Sponsored

Is the Model X now a better buy over R1S? (WARNING: NO ELON MUSK DISCUSSIONS)

SpawnyWhippet

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 McLaren 570S, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I don't know why someone with sub 300k income would spend $100k on a car. Perhaps some are wealthy and cash poor. Or have bad financial sense.
Because they like cars? i have been building up my car fleet over 20 years and it is currently valued at around 4 times my annual salary. I don't have any loans so the value is irrelevant. I just have to pay maintenance and insurance, which is less than if I had just 1 car with a loan.
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Why can’t someone making $250K buy a $100K car?
You generalizing so much with that statement.
^^This^^ some of us don't even have jobs!

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If you are eligible for tax credit or have charging infrastructure issues where you live, buy X. At the same price, S. It's more capable and safer. Height and weight improves passive safety.

I don't know why someone with sub 300k income would spend $100k on a car. Perhaps some are wealthy and cash poor. Or have bad financial sense.
The MX didn’t earn the IIHS safety pick+ award. R1S did

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
Over the past 18 months while waiting to hear my R1S was coming I scoped out the model X a couple times but just couldn’t pull the trigger due to the price, the inability to run AT tires and the general minivan-ness of it. Now that my R1S is on its way I am sooooo glad I waited. Had the X price drop happened several months ago I still probably would have waited but it would have been a lot more tempting. Everyone has their own lifestyle and needs. Mine involves a couple of ski-bum teenagers and driving in snow and ice often at night so AT tires and some ground clearance are a major advantage.

Sponsored

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
I find people who think Rivian is a luxury to also be funny because not even Rivian considers themselves a luxury brand. Tesla isn’t a luxury brand as well.

Luxury and creature comforts in other brands are much better than both Rivian and Tesla, even in SUVs that cost $30K less.

The battery and electric motors are what makes these electric cars cost as much as they do.
I never said Rivian was luxury either lol. Though Rivian is definitely better inside than Tesla.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So this might seem trivial, but just realized the Model X doesn’t have a forward camera for parking. I knew it didn’t have a Birds Eye view like most other cars, but no front view at all seems crazy in 2023. I’ve had forward cameras in all my cars for the past 10 years. Not a deal breaker but seems crazy considering how much Tesla relies on vision.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Does the X still have the half shaft design flaw?

In my opinion, the car is a lemon by design.

Sharpobjects4321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Attorney
"Model X dual motor with 7 seats, 348 miles range, and 3.8 0-60 = $83,490
R1S dual motor with 7 seats, 340 miles range, and 3.5 0-60 = $89,000"

this is the wrong price for the R1S dual motor- its 84k

Sponsored

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
"Model X dual motor with 7 seats, 348 miles range, and 3.8 0-60 = $83,490
R1S dual motor with 7 seats, 340 miles range, and 3.5 0-60 = $89,000"

this is the wrong price for the R1S dual motor- its 84k
That's the price for the dual motor performance. That's why the 0-60 is 3.5 seconds vs 4.5, but I neglected to note performance.

Whatever_this_is

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Occupation
Consultant
That's the price for the dual motor performance. That's why the 0-60 is 3.5 seconds vs 4.5, but I neglected to note performance.
Performance be damned i want real world range and R1S standard battery pack basically matches the MX on that front

Sharpobjects4321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Attorney
sure, but does the soccer mom really care about the extra second to 60?- I think the dual motor large pack standard are what people are going to compare to the Model X seven seater... not the performance and I think it compares pretty well

edit- you should probably edit that in to your original post - I think its relevant to the discussion of which one people should chose.

edit again- see that you have please ignore

Last edited:

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

My girlfriend is wanting me to re-consider the R1S for her and look at the X now with the price difference.
Are you spending her money on the R1S?

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
So this might seem trivial, but just realized the Model X doesn’t have a forward camera for parking. I knew it didn’t have a Birds Eye view like most other cars, but no front view at all seems crazy in 2023. I’ve had forward cameras in all my cars for the past 10 years. Not a deal breaker but seems crazy considering how much Tesla relies on vision.
This. Tesla also doesn't have any USS, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring and a host of other very important features.

The vision park assist they rolled out is absolutely useless. It's awful. I expect it to be that way for years to come.
Sponsored