Sponsored

ICE competition: 2025 4Runner news, specs, timing, preview CGIs -- via insider info

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think that’s a flawed stance by Toyota.
An plug in hybrid (not these new Toyotas) is by far the most efficient use of resources for EV batteries and for the reduction in vehicle emissions. Give a hybrid an all electric range of 100 miles with a ICE generator to keep the vehicle moving and you eliminate most daily commute emissions while enabling the construction of 3-4 times as many clean emission vehicles for the same resources required.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
An plug in hybrid (not these new Toyotas) is by far the most efficient use of resources for EV batteries and for the reduction in vehicle emissions. Give a hybrid an all electric range of 100 miles with a ICE generator to keep the vehicle moving and you eliminate most daily commute emissions while enabling the construction of 3-4 times as many clean emission vehicles for the same resources required.
It’s a stop gap solution that will only last a few years until enough battery production. I also think at least half won’t even bother to plug in.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s a stop gap solution that will only last a few years until enough battery production. I also think at least half won’t even bother to plug in.
I bet most people with access to a plug would be quick to start charging. Even just an overnight 120v in the garage is money in the bank every month. Around here a ten hour 120v charge and 2mi/kWh efficiency would be about a $100/month savings over purely ICE at 30mpg.

Sponsored

biker1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang
It’s a stop gap solution and will leave them with stranded assets when everyone wants just EVs.
There aren't enough resources for everyone to have EVs. And, directly to counter you, ev supply is already outpacing demand.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
EVs are at the bottom part of the S curve and will be going exponential.

sorry for the thread hijack.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Even a massive demand increase still leaves a large percentage of the market as ICE buyers. EV demand and adoption isn’t going to increase to even 50% in the next 5-10 years.
You're not factoring in price points. This thing starts at 55K stripped, so it's not exactly a budget car. most people who are in that price point can afford an EV and affordability is the #1 reason people aren't making the switch. The family who can only afford the 25-35K dollar car isn't going to buy this either and the person who can afford 55 can buy the EV.

When this vehicle is fully optioned it approaches Rivian money and these two aren't even in the same league IMO.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I bet most people with access to a plug would be quick to start charging. Even just an overnight 120v in the garage is money in the bank every month. Around here a ten hour 120v charge and 2mi/kWh efficiency would be about a $100/month savings over purely ICE at 30mpg.
My wife is considering the new Prius and the numbers just don't work well to justify spending an additional $4,800 for the Prime. Even if she only drove it in electric mode, using no gas at all, it's 200k miles before breaking even (only factoring in power/gas usage). With prices for electricity increasing faster than gas prices around here, it might take even longer. I can't rationalize the financials for the Prime over the standard hybrid for the ~10 years we'd have the car in our garage.
Sponsored