Sponsored

Importing (sharing) a route from Google?

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
Yes, the onboard Nav sucks.
As such, I try to look up the address in Google. I like that it gives me route options and sometimes I pick a route that's 1-2 min's longer for a change of scenery or avoiding an interstate. When I try to share this route to the Rivian, ABRP just recalculates the route and chooses the one it wants. Am I doing something wrong? If not, what's the point of this "feature"?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You are not doing anything wrong - that is unfortunately how it works from my experience. When they first announced it I thought it would solve that problem, but it just changes the route I wanted to the other one every time. Same thing with Apple Maps.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
You are really sharing the destination, not the route unfortunately (using the share link on google maps with the Rivian app). I agree that it would be really nice to share the route that Google chose but alas, not to be.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As you have figured out, sharing the destination with Rivian nav does not actually share the route. Rivian nav will still badly calculate its own route and charging stops.

If I am on an unfamiliar route, I definitely depend on Google maps to get me there, often just leaving the Rivian nav route up for amusement, and to let it make blind stabs at when to condition the battery (with the audio off). If you are not a paper map guy, a cradle for your phone to use Google/Apple maps really is a must with this vehicle.
😎

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I am pretty sure Rivian is working on a real solution for this, that will allow much more freedom for choosing routes, but who knows when it will be ready. They have had *other* software projects to work on lately LOL.
Sponsored