Paint Care Protection Thread

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It appears to be the entirety of both doors. I could see/feel the edge of it when opening the doors, but don't see any other seams on the door.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Got my call today and am super excited!
I’ve been getting Xpel quotes and was told they can wrap a glass roof since the wrap would crack; is this true?
What’s the best way (ceramic?) to protect the roof?
Any film that absorbs a significant amount of solar energy will cause that side of the glass to heat up much more than the other side. That can theoretically cause cracks in the glass because of uneven thermal expansion. The window tint films, including the ones that block UV and help with heat, are usually selected carefully to not be a problem.

FWIW, tempered glass also shouldn't be a problem generally, but I can possibly understand a shop just not wanting to take a chance.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Alright, @kanundrum and y'all! With delivery around the corner, what are your final thoughts on ceramic, PPF, etc? I was thinking PPF the front fenders, bumper, hood and A pillars. Is that too much? They want $2300 for a truck.

And how about ceramic coating, is it really worth it? They charge $3500 for full application of C.quartz finest reserve. My understanding from reading here and Googling, it protects for 5+ years and makes cleaning way easier. But $3500 can also buy like 7 years is biannual detailing/waxing.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Alright, @kanundrum and y'all! With delivery around the corner, what are your final thoughts on ceramic, PPF, etc? I was thinking PPF the front fenders, bumper, hood and A pillars. Is that too much? They want $2300 for a truck.

And how about ceramic coating, is it really worth it? They charge $3500 for full application of C.quartz finest reserve. My understanding from reading here and Googling, it protects for 5+ years and makes cleaning way easier. But $3500 can also buy like 7 years is biannual detailing/waxing.

Few things

You shouldn't PPF with out paint correction, is paint correction included with the $2300 cost for the front end? If so that is a good deal. Id say go for it.

The Ceramic application imho shouldn't be more than 1k or so for the WHOLE vehicle. No matter how good the ceramic is, its not worth $3500. I know C.quartz and it is one of the best out there but no ceramic last 3,4, 5 years especially if the vehicle is sitting in the elements. Unless you aren't driving it and its garage kept youd be better off spending money on a yearly or every 2 years paint correction/coating.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Few things

You shouldn't PPF with out paint correction, is paint correction included with the $2300 cost for the front end? If so that is a good deal. Id say go for it.

The Ceramic application imho shouldn't be more than 1k or so for the WHOLE vehicle. No matter how good the ceramic is, its not worth $3500. I know C.quartz and it is one of the best out there but no ceramic last 3,4, 5 years especially if the vehicle is sitting in the elements. Unless you aren't driving it and its garage kept youd be better off spending money on a yearly or every 2 years paint correction/coating.
The PPF doesn't include paint correction, but the ceramic does.

They are running a special right now for C.Quartz SIC full body application for $1k with minor paint correction. Seeing as I'd bring it to them brand new, this should be enough, right?

It will be garage kept, but also off-roading at least once a month. ??‍♂

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The PPF doesn't include paint correction, but the ceramic does.

They are running a special right now for C.Quartz SIC full body application for $1k with minor paint correction. Seeing as I'd bring it to them brand new, this should be enough, right?

It will be garage kept, but also off-roading at least once a month. ??‍♂

So $3300 for front PPF and full paint correction with ceramic?

Not too bad tbh. If you love their quality of work I'd say totally worth it.

I'd say worth it and yea A new vehicle would qualify under that unless you have a dark color. I think LG won't be too hard too correct.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So $3300 for front PPF and full paint correction with ceramic?

Not too bad tbh. If you love their quality of work I'd say totally worth it.

I'd say worth it and yea A new vehicle would qualify under that unless you have a dark color. I think LG won't be too hard too correct.
I'll have LG, and I do like their work. I'm definitely getting tint and windshield UV done there, they fixed my tint on my Land Rover before and it was ?

Thanks for the advice! I feel better dropping another $4k after delivery

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'll have LG, and I do like their work. I'm definitely getting tint and windshield UV done there, they fixed my tint on my Land Rover before and it was ?

If you're a long time customer and getting everything else done at the same time definitely should appreciate your business! Maybe even worth setting up a group buy!

I say support your amazing local detailer if they rock and are amicable to work with you on everything!

Tonytose

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi s4
I have the L.A. Silver R1T on order. My plan is to add full coverage Xpel Stealth (matte finish) and to ceramic coat the PPF.

I have the same treatment on my 2021 Tesla Model S (Solid Black) and it looks great.

It should give the L.A. Silver a different and more complex look.
i plan to do the same. My guide just contacted me should get my la silver in April . Did you find any pics of la silver with matte ppf?

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant

Hey @Riviot, if / after you get this done please share your thoughts and some photos for us other Washingtonians. Also, if you're happy with the work the place you took it.

Thanks! And happy for your delivery!

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Hey @Riviot, if / after you get this done please share your thoughts and some photos for us other Washingtonians. Also, if you're happy with the work the place you took it.

Thanks! And happy for your delivery!
Second this! Also curious, @Riviot if you explored doing a full PPF coat and how much they quoted for something like that. I'm interested in doing a matte film on my R1S but it sounds like it could get super expensive.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Second this! Also curious, @Riviot if you explored doing a full PPF coat and how much they quoted for something like that. I'm interested in doing a matte film on my R1S but it sounds like it could get super expensive.
I didn't ask about full PPF but their website says $8500 for truck/SUV.

I went with paint correction and full front PPF including door cups and headlights for $3000, and C.Quartz finest reserve ceramic on full body, wheels and glass with interior coating for $1900, and windshield UV and front 2 window tint for $600. They bumped me up on the C.quartz, knocked $500 off, and threw in interior coating, so I couldn't turn it down.

I think bc it's such a new vehicle and they get to post cool photos online, they gave me the discount. They also said they have 3 other Rivians lined up to work on.

Scheduled to go in first week of April and be there 6 days. Really hope my step 8 unlocks s00n!

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I didn't ask about full PPF but their website says $8500 for truck/SUV.

I went with paint correction and full front PPF including door cups and headlights for $3000, and C.Quartz finest reserve ceramic on full body, wheels and glass with interior coating for $1900, and windshield UV and front 2 window tint for $600. They bumped me up on the C.quartz, knocked $500 off, and threw in interior coating, so I couldn't turn it down.

I think bc it's such a new vehicle and they get to post cool photos online, they gave me the discount. They also said they have 3 other Rivians lined up to work on.

Scheduled to go in first week of April and be there 6 days. Really hope my step 8 unlocks s00n!
$8,500 ... oof!! Yea, it definitely sounds like you got a good deal. Look forward to seeing pics when you have them!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

DuckTruck.
I was told by the guy who does it that it would probably cost a little less than a grand to get the truck done. Maybe more if I wanted to do glass, trim and wheels. I do live in the Midwest where things tend to be cheaper. He told me the materials would cost a couple hundred and that the rest was labor. There is a lot of stuff on YouTube regarding the IGL products. I think the Kenzo with graphene is the newest one
flabyboy,

Thanks to you, @kanundrum, @Temerarius ,@SeaGeo, @Jemel, and others for the education and experience regarding all of these methods, options, and specific products. After researching and thinking about it, I'm having my R1T wrapped in XPEL Stealth and windows tinted and Exoshielded before I get it home. Will also i quire about ceramic over thw wrap. Should be done and in my garage within three weeks. Will post pics once delivered.

Thanks again to all of you!
I had Xpel and ceramic on my Porsche after an amazing paint correction. It was great for keeping it clean (did you know you can drive dust off a Porsche?) but even with the film the front end is still vulnerable and any imperfection seemed magnified on a perfect finish…

My Defender has the LR factory applied wrap and I’m happier with a matte finish than paint perfection. I’m also a lot less fussy about maintenance. It almost always looks fresh…

Now if only I knew what Launch Green in aftermarket matte looked like…
I'll let you know with pics what LG looks like with XPEL Stealth in a few weeks. It's considered "Satin" r/t full matte, but I think that'll let some of the metal flake still show. Also going with Exoshield on the windshield, if my guy can make it happen.

Did the ceramic coating leave the matted finish looking the same? That's one of my concerns about the possibility of putting on a ceramic coat.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
flabyboy,

Thanks to you, @kanundrum, @Temerarius ,@SeaGeo, @Jemel, and others for the education and experience regarding all of these methods, options, and specific products. After researching and thinking about it, I'm having my R1T wrapped in XPEL Stealth and windows tinted and Exoshielded before I get it home. Will also i quire about ceramic over thw wrap. Should be done and in my garage within three weeks. Will post pics once delivered.

Thanks again to all of you!

I'll let you know with pics what LG looks like with XPEL Stealth in a few weeks. It's considered "Satin" r/t full matte, but I think that'll let some of the metal flake still show. Also going with Exoshield on the windshield, if my guy can make it happen.

Did the ceramic coating leave the matted finish looking the same? That's one of my concerns about the possibility of putting on a ceramic coat.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Full PPF or just the front?
Sponsored