Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Is stability a concern with a puck that long?

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Is stability a concern with a puck that long?
If you look up a few posts above, you can see that that question has been addressed thoroughly with picturesand details. Thanks for the question.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
If you look up a few posts above, you can see that that question has been addressed thoroughly with picturesand details. Thanks for the question.
Thanks! I read the thread yesterday, but did not see the updates.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

This is a solid post, thank you. Those who have used a higher lift jacking tool (OEM, bottle or floor), on a Rivian with it's fully independent front and rear a-arm style suspension has experienced a shifting of the chassis as the vehicle cycles through it's upward suspension travel.

This is true for the factory lifting contraption and the OEM supplied scissors jack, which is worse than a floor jack as it doesn't have the ability to shift when the chassis moves through suspension articulation on upward travel.

Let me explain. When lifting the Rivian on a single point using either the OEM or aftermarket puck, as the vehicles gets higher off the ground the arc of travel on any wheel (shifts inward) as it gets higher, whicn in turn causes the chassis to shift as well.

How does this look in real life? You put your OEM or aftermarket puck in the receiver location on your R1 chassis and begin to lift the corner where the puck is located.

As you lift it higher the suspension begins to raise and the arc in which the suspension travels(inwards) can cause a tilting on the lifting device because the chassis is trying to follow the arc of the suspension. As you get higher the possibility of what the poster says, can cause a greater leaning of the lifting puck (OEM or other) occurs. (as the poster has noted, this shifting and lean is far more noticeable on an XL puck vs. standard puck).

With a high quality floor jack (with casters), you can allow the floor jack to 'follow' the arc and maintain an even lift. If it doesn't follow the arc of the suspension travel, then you need to steer it yourself to maintain a vertical lift. With a Bottle Jack, if you are in a place (say off road) where you need a very high lift (for whatever reason), then you have to position your Bottle Jack in advance to compensate for the chassis shift.

I took three pictures on my R1T to illustrate this.

Photo 1 (vertical, it might not look it, but it is) shows install of the XL with zero load on the jack. You can see the assembly is vertical. As I begin to lift the wheels begin to follow the suspension travel and the chassis moves a bit with it, causing a lean.
20231009_074916.jpg

Photo 2 (lean) I lifted the right rear to the point where the tire was .50" off the ground and you can see the lean in Photo 2. At that point, I release the bottle jack pressure, but the suspension stays in the same position. Notice bunching up of my vinyl floor mat as the tires are shifting inwards. I used this to illustrate it vs photo 1.
20231009_075125.jpg

Photo 3 (shifted bottle jack location) I simply re-aligned the jack/puck assembly until it is 90 degrees with the chassis and lifted again. Photo 3. Done and vertical with no lean.
20231009_075357.jpg

Notes: I have a floor mat on my epoxy floors and as the suspension articulates through it's travel you can hear the tires start to scrub as the shift inwards, which in turn can cause the chassis to slight shift along with it.

Procedure for high lift with a bottle jack.

1. Attach puck and jack assembly so it's vertical.
2. Lift vehicle to the point where tire is just off the ground (lean on jack)
3. Release pressure in bottle jack (suspension stays high on its own).
4. Re-align bottle jack and puck assembly so that it is vertical to the chassis and re-lift (it will be 90 deg.).
5. Complete service of wheel/tire. DONE

I wish we could legislate everything in life to be fool proof, but that isn't possible. The idea behind the XL magnetic puck is to allow someone to get themselves out of a difficult situation and lift the vehicle off the ground at one wheel location in a challenging location, or if they need the additional height.

I find my XL puck a valuable asset for this, but as is the case with any higher lift, it isn't fool proof. Thanks for your post and hope that my response is helpful.
I honestly think you should do a video of this too!

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

I honestly think you should do a video of this too!
I'll put that on my list, as a few have mentioned this. Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Just grabbed one and was shocked to see the pre-order pricing still. WIN!
Thank you for your order! We all need some wins! Thanks again. Still tracking for mid December shipping. You'll love the XL

Mark

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Pre-Order Purchasers XL Magnetic Jack Puck Update

We have stated that we should be shipping the brand new XL Magnetically Coupled Jack Pucks by Mid-December. Well, fingers-crossed but it looks like we are going to beat that forecast! More details next Monday, but it's looking good Rivian Forum Members!

Thanks to you!!

If you have been a customer of ours, then you know we have a proven history of fulfilling our obligations and in a timely fashion for our pre-order customers. I see other manufactures continually falling behind (even months). I guess they figure, get the money and worry about the rest later.

Things happen I get it, but we don't work that way.

Mark Tozer
From One Rivian Owner to Another

Rivian R1T R1S New Product: XL by JackPucks.com - High Lift Magnetic Jack Puck 20231007_080731

Love my truck!!

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

XL Magnetically Coupled Jack Puck Sales Update

There are only a handful of our raging hot XL magnetic jack pucks available out of the very first 100 built. After the 100 is reached, it will be Mid-February before I build the next batch.

XL Magnetically Coupled Jack Puck Pre-Order LINK

Rivian R1T R1S New Product: XL by JackPucks.com - High Lift Magnetic Jack Puck 20231007_081446

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Pre-Order Purchasers XL Magnetic Jack Puck Update

We have stated that we should be shipping the brand new XL Magnetically Coupled Jack Pucks by Mid-December. Well, fingers-crossed but it looks like we are going to beat that forecast! More details next Monday, but it's looking good Rivian Forum Members!

Thanks to you!!

If you have been a customer of ours, then you know we have a proven history of fulfilling our obligations and in a timely fashion for our pre-order customers. I see other manufactures continually falling behind (even months). I guess they figure, get the money and worry about the rest later.

Things happen I get it, but we don't work that way.

Mark Tozer
From One Rivian Owner to Another

20231007_080731.jpg

Love my truck!!
I'm thrilled to say, that we did it again!! Our XL 6-Magnet, Magnetic Jack Pucks are in and are getting checked in now. We start shipping tomorrow, Tuesday December 5th!! Ahead of schedule!! All pre-order holders saved $10 and get them first. Price now goes up a bit, and there are only a few left in-stock. Next batch of XL's will be third week of February!!

XL 6 Magnet, Magnetic Jack Puck Purchase LINK

Thanks everyone!!!

Mark Tozer
One Rivian Owner to Another

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Thank you to every pre-order holder for our XL 6 Magnet Magnetic Jack Puck!! All pre-orders have been shipped!!
Mark
Sponsored