Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
No... Whatever you do don't just sign it when filing. As stated in the email, you were supposed to print it out and sign it last summer then save a copy for your records.

If you sign it now, or any time after 8/16/22, it's a completely useless piece of paper because the binding contract (or any contract for that matter) isn't valid until signed by all parties.

If you didn't sign it last summer (I have no idea why anybody wouldn't have... Unless you hate money), you better make up a date before 8/16/22 when signing it.

In other words, if you didn't sign it before 8/16/22, you missed out on the tax credit. Your only chance now is lying and signing with a retroactive date and assuming the IRS won't know... Which is probably a safe assumption.
It was an electronic signature that was done on 8/15/2022. There was no print, ink sign, mail back instructions.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
After you signed it online, you got a confirmation email which told you to download and print. The PDF link still works for me, but it does appear to be specific to your account - the URL is to a randomized directory which is probably an encryption hash specific to your account.

Rivian R1T R1S IRS Transition rule guidance changed 1678462547559

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It was an electronic signature that was done on 8/15/2022. There was no print, ink sign, mail back instructions.
As mentioned in the post right after your comment, you should have received an email explaining the process. You were supposed to download it, print it, and sign it in "wet ink."

I never claimed you had to mail it back. You were supposed to sign it and save it for your tax records so you could prove to the IRS you entered into a binding contract before 8/16/22, which you arguably did not do since you never signed it.

Also, if you look back at your contract, you definitely have a signature line.

It appears you didn't read the instructions or look at the contract.

Rivian R1T R1S IRS Transition rule guidance changed Screenshot_2023-03-11-08-22-13-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So... when amending our 2022 returns to claim the credit based on the BPA, are we supposed to send a copy of the BPA with the 1040-X as supporting documentation or just keep it on file?

Kokovimax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
After reading through this entire thread, I don't see my specific scenario explicitly addressed, and would appreciate feedback.
What if you did NOT sign a BPA or any other agreement before August 16th, but did purchase and take delivery in 2022? R1S delivered in December 2022 to be exact.
If this was addressed in the thread or in the shared Rivian/IRS docs, and I just missed it, please point that out too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

After reading through this entire thread, I don't see my specific scenario explicitly addressed, and would appreciate feedback.
What if you did NOT sign a BPA or any other agreement before August 16th, but did purchase and take delivery in 2022? R1S delivered in December 2022 to be exact.
If this was addressed in the thread or in the shared Rivian/IRS docs, and I just missed it, please point that out too.
Just file with last year's taxes and put the actual dates down. You still get the full credit since Rivian is built in north america.

Kokovimax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just file with last year's taxes and put the actual dates down. You still get the full credit since Rivian is built in north america.
That's the plan! I wanted to see if I had somehow missed something or if others in the same position had successfully filed already.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Kokovimax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That's the plan! I wanted to see if I had somehow missed something or if others in the same position had successfully filed already.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I eventually found the Rivian comms with the answer to my situation, in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Rivian R1T R1S IRS Transition rule guidance changed Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 5.06.02 PM

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

So if I’m taking delivery July-Sept 2023 I would still file it in 2022 taxes? I’m doing my taxes soon so I would still file it for last years taxes even though I haven’t taken receipt of the vehicle? 🤔

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
This is my scenario except I did the BPA. Accountant says he doesn't need it. Is it because the battery component portion didn't start until 2023?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is my scenario except I did the BPA. Accountant says he doesn't need it. Is it because the battery component portion didn't start until 2023?
Correct.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So if I’m taking delivery July-Sept 2023 I would still file it in 2022 taxes? I’m doing my taxes soon so I would still file it for last years taxes even though I haven’t taken receipt of the vehicle? 🤔
You will have to file without the credit as-is before the end of April 15th, and file an amendment after you take delivery. There is an alternative where you file for an extension now, but if you don't get the vehicle before the extension expires and you owe money, you will also owe penalties.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

You will have to file without the credit as-is before the end of April 15th, and file an amendment after you take delivery. There is an alternative where you file for an extension now, but if you don't get the vehicle before the extension expires and you owe money, you will also owe penalties.
Awesome thank you for clearing that up!

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Just filed an amended turbotax return for our R1S delivered this week, taxes already filed, and binding agreement signed in august. It was pretty simple, told them to do an amended return, and added an electric vehicle, Rivian was on the list. 08/15/22 was the aquire and delivery date via the IRS instructions. Added the curb weight and pack.

It showed me $7500, but my refund dropped to $7290 because of "other deductions that might not qualify me for the whole amount" ... not sure if this was because of a credit I got for a level 2 home charger I installed last year or something else. Was nice that you can efile with no additional cost.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Just filed an amended turbotax return for our R1S delivered this week, taxes already filed, and binding agreement signed in august. It was pretty simple, told them to do an amended return, and added an electric vehicle, Rivian was on the list. 08/15/22 was the aquire and delivery date via the IRS instructions. Added the curb weight and pack.

It showed me $7500, but my refund dropped to $7290 because of "other deductions that might not qualify me for the whole amount" ... not sure if this was because of a credit I got for a level 2 home charger I installed last year or something else. Was nice that you can efile with no additional cost.
I just did mine as well and got the entire 7500 accepted. The only thing that seemed off to me was my original return resulted in a refund that was direct deposited whereas the amended return would only allow a mailed check for the 7500. Did Turbotax let you do a direct deposit?
Sponsored