First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Full PPF or just the front?
I'm going with a full PPF in XPEL Stealth, which is considered Satin. Thought about a fully-matted finish, but liked that the Satin seems a happy medium between gloss and matted. Also having a light window tint done, along with Exoshield up front, if it will work.

I'm told the Exoshield is distortion-free, with no visible haze, and that it does reduce visible light by only 10%. I'm also looking at very light tinting on the side windows. It always freaks me out to think that I might not have as good a visibility at night, so hoping someone can weigh-in on that. I'm looking at versions that have around 80 to 88% visible light transmission, maybe more, after I get a chance to see examples.

I'm also hoping somebody can tell me if Exoshield truly is invisible to the eye from the driver's seat. It would drive me effing nuts if I see any haze or glare! I didn't have Lasix done for nothing....

I'll go without any tint if the tinting causes that oily-looking film when used with polarized sunglasses. I know tints can do this, but I'm wondering specifically about clear Exoshield.

My shop tells me XPEL advised him they already have kits available for the R1T, which will simply the process. I'll share pictures of all once it's done, as well as contact information for this Westside Portland-area shop. I've have a couple of friends with multiple Porsches wrapped there, and they rave about how much they love the results. I've seen three of them, and can personally confirm that all look great and are fully drool-proof. ?
Sponsored

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
I'm going with a full PPF in XPEL Stealth, which is considered Satin. Thought about a fully-matted finish, but liked that the Satin seems a happy medium between gloss and matted. Also having a light window tint done, along with Exoshield up front, if it will work.

I'm told the Exoshield is distortion-free, with no visible haze, and that it does reduce visible light by only 10%. I'm also looking at very light tinting on the side windows. It always freaks me out to think that I might not have as good a visibility at night, so hoping someone can weigh-in on that. I'm looking at versions that have around 80 to 88% visible light transmission, maybe more, after I get a chance to see examples.

I'm also hoping somebody can tell me if Exoshield truly is invisible to the eye from the driver's seat. It would drive me effing nuts if I see any haze or glare! I didn't have Lasix done for nothing....

I'll go without any tint if the tinting causes that oily-looking film when used with polarized sunglasses. I know tints can do this, but I'm wondering specifically about clear Exoshield.

My shop tells me XPEL advised him they already have kits available for the R1T, which will simply the process. I'll share pictures of all once it's done, as well as contact information for this Westside Portland-area shop. I've have a couple of friends with multiple Porsches wrapped there, and they rave about how much they love the results. I've seen three of them, and can personally confirm that all look great and are fully drool-proof. ?
Hey Duck, I had the front side windows of my F150 tinted to match the tint on the rear windows a couple of years ago. At first I was shocked driving at night as you do lose some visibility. But you adjust and get used to it after awhile. There is no question that I'll have it done on my R1T as it makes a huge positive difference during the day, especially in the summer here in the south. Definitely worth the trade off.

BTW, great thread. Thanks to y"all for this education. I've learned a lot.

TXRIV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Technology Sales

Please share pictures and thoughts once you are done, definitely interested in how this went. I spoke to XPEL in Dallas today, and got a quote for $2,195 for the front (not full truck). I have never had PPF but seems like a great option for the R1T given the vertical front end.....are you also considering ceramic coating?

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
.....I spoke to XPEL in Dallas today, and got a quote for $2,195 for the front (not full truck). I have never had PPF but seems like a great option for the R1T given the vertical front end.....are you also considering ceramic coating?
I talked with Brent, at Clear Bra North Dallas, the one in Argyle. I'll be getting an estimate soon. Thanks for sharing the quote. I'm also considering the ceramic coating and window/windshield tinting.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Here is a quote I received from Xpel Houston. I am definitely going to tint the windows. I am not sure yet if I am going to do PPF. My delivery window is July-September so I still have time to decide.

@kanundrum Do you recommend tinting the windshield or is just the sides OK?

For your 2022 Rivian R1S:

For XPEL Ultimate Plus to cover the painted surfaces you inquired about:
Full Hood, Fenders, Mirrors and Bumper:
$2,095

Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating starts at $1,395 (Exterior) Paint Correction is performed prior to coating and we would need to see the vehicle in person to provide an accurate quote.

XPEL PRIME is our industry leading window film with a 99.5% UV protection rating and a lifetime warranty. PRIME XR has a Nano-ceramic/IR layer which provides up to 88% IR (Infrared) heat rejection and PRIME XR+ provides up to 98% heat rejection rating.

Tint All Sides & Back:
Prime XR is $550
Prime XR+ is $750

Additional Features:
Windshield:

XR 70 Black $295
XR 70 PLUS $395[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

TXRIV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Technology Sales
I talked with Brent, at Clear Bra North Dallas, the one in Argyle. I'll be getting an estimate soon. Thanks for sharing the quote. I'm also considering the ceramic coating and window/windshield tinting.
Cool, please let me know what they say. I am following up tomorrow to ask about ceramic and paint correction and will let you know

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cool, please let me know what they say. I am following up tomorrow to ask about ceramic and paint correction and will let you know
Thanks, I will. I hope to set up an appointment on the 30th, or as close to that date as he has available.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Please share pictures and thoughts once you are done, definitely interested in how this went. I spoke to XPEL in Dallas today, and got a quote for $2,195 for the front (not full truck). I have never had PPF but seems like a great option for the R1T given the vertical front end.....are you also considering ceramic coating?
I am considering a ceramic coat on the XPEL Stealth wrap. I originally looked into Suntek's matted coat, in part because it is hydrophobic, but XPEL's self-healing Satin finish won the day. A good ceramic coat will give the XPEL a similar easy-rinse finish for a couple of years.

I'm still researching the cost/benefit of having any wrap treated with a ceramic final coat, and hope some of you with experience can weigh in on the question.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Here is a quote I received from Xpel Houston. I am definitely going to tint the windows. I am not sure yet if I am going to do PPF. My delivery window is July-September so I still have time to decide.

@kanundrum Do you recommend tinting the windshield or is just the sides OK?

For your 2022 Rivian R1S:

For XPEL Ultimate Plus to cover the painted surfaces you inquired about:
Full Hood, Fenders, Mirrors and Bumper:
$2,095

Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating starts at $1,395 (Exterior) Paint Correction is performed prior to coating and we would need to see the vehicle in person to provide an accurate quote.

XPEL PRIME is our industry leading window film with a 99.5% UV protection rating and a lifetime warranty. PRIME XR has a Nano-ceramic/IR layer which provides up to 88% IR (Infrared) heat rejection and PRIME XR+ provides up to 98% heat rejection rating.

Tint All Sides & Back:
Prime XR is $550
Prime XR+ is $750

Additional Features:
Windshield:

XR 70 Black $295
XR 70 PLUS $395

Honestly I am not a fan of windshield tinting so its really your call, just keep in mind any tint ceramic etc may interfere with some systems if sensors are behind windshields (forgot for the moment if there are any).

Pricing wise its all subjective but paint correction and ceramic coating is a must if you are doing PPF imho. Personally I will only be tinting sides and a windshield visor tint strip.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

For some strange reason I hadn’t seen this post before today. Very informative. I’ve done some paint correction on previous cars but find it too time consuming(other hobbies take precedence). I’m a fan of Adam’s products from when I lived in Colorado and attended several of their open house “lessons”.
After scoping out the Richmond VA service center and getting to see the managers Rivian Blue R1T, I have a feeling we’re gonna definitely do some paint correction. The paint had a ton of Orange Peel. As far as care and washing, I’m very confident that the service center(like most car dealerships) will only make the paint worse. The truck had a ton of swirl.

I forgot to respond to this but orange peel you see is sometimes part of the paint process as weird as it sounds and can only be cured by wetsanding. I think if you can get away with some basic clean up to make it so slick you can't see peel its a better effort than wetsanding a brand new vehicle no matter how much of a professional you are.

For the DMV area I reccomend All American Paint Protection (Rockville) and Speed and Tech Motoring(Near Dulles). Also there is TLC Auto Detail in VA as well who I hear does great work but when I used then 10+ years ago I was not impressed. I know for a fact they have gotten better tho.

Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Honestly I am not a fan of windshield tinting so its really your call, just keep in mind any tint ceramic etc may interfere with some systems if sensors are behind windshields (forgot for the moment if there are any).

Pricing wise its all subjective but paint correction and ceramic coating is a must if you are doing PPF imho. Personally I will only be tinting sides and a windshield visor tint strip.
Thanks. That is good advice. I didn’t even think about the potential impact to sensors if I tinted the windshield. I got this quote before I saw your post about doing paint correction prior to PPF, but I know now that paint correction is a must if applying PPF.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Thanks. That is good advice. I didn’t even think about the potential impact to sensors if I tinted the windshield. I got this quote before I saw your post about doing paint correction prior to PPF, but I know now that paint correction is a must if applying PPF.

My easiest explanation is nail polish (universal understanding). If you have chipped nail polish you wouldn't put a clear on it to protect the chips etc. You would correct it so it looks new, then protect it with a clear (concept wise the same). Same with ceramic coating/ppf really.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Xpel Stealth with ceramic on the Xpel is what I went with on my 2021 Model S. 70% tint on windows. You could certainly go darker with the tint. I used Detail Authority in Fairfax VA. Excellent work. I plan to do this on my R1T in LA Silver, or whatever color I end up with.
Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread TMS Stealth Wra

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was away from a pen today when the estimator called. The only thing I'm accurate on is the price for full PPF (10 yr. warranty). It's $6,500, including ceramic coating (5 yr. warranty). I would think paint correction is included, but I forgot to ask. Any other package and you pay for the ceramic, which he quoted as $1,500,

Window Tint, 4 door windows and back-$780
Windshield-$395

He seems to be in line with others, but maybe a little more expensive. He has a really nice, clean shop.

The quote you received, for the front, is less than what I was quoted, but I can't remember the exact price.
Sponsored