Sponsored

Nervous About Remaining Range? Steps I take when running out of range

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Nice list. I agree that slowing down is 95% of the savings. I'm gong to try to make a 290 stretch starting a road trip @75-80 mph. Might use conserve or just stay in all purpose. Have the 21" wheels so "should get in the low 300s. Going to be fun!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rambo

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Solar Sales
We don't know the full circumstances of this situation by the OP. Maybe he ended up driving to a dead DCFC station and then had to limp to another? There's a myriad of other instances that may have happened. However, if you're at the point that you have a checklist for what to do on a regular basis, then maybe you're planning charge stops too far apart.

In 15k miles of driving in the past year, I've found that if you enter a destination in the Rivian Nav, it is generally pretty accurate estimating what your mileage range will be upon arrival. Typically I plan my stops so that I have about 50 miles of buffer range left. Typically this original estimate is a little conservative and I have a few extra miles upon arrival. Driving it down to 0% and even farther on a regular basis is a lot of stress that I'm not going to entertain...it's just not worth the drama in my life to eek out a few extra miles on a charge that I'll likely need to do anyway.
Hereā€™s the situation for those interested.

Left San Diego heading to Santa Fe, NM with 100% charge. The original plan was to do a partial charge in Yuma and then full charge in Gila Bend with a Rivian Network Charger (highly recommended)

After 30 minutes trying to get the Electrify America Charger in Yuma to work, and seeing I was ~120 miles from Gila Bend with ~140 miles of range remaining, I went for it! I hit 0% range with 10 miles to go. Luckily, I made it and yes, donā€™t try this at home kids :)

Rambo

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Gotta agree that better planning is the #1 thing. That said, I think the order of importance is probably 1) slow down to 50mph, 2) turn off AC, 3) Conserve mode. Doubt anything else matters.
I agree with this.
Also, stop the automatic battery preconditioning - it's likely to come on if you're routing to a charger.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
I over plan always. If I ever get into this situation, I'm prepared to reduce weight by throwing stuff like the back seats, spare tyre, passengers etc out and as a last resort driving naked. (j/k).
šŸ˜¬šŸ¤£

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Nervous About Remaining Range? Steps I take when running out of range IMG_2461

This one was rough-- got limited to 17mph on the interstate for the last 2 miles. Really strong headwinds and bitter cold.

I usually just modulate speed to keep arrival range around 15 miles. Has worked well for me over 40k miles in my Rivians and 100k in my Teslas
Sponsored