Sponsored

Is the Rivian-branded Level 2 charger the best available for home charging?

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Do you really need an actual charger? Does it charge faster with the charger?
Depends on how you define need, I can add 25 miles range/hr with the Rivian charger (~ 11 kw). My understanding is the 220V plugs max ~ 6-7kw. I only have 8 hours at nite to get the low EV charging rate, so occasionally matters for me, though the day charging rate is still not terrible.
Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I use this Emporia one at my houses,
Emporia has some other neat stuff you can put into your breaker box to track all kinds of power usage in your home.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I'm tempted to just lob the Rivian charger into my "shopping cart" when I pay for the vehicle
Its pretty expensive now, mine works fine, do 95% of my charging at home, decent rivan app integration, we use our charger to charge an ev6 also. Wish I could export my charging history, and it was clear about which vehicle was charged.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Getting excited/prepped for delivery of my R1S (hopefully Q3/4 this year...)!

What's the best Level 2 home charging experience, and why? I'm tempted to just lob the Rivian charger into my "shopping cart" when I pay for the vehicle, but I'm curious if there are other, better solutions out there for a vehicle with a battery this big.

A few details:
- I will have to have a new circuit run out to my garage regardless since it's currently only 120v
- Vehicle will be mostly parked outdoors, just on the outside of the garage door (should we install charger outside the garage, or should we run the cable under the garage door?)
- Vehicles to charge will be primarily R1S for not-quite-daily driving, and occasional Teslas from visiting family members

It is a good quality manufacturer supported and warranteed charger. It's not the cheapest nor the most feature Rich... But for somebody who doesn't identify as a geek or advanced user knowledgeable on the subject, the support and warranty is reassuring and worth the slight price premium.

c4denc3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Clubs

Just curious can you set the charge times on the Rivian app when using the Rivian charger?
Yes, under Energy > Schedule but I’m pretty sure this works for any home charger, not just Rivian.
Sponsored