Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management
Good afternoon everyone,

I picked up my 2023 R1S with last week with specs of:

Rivian R1T R1S My 23' R1S is Here Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 9.52.19 PM

I picked it up at Rivian in New York, Brooklyn, Johnson Ave.

This was not the spec i chose, this was from the R1 Shop Access, here is the story.

I own a 2020 Model Y and a Cadillac Escallade (traded in) for Rivian, so i want to make sure the Rivian will fit out family of me, wife and twin 16 year old active boys.

My wife and I went for a test drive in virginia on March 4 2023 to make sure it would be a vehicle we would like. We met the Rivian rep at a park in virginia, kind of weird but hey, the way of purchasing cars nowa-days have changed so no big deal.

His name was Chris, really knowledgable and nice guy, he brought a silver R1S with the 22" black wheels which was beautiful on the silver.

We took it for a ride and I was first, after a few minutes i know i wanted the vehicle. i drove 10 miles out both in the city an on the highway. I then gave it to my wife to drive back to the park.

We asked a lot of question and during the conversation i casually said, my order is scheduled for delivery in October 2023 and the wait is too long, i need to sell my escallade while the used market is still good. He asked if i heard of the R1 Shop and i replied yes, but i am not invited.

He asked how soon are you ready to buy, i said i am ready to buy immediately. he said let me put in a call to my team and someone will reach out to you.

On March 6 2023, i received a call from a Rivian guide, he said i dont have your exact spec but i have something very close with some enhancements. The enhancements were, underbody shield, 20" black with all terrain tires, and the PPF. My original order was with the 22" bright, no PPF and no underbody shield.

At the time of discussion they have about 12 rivians on"rivian.com". By the time we made our choice he informed me i came close to loosing it because his colleague was also reviewing the same vehicle with another client.

He assigned the VIN to me and a week passed and nothing, i called back and he said i should have received my steps already, come to find out my VIN assignment was stuck between two clients, eventually the resolved that and i received my steps within 24 hours.

On the appointed day i drove my escallade to New York to Rivian, traded in the escallade, which they gave me more than expected during the steps, i was in and out in about 1.5 hrs.

Pleasure to drive home, i drove from New York at 90% SOC to Maryland without stopping for a charge.

We love our purchase.... BTW this community with its wealth of knowledge, answers a lot of questions we had.

Pros:
Smooth
Range is accurate, more so than Tesla
Beautiful Interior
very functional

Cons:

Phone as a Key need a lot of work, takes awhile to wake up vehicle when it works
Phone app is lacking, hopefully more functionality is coming (tesla spoiled me)...sorry
Navigation is jittery, always trying to re-direct you especially when you are not moving
Vehicle is high even in kneel mode, 5' wife has problem getting in (ordered 1-EV running boards)
hydraulic pump is loud

overall i like it and expect enhancements via software and other means as they improve on the base.

Thanks everyone
Tony
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Good afternoon everyone,

I picked up my 2023 R1S with last week with specs of:

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 9.52.19 PM.png

I picked it up at Rivian in New York, Brooklyn, Johnson Ave.

This was not the spec i chose, this was from the R1 Shop Access, here is the story.

I own a 2020 Model Y and a Cadillac Escallade (traded in) for Rivian, so i want to make sure the Rivian will fit out family of me, wife and twin 16 year old active boys.

My wife and I went for a test drive in virginia on March 4 2023 to make sure it would be a vehicle we would like. We met the Rivian rep at a park in virginia, kind of weird but hey, the way of purchasing cars nowa-days have changed so no big deal.

His name was Chris, really knowledgable and nice guy, he brought a silver R1S with the 22" black wheels which was beautiful on the silver.

We took it for a ride and I was first, after a few minutes i know i wanted the vehicle. i drove 10 miles out both in the city an on the highway. I then gave it to my wife to drive back to the park.

We asked a lot of question and during the conversation i casually said, my order is scheduled for delivery in October 2023 and the wait is too long, i need to sell my escallade while the used market is still good. He asked if i heard of the R1 Shop and i replied yes, but i am not invited.

He asked how soon are you ready to buy, i said i am ready to buy immediately. he said let me put in a call to my team and someone will reach out to you.

On March 6 2023, i received a call from a Rivian guide, he said i dont have your exact spec but i have something very close with some enhancements. The enhancements were, underbody shield, 20" black with all terrain tires, and the PPF. My original order was with the 22" bright, no PPF and no underbody shield.

At the time of discussion they have about 12 rivians on"rivian.com". By the time we made our choice he informed me i came close to loosing it because his colleague was also reviewing the same vehicle with another client.

He assigned the VIN to me and a week passed and nothing, i called back and he said i should have received my steps already, come to find out my VIN assignment was stuck between two clients, eventually the resolved that and i received my steps within 24 hours.

On the appointed day i drove my escallade to New York to Rivian, traded in the escallade, which they gave me more than expected during the steps, i was in and out in about 1.5 hrs.

Pleasure to drive home, i drove from New York at 90% SOC to Maryland without stopping for a charge.

We love our purchase.... BTW this community with its wealth of knowledge, answers a lot of questions we had.

Pros:
Smooth
Range is accurate, more so than Tesla
Beautiful Interior
very functional

Cons:

Phone as a Key need a lot of work, takes awhile to wake up vehicle when it works
Phone app is lacking, hopefully more functionality is coming (tesla spoiled me)...sorry
Navigation is jittery, always trying to re-direct you especially when you are not moving
Vehicle is high even in kneel mode, 5' wife has problem getting in (ordered 1-EV running boards)
hydraulic pump is loud

overall i like it and expect enhancements via software and other means as they improve on the base.

Thanks everyone
Tony
Congratulations Tony. When was your preorder date?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Pics and quality of Factory PPF please?

OP
OP

nachilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management
All you have to do is say the wait is too long? Man, I’ve been doing it all wrong this whole time.
yep thats it, i was very surpised. in two weeks i picked it up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nachilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management
OP
OP

nachilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I am a October 2021 preorder holder and my estimated date, from Brooklyn, for an R1S was first half of 2024 so surprised you had Q4 when you have the same SC and an order date two months later.

mifj

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT
My estimated delivery is Oct 2023, why Rivian did't invite me to the shop? I am very close to Brooklyn. :CWL::CWL::CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP

nachilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management

Dcavalheiro

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad / Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Oh my!
This is practically my specs... If I was not in Canada (the forgotten land for Rivian) I would probably be very close to the delivery. (Order in may 2020)

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Lol I specifically asked the Rivian rep during our test drive if he had any influence over access to the R1 shop and he was like, "Nope!" This was at the Brooklyn Center. This was also after Rivian sent me an email in August saying I'll be getting shop access soon.

Oh well -- congrats man!

OP
OP

nachilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management
Lol I specifically asked the Rivian rep during our test drive if he had any influence over access to the R1 shop and he was like, "Nope!" This was at the Brooklyn Center. This was also after Rivian sent me an email in August saying I'll be getting shop access soon.

Oh well -- congrats man!
The rep that took me on the test drive said you may not get access to t he R1 Shop but the the reps can certainly ask a guide to contact you and go from there, thats how i got mine so early. I guess it depends on the person you get.
Sponsored