First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Just jumped on ABRP and started to enter my vehicle information. I have an R1T but what the heck is 105 Alpha, 135 Alpha, and 180 Alpha?
these are Pack size, we all currently have the 135 (large) battery packs. Don't be nervous it's really not difficult. The fact that you are taking a few minutes to plan ahead will ensure you don't get stranded. You got this.
Sponsored

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
Thank you for the vote of confidence. :)
The map in my truck estimates my travel time as almost by 3 hours more. Are there settings I need to check to maximize efficiency?
That depends. A few things that the truck could be picking up on that ABRP may not be:

-current state of charge (I’d suggest charging to 100% before leaving)
-drive mode (change to conserve mode)
-possibly picking up on some real-time traffic that ABRP doesn’t know about

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thank you for the vote of confidence. :)
The map in my truck estimates my travel time as almost by 3 hours more. Are there settings I need to check to maximize efficiency?
I’ve found the truck sometimes makes illogical decisions about charging. Sometimes it will route you to a slow(er) charger (like a 50kw one) when there’s a faster charger (like EA) that may be a bit further out of route. Sometimes going a bit further out of route to hit a faster charger will result in a shorter trip. Between the truck and ABRP, I’d default to ABRP and manually route to the chargers it suggests if those make sense and they’re shown to be working in PlusShare.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I wouldn't rely on the truck's nav personally for charging, I would double check everything with ABRP and then make sure whatever chargers you're going to use is working via PlugShare. I had over 80 miles range when I was about 15 miles from the charger this past weekend while on a trip and the Rivian changed my route without saying anything to a different charger that was less than a 50kWh charger. I then had to override the nav and force it to go to the actual EA charger by telling it to remove all charging stops, and it said I wasn't going to make it. Again, had 80 miles range and needed to go 15 miles and the truck was adamant I wasn't going to make it.

Also, there's an EA charger on my route that is down for maintenance (has been for weeks) and everyone on PlugShare is complaining about it, but the Rivian isn't aware of it and tries to route me to it. So yeah, i'd take the 5 minutes to double check everything with ABRP and PlugShare as that's what I do.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Not to further complicate things, but abrp has a ton of advanced options that let you hone in accuracy.

There are 2 options that I play with a lot. The first is the mi/kwh option. I found the default value to be way too low. I use 2.9 mi/kwh (value doesn't make sense, but abrp uses some other calcs to decrease this). The other option is the driving speed vs speed limit. If you constantly drive above the speed limit you will want to put in an adjuster since speed really impacts range. I put in 120% of the posted speed with max speed of 85mph.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Balistikb

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Healthcare
Wow, you guys are all great! I will be taking this trip only to end at my home and install a charger for a stable home solution.
:)

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I would like to drive my R1T from South Florida to North Georgia soon. I was wondering if PlugShare is the best app to plan my trip with charging. Thabks
Plugshare is your best bet for finding chargers and seeing availability.
Just be sure to check in and leave your feedback when you charge so other users who come behind you will have an idea what to expect from that charger.
Sponsored