission. I’ve had 4 coworkers order after hearing me raving about it 😂

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
On a side note, does anybody else put their air compressor hose back in the gear tunnel door? Hard to put back in there
I've been putting mine next to the spare tire. But haven't used it too much. I've got some other mtb stuff that goes in the gear tunnel door.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

I've been putting mine next to the spare tire. But haven't used it too much. I've got some other mtb stuff that goes in the gear tunnel door.
Will probably do that as well. Too lazy to re-wrap it every time
Sponsored