Possible lemon.. need help

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

We bought our R1S in Sept 2023.
Absolutely love the vehicle, best car we’ve had. But my god we’ve had so many issues with it. In the last 7 months of ownership, we’ve had to take it to the service center 8 or 9 times. Multiple times for wind noise, steering wheel clicking noise, alignment issues, misaligned doors and now our car is making clicking/popping noises when we turn the vehicle.
don’t hate on Rivian at all, love them Infact. But I’m at the point where we’re just over this vehicle.
Is there a process to go through to start a lemon? Do we notify Rivian first to see if they’ll replace the vehicle? Or should we contact an attorney and go that route?
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

I’m pretty sure the process and options are different for each state, controlled by state law. Might be a good idea first to Google your state’s lemon law, see what the requirements are to go through the process, and if what you’ve been through qualifies for the lemon designation, contact Rivian. But I’m “speaking” from zero experience of having filed a lemon law claim myself. I hope this works out for you and that you can get the R1S replaced.

Ohm Boy

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I've had a few friends go through lemon law proceedings on non rivian vehicles. They all went through an attorney who didn't charge a dime until the case was settled. At least for them, all attorney's fees and cost of vehicle ownership was paid back to them. Every company has lemons and Rivian, Tesla, Mercedez, BMW.. etc aren't any different. Good Luck..

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

We bought our R1S in Sept 2023.
Absolutely love the vehicle, best car we’ve had. But my god we’ve had so many issues with it. In the last 7 months of ownership, we’ve had to take it to the service center 8 or 9 times. Multiple times for wind noise, steering wheel clicking noise, alignment issues, misaligned doors and now our car is making clicking/popping noises when we turn the vehicle.
don’t hate on Rivian at all, love them Infact. But I’m at the point where we’re just over this vehicle.
Is there a process to go through to start a lemon? Do we notify Rivian first to see if they’ll replace the vehicle? Or should we contact an attorney and go that route?
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
“…Best car we’ve had.” must visit service center greater than once a month in first year of ownership…

Is this the automotive equivalent of Battered Woman’s Syndrome?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jambaman84

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

“…Best car we’ve had.” must visit service center greater than once a month in first year of ownership…

Is this the automotive equivalent of Battered Woman’s Syndrome?
Haha possibly. It is a great car. I bought an R1T last month too. I just want one that works all the time, properly.

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

Haha possibly. It is a great car. I bought an R1T last month too. I just want one that works all the time, properly.
I’ve had to invoke the Lemon Law once many years ago. Was not a fun experience but did eventually work out.

I’d be considering it with this many visits to service. I’m glad your R1T is much better. Keep the formum family updated and Godspeed!

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Sorry about your troubles, it must suck. Side note: How would this work with a Lease?🤔

OP
OP
jambaman84

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thank you! I’m not sure for a lease. We bought ours with cash. I’m gonna reach out to some lawyers on Monday and see what they say

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Lookup your state lemon law. You have to meet all the conditions for it to be considered a lemon and you have to follow a certain process.

If you want to make it easier, go above and beyond on time or repair attempts. I had to lemon my Tesla. My state requires 3 repair attempts for the same issue or a cumulative of 30 days out of service (in the shop). We took it in 5 times before sending the lemon letter when it was in for the 6th attempt.

If you go above and beyond it makes your case stronger.

In your case though it sounds like Rivian is resolving the issues but I hear you that it's frustrating to have to keep taking it in.

I am not an attorney.

Jeep Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You have several options. The first is to attempt to work something out directly with Rivian; let's just let that statement stand on its own.

Lemon law consumer protections are typically based in state law, although you could make a case under federal warranty law. @COdogman posted a link to California lemon law which highlights the 3 sets of circumstance required to make a claim under CA law so long as the problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery, or within 18,000 miles.

Based on what you shared it seems like #3 may apply:

"The vehicle has been in the shop for more
than 30 days (not necessarily in a row)
for repair of any problems covered by its
warranty. This is called the Lemon Law
Presumption."

Typically one doesn't need a lawyer, you simply notify the manuafacturer, via registered, return receipt letter of your issues and you intent to have Rivian remedy the issue and state what you want. There are several outcomes possible, but Rivian must respond to your letter.

I recall an arbitration clause in my contract. I'm not certain that it would apply here, but it might. Regardless Rivian must respond.

Purchase or lease does not effect rights under most lemon laws.

For clarity I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
Sponsored