Off-Road Package and Tire Decisions - HELP

JDetroit

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Hey guys, new here, just got the email that I can configure my R1T! I am stuck on one decision. I don't want or need the off-road package, BUT, I think I like the style of the chunky off-road tires better than the sport tires. What do you guys think? I got the Forest Green, but debating between Sport Tires with the 22' black rims, or adding the off-road pack to get the thick tires and the 20' black rims. From what I understand, you have to order the off-road pack in order to be able to configure with the off-road tires. Any advice? Pros? Cons? Thank you!!
Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Looks like the off-road package is a new configuration that Rivian implemented to streamline orders. I think it’s worth it! You get the underbody shield too, which is a pretty good piece of mind

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Get what you want. It's personal preference.

Personally, I like the look of the 20" wheels/tires, but I think the RUS is a waste of money. Shame it's required now.

If you really can't decide between the two, then I'd say just get the 21's and save a few thousand dollars. Remove the aero covers and spend the $80 for the nice center caps. Done.

Alternatively, configure the 21" wheels and you can always buy the 20" wheels separately from the Gear Shop, down the road, if you decide you really want that "look". You can avoid buying the RUS this way, too.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Two options:

Get the 22's and replace them with some chunky off-road tires. Sell the 22" tires to another owner
Get the 21s and buy a set of 20's from the gear shop and sell the tires/rims that came as stock

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Get what you want. It's personal preference.

Personally, I like the look of the 20" wheels/tires, but I think the RUS is a waste of money. Shame it's required now.

If you really can't decide between the two, then I'd say just get the 21's and save a few thousand dollars. Remove the aero covers and spend the $80 for the nice center caps. Done.

Alternatively, configure the 21" wheels and you can always buy the 20" wheels separately from the Gear Shop, down the road, if you decide you really want that "look". You can avoid buying the RUS this way, too.
There have been anecdotal reports that the RUS makes interior quieter. It makes sense as the panels are more dense than the plastic / resin stock ones. I also wonder if it would make the chassis feel more rigid?

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hey guys, new here, just got the email that I can configure my R1T! I am stuck on one decision. I don't want or need the off-road package, BUT, I think I like the style of the chunky off-road tires better than the sport tires. What do you guys think? I got the Forest Green, but debating between Sport Tires with the 22' black rims, or adding the off-road pack to get the thick tires and the 20' black rims. From what I understand, you have to order the off-road pack in order to be able to configure with the off-road tires. Any advice? Pros? Cons? Thank you!!
I‘d go for the off road package as @DuoRivians recommended. Even if you never off-road, having serious underbody protection of the battery pack from road debris encounters at highway speed provides peace of mind. The 20s are forged. The 21s and 22s are cast.

(My signature showing my configuration reveals my bias. 😉)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There have been anecdotal reports that the RUS makes interior quieter. It makes sense as the panels are more dense than the plastic / resin stock ones. I also wonder if it would make the chassis feel more rigid?
I've driven thousands of miles in R1Ts both with and without RUS and I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference, based on cabin noise. And I am probably more sensitive than most to noise, as every squeak and rattle (for which Rivian has far too many) bothers the crap out of me.

OP
OP

JDetroit

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Thanks guys, and what about purely aesthetic? Which choice makes the truck appear 'taller' and bigger? The 22 inch Sport or the 20" Off-Road?

OP
OP

JDetroit

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Once you add the 22" Sport Black Rims vs. adding the Off-Road Package, it's basically the same price. No difference financially.

Sponsored

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

20" is tallest combo.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have the RUS on my truck but as long as you have the climate control going, the HVAC is the primary noise producer in the vehicle. I was able to leave it off today because the sun is finally out and the temps are up and it was weird how quiet everything was.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I went with 20 brights and underbody (when it wasn’t a combo)
Figured an adventure vehicle needed it and if I ever had to sell it might help move it quicker and/or a better price point
Also figured it was easier to get 20” tires when needed

OP
OP

JDetroit

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Do the 20" off-road give you any inferior handling like on the freeway at high-speeds, lane-changing, curves, roll-stability, stuff like that? Would the Sport Tires be much better with that stuff? Or pretty much the same with either?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Thanks guys, and what about purely aesthetic? Which choice makes the truck appear 'taller' and bigger? The 22 inch Sport or the 20" Off-Road?
20s by far. They’re a 34” tire vs 33” for 21s and 22s.
Sponsored