First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 992
Occupation
Physician
I have an R1S ordered and was wondering about charging between LA to Mammoth as this a one of the trips we make several times a year. Has anyone made the trip from LA to Mammoth? Where did you charge en route and how difficult was it logistically.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have an R1S ordered and was wondering about charging between LA to Mammoth as this a one of the trips we make several times a year. Has anyone made the trip from LA to Mammoth? Where did you charge en route and how difficult was it logistically.
It is doable, you can run the route through ABRP to see charging options.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

You should be able to make it from Pasadena to Innoykern, where there are RAN chargers at the same parking lot as Tesla Super Charger. From there, you should be able to make Bishop RAN chargers. Bishop to Mammoth is easy.

The issue is not milage but altitude/climb for a long duration going.

tcole

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2022 Ford Bronco, 2022 Zero FXE
No problem. I did San Bernardino to Mammoth to Tahoe last summer in my Volvo C40 which best case can do 250 miles of range, and no access to RAN, so Electrify America the whole way.

If you have it, use the new trip planner in the Rivian app, or use ABRP like @SANZC02 suggested.

You can probably do it RAN the whole way, but there is also an EA in Mojave, Coso Junction, and Bishop, so you have some backup options too.

The RAN chargers in Bishop work great, and are walkable to several food options.

The only bad thing is there are exactly zero public chargers in Mammoth Lakes unless you’re in a Tesla.

There is supposedly an RV park that you can pay to charge (check PlugShare) and a few of the hotels, like the Westin, have charging for guests.

I was just staying at Tamarack Lodge and saw a Lucid air plugged into the 120v AC there. I assume/hope they asked if it was ok.

And on your way back, Mammoth to Bishop is mostly downhill so you can make that trip with fairly low charge.
But Bishop to Mammoth took a bit over 20% battery for me a couple days ago in my R1T.

Also at least a couple of the CalTrans rest stops along that stretch of 395 have free 50kW chargers if you really need it. (Though one seems currently broken)

Last edited:

bbonkk

First Name
howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Citroen 2cv6, Tesla Model 3, Sprinter van, BMW x5
Occupation
pain in the ass
Clubs

Piece of cake. Easiest trip i know of with a Rivian. Right now free charging at Inyokern and Bishop. The big problem is how do you charge if you are staying in Mammoth. I have a house there so i can charge up as needed. There are no DCFC in mammoth for CCS. Charging to 85% in bishop will give you about 240 range depending on tires. The 42 mile trip driving up the hill will chew up about 70 miles of range. So you might have 100 mile of driving up there before you have to head back down the hill safely back to Bishop. Here is my usage from Mammoth to Bishop
Rivian R1T R1S LA to Mammoth 1688048316686

Sponsored

Neo F

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - Launch Green, Blk AT, Forest Edge
Occupation
IT
The issue is not getting to Mammoth, it is CCS charging in Mammoth. No public chargers. So depending how long you are in Mammoth…you may have to drive to Bishop for charge. Or stay at a hotel…Westin that offers charging to their guests. Not open to the public.
Plan to Charge to 100% in Bishop. You will need about 1hr.
Maybe by luck Tesla adds the Magic dock. There are Tesla chargers in Mammoth.

OP
OP
yangpei

yangpei

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 992
Occupation
Physician
My other concern is that we usually only go to Mammoth on very busy weekends / holidays when my daughter is off school (President's Day, Xmas / New Year's, etc). It looks like the RAN stops in Inyokern and Bishop only have 6 charging stations. As more Rivians get delivered to new owners, it may be an issue getting a charging station in a timely manner.

tcole

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2022 Ford Bronco, 2022 Zero FXE
My other concern is that we usually only go to Mammoth on very busy weekends / holidays when my daughter is off school (President's Day, Xmas / New Year's, etc). It looks like the RAN stops in Inyokern and Bishop only have 6 charging stations. As more Rivians get delivered to new owners, it may be an issue getting a charging station in a timely manner.
If the RAN in Inyokern is full you could go up the road a bit to the Electrify America in Coso Junction, or if you're really in trouble, there is also a 50kW Cal Trans charger at the Coso Junction rest area.

Then in Bishop there is 4 bay Electrify America at Vons. Also looks like there is a RAN under construction in Olancha.

Also, according to PlugShare there is an Electrify America going in at Lone Pine, supposed to be ready by this fall.

As an aside, last summer I saw the Tesla SuperCharger in Lone Pine with a line around the block. It did not look fun. I was up and down the Eastern Sierra a few times (not in a Rivian) and never waited for a charger at EA.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Of course there is always an option to wait few minutes until a slot opens. If there are 6 stalls, there is every likelihood of one of those will open up within a relatively short time. And if there is someone waiting in front of you, then there will be another stall that will open shortly thereafter.

I do not have my R1S yet so I don't know if the mapping SW in Rivian tells you how many open stalls are at any given RAN charge station. Tesla map provides total stalls at any given location, charge rate, and how many are occupied. Hope Rivian map does that too...

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Its an easy trip!
Village lodge has tesla chargers, get the adapter. I was able to go from Mammoth all the way to inyokern on the way back without a charge after getting to 100% at the hotel

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

If people charge at a 6 ran station and charge for 40 minutes roughly, would that equate to a station opening up every 7 minutes? Is that what people are seeing in the real world?

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If people charge at a 6 ran station and charge for 40 minutes roughly, would that equate to a station opening up every 7 minutes? Is that what people are seeing in the real world?
Real world RAN I have never seen full, including these chargers on school breaks.
EA probably opens every 5-10 mins unless one breaks after someone uses it.

MrTopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Working for the man to pay my R1T payments
Clubs

Will be making this drive in about a month, curious about these new chargers in Olancha, didn't see the construction about two weeks ago on a trip up and back. Anyone know how many chargers will be installed? Question is, could this replace the need to stop in Inyokern...

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

We make frequent trips to Mammoth from LA and we usually make stops at Inyokern and Bishop. We recently stopped at the Olancha RAN but only on the way back to LA. I wasn’t sure if it was really up and running when we went up Friday night and didn’t want to be stuck in the middle of the night without enough charge.

We left Mammoth with 47% SOC (~175miles) and got to Olancha RAN with 19% SOC (65miles). Charged to 85% (298 miles) and got home with 27% (95 miles). It saved us about 30 mins compared to our usual 2 stops.

This was all on conserve mode.

R1T spec: 20” Pirelli AS+3 with a 21” recalibration

We will be making another trip the beginning on November and I’ll try LA to Olancha to possibly Mammoth. I’ll get better numbers then unless someone else beats me to it 😜
Rivian R1T R1S LA to Mammoth IMG_0114
Rivian R1T R1S LA to Mammoth IMG_0115

Last edited:

charlie_780

First Name
CO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Zoo keeper
i'm making this trip in a week for snowboarding trip.... making me think to just use my gas car lol.
Sponsored