Sponsored

Price went up $8,150 for Gen2, am I missing something?

BDF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have a Gen1, R1S ready to pick up. It only has 2 options, All-Terrain Upgrade, and Standard+ (good for 280 mile range) for MSRP of $81,600.

If I configure a comparable Gen2, options include All-Terrain Upgrade, Large battery (also 280 mile range), BM + Dark Ashwood, mats, premium audio, camp speaker. I believe this equipment and spec matches exactly what I already have in the Gen1, but the cost is $89,750 for a difference of $8,150!

I know new model updates usually go up in price a little, but that's a 10% increase. Am I missing something?

I'm seriously asking. My wife, who rarely gets carsick, has gotten queazy on three test drives in the R1s. That's with me purposefully driving slowly and her in the front seat on the last one just to be safe. So I'm hoping the ride quality improvements on Gen2 would help here, but that's a hard price to swallow. Plus ordering this spec would forfeit my lowly 3% voucher since it wouldn't arrive until it expires, making the difference even larger. I don't mean to complain, just making sure I've got this straight before making a decision. I must have missed something.
Sponsored

Blakejakely

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Designer
You're right. There's a lot less deals now as they try to hit their margins. Specifically the large pack being smaller is really the biggest "value" loss to me. If it was LFP it would be more reasonable, but NMC with just 20kwh less is kind of a bummer.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
Same. Picking up a 2024 R1T in 2 weeks and same config for 2025 came out 6K over with 20 less range (large pack on 20 all terrains).
I think the upgrades might be worth the $6K difference but no doubt the leases / APR will be much higher.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You're right. There's a lot less deals now as they try to hit their margins. Specifically the large pack being smaller is really the biggest "value" loss to me. If it was LFP it would be more reasonable, but NMC with just 20kwh less is kind of a bummer.
And it has the same payload and curb weight as the max pack and same battery cells. Meaning it's a software locked max pack. On the other hand I expect that means it will charge faster than they are estimating but probably not any faster than a 2024 standard+

A 2024 Standard+ is a great deal for what you're getting.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BDF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Is she carsick because you haven't perfected regen braking or?
That's a real possibility. I've been driving a Tesla Model 3 for 5 years, so I'm no stranger to one pedal driving. However, the R1s seem more touchy, in both available settings. Hopefully this gets perfected. Plus there are rumors a less aggressive settings is coming, ya? I hope this is the problem and I can improve her experience as I get more acquainted with the vehicle.

Or... it's the less refined suspension in the Gen1. Then there's not much I can do. We've tried all the different settings.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It's probably you why she's getting car sick. I know lots of people who get car sick in EVs, including me, depending on the driver and not in rivians. The unanticipated decel and the stabbing of the throttle will quickly make people sick. The faster you acknowledge that, the sooner you can solve it. Sorry to be blunt.

Nobody gets car sick when I drive. My kid's girlfriend was hesitant to come on a trip with us because she immediately gets ill in her dad's model Y but is fine in ice cars. No troubles for her with us in the Rivian. Driver + in stop and go can make me queasy and I'm in the driver seat. That's coming from a scuba diver. Everyone's different.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
I'd definitely get the 2025 if I were buying a R1S since the suspension on the prior years is pretty bad compared to the R1T.

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
There was mention of a light regen mode coming for this exact circumstance. It is an issue with all EVs using regen, though does not effect every person the same.

It is currently mitigatable with smooth control through the right foot. You have to make effort and learn it, its not perfect and its not comparable to most ICE driving, but it is doable. I can easily make my wife feel sick in the R1T and I can easily keep her from feeling like that as well.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

pros and cons. but id say get the new one, its improved where it matters and it'll age better. the current R1S was designed at least 4-5 years ago which is why its Driver+ and processing power are already outdated.

cons
price being the main con. but you'll have an inferior audio system unless you upgrade to the premium. camp speaker, air compressor become options

pros
improved efficiency - you'll get way better vampire drain - industry leading according to Rivian and youre getting better range with smaller batteries, improved suspension. improved processing so you'll have better Driver+ in the future, way better cameras, adaptive headlights, turn signal camera view, you wont have to deal with the absolutely dumb location of the interior door handle being blocked by your thigh.

Sponsored

Alanparkcity

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian T1T
Occupation
Retired
That's a real possibility. I've been driving a Tesla Model 3 for 5 years, so I'm no stranger to one pedal driving. However, the R1s seem more touchy, in both available settings. Hopefully this gets perfected. Plus there are rumors a less aggressive settings is coming, ya? I hope this is the problem and I can improve her experience as I get more acquainted with the vehicle.

Or... it's the less refined suspension in the Gen1. Then there's not much I can do. We've tried all the different settings.
Next time let her drive. Worked for my wife!

OP
OP

BDF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
pros and cons. but id say get the new one, its improved where it matters and it'll age better. the current R12 was designed at least 4-5 years ago which is why its Driver+ and processing power are already outdated.

cons
price being the main con. but you'll have an inferior audio system unless you upgrade to the premium. camp speaker, air compressor become optioons

pros
improved efficiency - you'll get way better vampire drain - industry leading according to Rivian and youre getting better range with smaller batteries, improved suspension. improved processing so you'll have better Driver+ in the future, way better cameras, adaptive headlights, turn signal camera view.
Thanks for the input, and I agree. In addition, I hope Gen2 improves my next biggest concern, reliability. The closest service center to me is an hour away in good traffic, and their lead time is currently 4 weeks.

I'll either roll the dice on the Gen1 and hope I get a "good one" and can learn to drive it smoothly while getting a great deal on a 2 year lease. Or... wait and see how reliability and long term reviews shake out on the Gen2 and purchase it for the long term down the road. I'm not in too big a hurry, but I have been patiently waiting for several years.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Our 2024 R1S we leased in April has an MSRP of $96,250.

The new R1S with the same configuration has an MSRP of $94,200.

Some configurations may actually be lower cost.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

I have an R1S quad. Unless you want to go off road and love the acceleration when you are alone you may want to consider a different car. I doubt that the upgrade will solve all the problems with porpoising but it may be worth waiting and test driving the new model with your wife.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Next time let her drive. Worked for my wife!
😂 none of my carsick passengers have taken me up on my offer to let them drive (really, just one person, once).

I’m addicted to one-pedal driving with high regen. It makes off-roading all the more enjoyable.
Sponsored