Sponsored

krsoundtek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Getting the KO3s installed now at Discount Tires. They signed a deal with Rivian and this was the first Rivian done at this location. They had the pucks and put it up on four jacks as well.
Yeah I tend to agree...was a bit surprised. I confirmed they had worked on Rivians beforehand
Sponsored

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Please explain the chalk test.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Yeah, tell us about road noise compared to the Pirelli's. Also, what size are they?

Sponsored

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
Same here. K03s on Thuren 20 wheels in bronze. First impressions coming from the OEM 21s is there is a droning sound to them and not as quiet. Radio on with the volume at 12 muffles the droning sound completely. I only got to drive it for 2 days then it went straight to a powdercoater to redo the powdercoat. For the time I did drive there was a wobble in my steering above 60mph and not as smooth of a ride. I wonder if it was because America's Tire had issues balancing one of the wheels/tire. The America's Tire in my area f'd up my wheels and put so many scratches and dinks on them as if they didn't give AF what they were doing. But that's another story for another day. I spoke to the manager and he's paying for a powdercoater in my area to redo them. Once they fix them, rebalance them and mount them back on, I'll update my post with my impressions. But take my opinion with a grain of salt. This is my first truck and first set of AT wheels.

Rivian R1T R1S KO3 tires installed on Rivian R1T! 20231026_231204
Rivian R1T R1S KO3 tires installed on Rivian R1T! 20231026_231121

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Ko’s are a tough tire for sure, but the noise as they age and more importantly the wet weather traction is less the optimal historically. Hope the 3’s are better. If so it’s a no brainer, cautiously optimistic but waiting on some reviews.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

Tire pressure is definitely a factor (though not the only one). Running the Toyo's at 62psi is significantly better than 42psi. There is still some "springiness" when changing lanes. If I change lanes sharply and then decisively correct the steering in the new lane, I can sense what seems to be the truck's momentum carrying the body past the desired position, and then getting pulled back by the tires. However, it is not a problem I notice most of the time now.
I’m 2k miles in on my Toyos now and agree with this assessment. Mostly not an issue. I’m still running 60 psi cold. Range hit has been about 5% vs the scorpions- from 2.33 to 2.23 mi/kWh based on my trip computers.

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
My short-term follow-up on the KO3s after a few hundred miles.

Prior tire setup:
- Rivian 20" AT darks
- stock Pirelli, 45psi cold
- Swapped at 20K miles after increasing noise, down to <5/32" tread depth.
- Over 20K miles, mixed driving (elevation, surface?) comprising of 9.44MWh usage, efficiency was 1.98mi/KWh. probably ~95% AP mode. Occasional off-road, snow, rally etc. minimal economy mode except on long stretches of highway without elevation change.

Current tire setup:
- Rivian 20" AT darks
- KO3, 65psi cold
- Much quieter than used up Pirelli, minimal noise difference compared to what I remember when the Pirellis were new. No experience yet off-road, rain, snow. Handles well on asphalt.
- ~200mi, same driving habits and surface, efficiency at 1.92mi/KWh.

So, thus far, I'm seeing about a 3% efficiency hit with this tire. YMMV. No complaints.

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
My short-term follow-up on the KO3s after a few hundred miles.

Prior tire setup:
- Rivian 20" AT darks
- stock Pirelli, 45psi cold
- Swapped at 20K miles after increasing noise, down to <5/32" tread depth.
- Over 20K miles, mixed driving (elevation, surface?) comprising of 9.44MWh usage, efficiency was 1.98mi/KWh. probably ~95% AP mode. Occasional off-road, snow, rally etc. minimal economy mode except on long stretches of highway without elevation change.

Current tire setup:
- Rivian 20" AT darks
- KO3, 65psi cold
- Much quieter than used up Pirelli, minimal noise difference compared to what I remember when the Pirellis were new. No experience yet off-road, rain, snow. Handles well on asphalt.
- ~200mi, same driving habits and surface, efficiency at 1.92mi/KWh.

So, thus far, I'm seeing about a 3% efficiency hit with this tire. YMMV. No complaints.
How did you determine the 65psi cold? Was that a recommendation or did you do one of those tests?

Sponsored

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
started at 65 with some of the discussion on the forum previously. This coming weekend I'll have time to do a chalk test and will adjust accordingly. At 65, it *feels* ok. not harsh/stiff. It has a max PSI 0f 80

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
started at 65 with some of the discussion on the forum previously. This coming weekend I'll have time to do a chalk test and will adjust accordingly. At 65, it *feels* ok. not harsh/stiff. It has a max PSI 0f 80
Thanks. I should have my K03s back by end of the week. I originally had them at 49 psi as recommended by Thuren, but I'll try to make time to do some tests as well.

OP
OP
WSea

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Running at 55 psi now for mostly in city driving on rough concrete panels. The plan is 65 for roadtrips. Also changed back to soft

jnc007

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘13 tacoma
Occupation
Firefighter/ paramedic
I decided on Toyo Open Country A/T III and had them installed yesterday. I had a hard time deciding between the Toyos vs KO3s. Interested to see if there’s much of an efficiency hit on these.
What have you found since September was the hit on your range?

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

What have you found since September was the hit on your range?
About 5% by my math. I saw one of the Motortrend guys with the same tires figured 7%. Happy with them otherwise.
Taking them truly off-road for the first time this coming weekend.
Sponsored