Sponsored

[MA] Solar recommendations in MA?

Wicked_Jawn

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Defender 130, ‘16 XC90, ‘24 R1S (ordered)
Clubs

About 18 months ago I installed a 41 panel system in MetroWest . I used Boston Solar. I signed the paperwork in Mar 2022 and they didn’t finish the install until August. Had a couple PM’s and I rode them to the finish line. A bit annoying on the front end, but no other issues thus far. If you go with them, just assume you’re the PM. I looked at Tesla, but they have a standard config and you can’t change it. My neighbor went with NEC and has been happy as well. Heard horror stories from ones who went with national brands on their after install service and troubleshooting.

All told, Last summer was cloudy and not great for production. I ran out of credits with Eversource in December, paid a bill until April, and don’t expect another until next January. I oversized the system in expectation of some large future consumption. Once you have a meter based on masssave or whatever it’s called, if you expand later, you need another meter. System isn’t scalable under rebate system. Put in what you might need now rather than when you need it to save some hassles.

Taking delivery on an R1S next week, so we’ll see what impact that has. Put in a hot tub to use some excess… needless to say over the winter I used a lot of energy to keep 102 degree water in a mild New England winter.
Good luck.
Sponsored

413R1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Business owner
Clubs

Hey all! I have a '22 R1T and I own a solar installation company. I have been in the industry for 16 years - all of it in S.NE. There is a TON of misinformation about solar - in the industry and on this thread in particular. If you live in MA and want some real answers, feel free to contact me directly. I am not going to post my company here as I don't want to advertise. Feel free to direct message me.

BLUF - Solar works. Don't get a battery. There are no special panels or magic watts. Your roof (and the sun that hits it) doesn't change based on the installer. Installing solar is hard and sadly, most companies don't do a good job. And most salespeople are poorly trained and don't know what they are talking about.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
... There is a TON of misinformation about solar - in the industry and on this thread in particular.
I just reread the thread and it would be interesting to have you point out the "TON of misinformation... on this thread". I thought the posts were pretty accurate and reflected the various programs in place in MA.

Regarding a battery being useless, I'm considering one instead of a propane generator.

413R1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Business owner
Clubs

I just reread the thread and it would be interesting to have you point out the "TON of misinformation... on this thread". I thought the posts were pretty accurate and reflected the various programs in place in MA.

Regarding a battery being useless, I'm considering one instead of a propane generator.
I didn’t say batteries were useless. If you want a battery for backup because it’s cool, more power to you. But, you’ll have about $4 of power for a minimum of $12k installed if it’s Tesla (last I checked, they kept the connected solutions money, thus artificially deflating the price). Also, batteries add no additional power at all. What you get from solar is all you will get. Someone mentioned something about “solar alone won’t provide enough power,” so they should get a battery.

I am not really interested in going point by point. People will insist I’m wrong (I’m not, believe me) and get into arguments or insist I have an agenda (I don’t). That’s why I offered to chat with anyone that is truly interested in hearing the actual truth.

Also, go solar. Please. It works.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
The way I read it, the batteries allow people to avoid having to pay for electricity to charge because they can only charge at night. Since I have Net Metering I buy and sell at the same rate and have no off-peak discount, so I don't worry about that. It seems many in MA do not have this and also pay more to buy from the grid and are paid less when they sell excess, so a battery would let them use their generated power to charge at night instead of selling it on the cheap. Whether this makes financial sense is a different matter.

413R1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Business owner
Clubs

MA does not have TOU (time of use) rates. MA utilities have net metering. You will not save a nickel on your rates by getting a battery.
Sponsored