First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I get wanting a locker for a dual motor that has an open differential, but it makes zero sense with a quad motor that each can be independently controlled. It would be a downgrade to lock them together. This is coming from someone with two locked Land Cruisers, I’m sure I’ll get flamed anyway 😆
Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I get wanting a locker for a dual motor that has an open differential, but it makes zero sense with a quad motor that each can be independently controlled. It would be a downgrade to lock them together. This is coming from someone with two locked Land Cruisers, I’m sure I’ll get flamed anyway 😆
I might be wrong, but perhaps it’d be possible to “lock” the two motors on the same axle, and drive that combined power to one wheel. Right now on quads, the max power you get on one wheel is that wheel’s motor. Whereas perhaps you can have both motors’ power directed at one wheel

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I might be wrong, but perhaps it’d be possible to “lock” the two motors on the same axle, and drive that combined power to one wheel. Right now on quads, the max power you get on one wheel is that wheel’s motor. Whereas perhaps you can have both motors’ power directed at one wheel
What I’ve learned from driving locked rigs is you are just moving breakage points. Get stuck on obstacle, get frustrated and buy a locker. Now clear that obstacle but immediately try harder ones, find your limit and break axle. Get frustrated and buy chromo axles, rinse & repeat this time breaking steering. Buy hydro ram … it just never ends. I’ve never had 200 hp at a single wheel off road, but maybe you’d need 400 … I’m betting a half shaft breaks putting that through a single wheel though. Sigh.

Now - I would like upgraded TREs 😎

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Looks like the strength of the coupling will be electronically adjustable here. Sounds like a nightmare to get the control systems just right but computers are pretty good at that stuff if they have the necessary data and algorithms.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
What I’ve learned from driving locked rigs is you are just moving breakage points. Get stuck on obstacle, get frustrated and buy a locker. Now clear that obstacle but immediately try harder ones, find your limit and break axle. Get frustrated and buy chromo axles, rinse & repeat this time breaking steering. Buy hydro ram … it just never ends. I’ve never had 200 hp at a single wheel off road, but maybe you’d need 400 … I’m betting a half shaft breaks putting that through a single wheel though. Sigh.

Now - I would like upgraded TREs 😎
Agree even 200hp on a single wheel is nice, but considering it's a 7000+ lb vehicle I can see cases (off road) where more could be useful or even necessary. Would you agree?

Sponsored

OP
OP
larrydallas

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
Was at my local SC yesterday and floated the info out I originally had heard…. One of the staff had the following to say:

- Indirectly confirmed the existence of a higher-end model (didn’t confirm the name)

- Expected it to drop in Q3’24

- The light bar would be about half the thickness, but still have the same headlights

- There would be other minor aesthetic modifications, including some body changes

- Said it’s an in-house quad-motor

- Chuckled at the comment about the front tires coming off the ground during initial testing and speculated that was a bit hard to believe, but said it was “well over 1000hp”

That’s about all the nuggets I can remember!

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As exciting as the thought of more HP is, it does not seem like the best business move at this point.
Would it not make more sense to reintroduce a trimmed down Explore to expand the market share?
-simpler interior
-simpler suspension
-removable roof panels(seems like a good aftermarket opportunity)
-streamline drive modes
-less electronic fail points
Is it better to sell less high margin units or more lower margin units if that is in fact the case.

Last edited:

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Moving upmarket while they have a demand problem at current pricing would seem to be a highly suspect business decision.

It's more likely that they introduce a mid-cycle refresh that (1) takes out costs - this is already public information and (2) offers minor improvements throughout along with new front plastic bumper cap as is often the case with these things since this is cheap.

What I'd guess could happen:
- different seat material options, maybe a fabric/wool for those who don't want to sit on petroleum-fueled vinyl seats and, hopefully, a natural leather (doubtful, but I can hope)
- battery upgrades - both introduction of a standard pack as well as a revised large pack with better thermals for faster charging
- heat pump - for efficiency and range
- remove chrome trim around roofline of R1S, it's just unnecessary glare and expense
- real wireless charging pad for phones
- remove camp speaker as standard equipment, replace with lockable cubby/storage tray; add coldbox option for drinks (since power is already there)
- one-touch frosted roof - a la BMW and Porsche, or at least a snap-in factory sunshade option
- oh, and a ~200-400lb weight reduction by simplifying throughout the vehicle adding nominally to range

So I'm betting more on the 'Descent' model that comes in at $72K with a $7,500 option package.

Oh, and my wildcard is a single-motor Enduro RWD super-mega range model with the large pack. In 2025 this will come with the standard pack to provide a price bridge as we near R2 production in 2026.

Last edited:

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
single-motor Enduro RWD super-mega range model with the large pack
... with coil spring only (no air shocks) should really get that price down.

But, I really doubt you'll get much more range with a single motor than the dual motor with a disconnect. I do prefer RWD to default FWD though for most vehicles.

I think they want to keep the price up right now while they still can. But I'm sure they'll have to come out with cheaper versions in the future. They might be able to wait for R2, but that's still kind of far away if they want to keep on increasing R1 production and sales.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T

But, I really doubt you'll get much more range with a single motor than the dual motor with a disconnect. I do prefer RWD to default FWD though for most vehicles.

I think they want to keep the price up right now while they still can. But I'm sure they'll have to come out with cheaper versions in the future. They might be able to wait for R2, but that's still kind of far away if they want to keep on increasing R1 production and sales.
Removing the air suspension alone would probably save thousands of dollars of costs if you include all of the service time saved as well. This feels like a logical step and the option I'd personally choose.

I agree with everything said, though. Rivian needs to get the price down, not drive it up through an extremely niche performance segment. That's the Lucid model of how not to sell cars as a new manufacturer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S

They have just about exhausted demand at current price points within their existing service radii. That's why the R1T/S shops are now open to all with just 1-2 week delivery times in areas that Rivian services. Keeping the prices up is a charade until they can start taking out big chunks of cost. If I were them I'd do my factory shutdown the last two weeks of March (helps justify lower Q1 production and delivery numbers to the Street) as they drive down COGS per vehicle. April should then see lower-priced variants coming available and if Q2 numbers are light can also justify that due to the ramp of the lower-priced vehicles. That buys them until Q3. It's a tightrope.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
They have just about exhausted demand at current price points within their existing service radii. That's why the R1T/S shops are now open to all with just 1-2 week delivery times in areas that Rivian services. Keeping the prices up is a charade until they can start taking out big chunks of cost. If I were them I'd do my factory shutdown the last two weeks of March (helps justify lower Q1 production and delivery numbers to the Street) as they drive down COGS per vehicle. April should then see lower-priced variants coming available and if Q2 numbers are light can also justify that due to the ramp of the lower-priced vehicles. That buys them until Q3. It's a tightrope.
I also expect them to start delivering standard pack batteries on the R1's after the shutdown. I'm sure that will unlock more demand. Not everyone needs the really long range of the current Large and Max packs.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Moving upmarket while they have a demand problem at current pricing would seem to be a highly suspect business decision.

It's more likely that they introduce a mid-cycle refresh that (1) takes out costs - this is already public information and (2) offers minor improvements throughout along with new front plastic bumper cap as is often the case with these things since this is cheap.

What I'd guess could happen:
- different seat material options, maybe a fabric/wool for those who don't want to sit on petroleum-fueled vinyl seats and, hopefully, a natural leather (doubtful, but I can hope)
- battery upgrades - both introduction of a standard pack as well as a revised large pack with better thermals for faster charging
- heat pump - for efficiency and range
- remove chrome trim around roofline of R1S, it's just unnecessary glare and expense
- real wireless charging pad for phones
- remove camp speaker as standard equipment, replace with lockable cubby/storage tray; add coldbox option for drinks (since power is already there)
- one-touch frosted roof - a la BMW and Porsche, or at least a snap-in factory sunshade option
- oh, and a ~200-400lb weight reduction by simplifying throughout the vehicle adding nominally to range

So I'm betting more on the 'Descent' model that comes in at $72K with a $7,500 option package.

Oh, and my wildcard is a single-motor Enduro RWD super-mega range model with the large pack. In 2025 this will come with the standard pack to provide a price bridge as we near R2 production in 2026.
I'd kill for all of this

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Don't expect stripped/less featured R1 series. If anything look for something to come in above Adventure trim.

Rivian/RJ has said multiple times on the record saying that R1 represent what Rivian is, when asked about lowering the entry price or lower base model. That's what R2 is.

I don't know about all the spec but they have talked about how the customers are selecting higher cost options during an earnings call. So, expect something to come in above Adventure (since Launch Edition time has passed) with low cost to implement upgrades.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don't expect stripped/less featured R1 series. If anything look for something to come in above Adventure trim.

Rivian/RJ has said multiple times on the record saying that R1 represent what Rivian is, when asked about lowering the entry price or lower base model. That's what R2 is.

I don't know about all the spec but they have talked about how the customers are selecting higher cost options during an earnings call. So, expect something to come in above Adventure (since Launch Edition time has passed) with low cost to implement upgrades.
I believe there is room for both the higher and lower trim level. Looking at the page showing what everyone switched from to get into the R1 I believe there is plenty of room for a lower trim level R1. The new price structure though needed is above the tax credit level and beyond what many can or are willing to pay, it was fine at introductory price but not current pricing.

The R1 is marketed as an adventure vehicle not a luxury vehicle, there should be room for a more affordable spartan version(Explore) if that is what Rivian is.
The R2 will absolutely fill a need but not for those that have a need for a larger heavier duty vehicle.
The R2 will not meet my needs, but I also don't need a $110-150K(DM, SP-MP) CA truck, which I am sure is the case for thousands of others.

I believe they are now simply missing out on many potential buyers, that may not be serviced by the R2 or standard pack. An equally equipped new version to my LE is $38K CA more now, that alone has priced most out.
Sponsored