Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

They are but I would hope they are doing as well or better than a sedan from 10 years ago when electric cars and the infrastructure were in their infancy.
Probably a larger market for a 265 mile sedan than a 200 mile SUV back then.
Sponsored

fbkr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As just a comparison to Tesla once again. The first signature Model S rolled off the line in 2012. My late 2014 was high 40k VIN and my early 2016 was mid 120k VIN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rivian is tracking close to or better than that roughly?
Sure, Rivian's doing great by that metric. But Tesla never priced the Model S at a 20% discount for one group of buyers while simultaneously selling at full price to another group. That's what I'm getting at - what is demand for full price Rivian?

And since we are talking Tesla - they never had anywhere close to the negative gross margins that Rivian has. Not when they launched the Roadster, not when they launched Model S, not when they launched the Model X...you get the point.

It's easy to sell a dollar for fifty cents. You'll find an awful lot of willing buyers at that price.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Sure, Rivian's doing great by that metric. But Tesla never priced the Model S at a 20% discount for one group of buyers while simultaneously selling at full price to another group. That's what I'm getting at - what is demand for full price Rivian?

And since we are talking Tesla - they never had anywhere close to the negative gross margins that Rivian has. Not when they launched the Roadster, not when they launched Model S, not when they launched the Model X...you get the point.

It's easy to sell a dollar for fifty cents. You'll find an awful lot of willing buyers at that price.
Well, we don't know the gross margins of Tesla back then except for what they told us (30%). They always played that shell game of inventory on-hand and GAAP vs Non-GAAP.

And once again, the whole idea that Rivian is "losing" 20-30k per vehicle produced is extrapolated from the earnings report where their expenses exceed their revenue, and then dividing that deficit by the number of vehicles sold. We don't know their actual production costs. And the pre-price hike number is unknown as well, but I doubt it's enough to break them or else they wouldn't have honored it.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Unless I'm mistaken, bigger margin price-wise is of less importance than renewing interest in the line for Rivian. As of now, the more they can sell, the more profits in the books from here on end. You don't want to price the top end high enough to lower interests in the entire brand - that would be going against EV market trends. Let's not follow Porsche's pricing structure - a Rivian is not a Porsche.
A Rivian is a lot like an electric Land Rover. With a splash of Patagonia.

Land Rover sells Range Rover SVs for $300k Plus.

If someone wants to spend $300k on a Rivan, help Rivian become profitable, and get a really cool Rivian in return why should anyone lobby against it?

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Would you go with the Ascent 1000+ HP Quad motor package if it was only available with $10,000 max pack?

I would imagine the Ascent upgrade would cost $7,000 - $10,000 versus original quad motor.

I can see Rivian replacing the 835 HP Bosch quad motor with 855 HP in house quad motor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
larrydallas

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
I think at this point, many of the “early adopters” (can we still call everyone that or have we crossed-over?) of the R1 would probably answer “yes” as they’re generally likely to be less cost sensitive on average and more performance/status oriented. As the R1 platform matures and Rivian breeches mainstream pricing with the R2, that obviously changes the typical buyer’s profile a bit and expands their target market.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Would you go with the Ascent 1000+ HP Quad motor package if it was only available with $10,000 max pack?
I expect it'll be a requirement if only because of the additional power requirements for the higher horsepower. For sure I will be willing to upgrade but I'm still going to pretend to be price sensitive about it.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I expect it'll be a requirement if only because of the additional power requirements for the higher horsepower. For sure I will be willing to upgrade but I'm still going to pretend to be price sensitive about it.
Same pack voltages. Maybe with more modules, but what they have is what they have.

RivianCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A car
I might be completely wrong, but the "higher performance" model might be talking about the R3X?
Sponsored