Sponsored

R1S got keyed--Gary didn't see a thing.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Unfortunately, walking out to my R1S in the parking lot after a nice father's day brunch this morning we noticed a wicked little scratch on my right front fender that was not there a few days ago. Looks like someone decided to leave a little memento with their key. It's not the worst bit of vandalism I've seen, but about a few inches or so it is down to the metal, and the gouge digs through the ceramic coating and fairly deep into the paint before tailing off, although since it's white, it's hard to see the rest unless you're near.

I leave Gear Guard on all the time, but unfortunately it didn't trigger for this. I've gone through every recording, and pulled the HD out of the car and looked through everything on my computer as well, and can't find a video with anything like a potential culprit. So at this point it is what it is and I've got to figure out how to deal with it.

Q: has anyone had experience with fixing short scratches like this? Any tips for what sort of place could reasonably fix it without having to repaint then entire fender or something? Fortunately, the mark doesn't go beyond one panel. I've got a paint pen but I fear that may look pretty janky if I go that way. So what do people suggest? Bring it to Rivian? Go to a fullblown bodyshop? DIY? Really just wondering what makes sense.

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone in this forum can appreciate, it's super annoying, especially given the lengths I take to keep her dent free. I've never owned a car as fine as this. I always annoy my passengers by parking in the farthest spots when in public places so I don't have to deal with door dings, I recently had it paint-corrected and ceramic coated, I keep it garaged, etc., but sure, some moron decides to make a point, for whatever reason (and I don't care what particular kink led them to do it: eat the rich upper-middle class? EVs are bad? hoodlum jollies?), it really really vexes me and I dearly wish I had footage. But alas, Gary got caught sleeping this time.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S got keyed--Gary didn't see a thing. R1S keyed

EDIT: Worse than I thought when I cleaned it off….. updated photo attached. Nice little triangle action on the scratching. Guess they took a couple passes at it.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S got keyed--Gary didn't see a thing. IMG_0224

Update:
Rivian suggested I take it to their certified partner, which conveniently is 5 mins from my house. Estimate: $2000 (they took $500 off their initial estimate when I told them this is coming out of pocket, which was nice.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

madhat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Lightly sand with higher grit like 1000 to smooth rough edges of the scratch followed by 2000.
Use paint pen to fill followed by sanding again to even out.
Ideally you’d apply a clear coat at that point, but you have to be careful as it can go hazy, so the safe bet is to apply a good wax and call it a day.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That is a bummer, I always perplexed at what causes a person to do things like this. 🙁

My suggestion is visit the place that did your paint correction and see if they can help with this.

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
My advice would be to take it to a good body shop.

Vandalism like this is typically covered under your comprehensive insurance coverage. You'll have a separate comprehensive deductible, but utilizing this will NOT increase or affect your premiums. That's the nature of comprehensive. Hit and runs, vandalism, things hitting you when the fall from a truck (but don't hit the ground first...then it is a collision and your rates will be affected), etc.

I wouldn't bother with paint pens/sanding on your own. Get it fixed. It doesn't matter if it costs $100 or $10,000 to fix because of the nature of comprehensive coverage.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 12 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Ast HR Director
If you use a hard drive to store everything, it likely is on the hard drive..

I had to pull out my hard drive to give a police officer some footage I had. It was not recorded on the "on-board" systems, but it was on my hard drive.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Here is an example of what someone with experience can do with a scratch.

Reactions: IGR

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

My advice would be to take it to a good body shop.

Vandalism like this is typically covered under your comprehensive insurance coverage. You'll have a separate comprehensive deductible, but utilizing this will NOT increase or affect your premiums. That's the nature of comprehensive. Hit and runs, vandalism, things hitting you when the fall from a truck (but don't hit the ground first...then it is a collision and your rates will be affected), etc.

I wouldn't bother with paint pens/sanding on your own. Get it fixed. It doesn't matter if it costs $100 or $10,000 to fix because of the nature of comprehensive coverage.
Could you elaborate on the fell off a truck but didn't hit the ground concept? I thought it is under comprehensive as long as no one is occupying your vehicle.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Could you elaborate on the fell off a truck but didn't hit the ground concept? I thought it is under comprehensive as long as no one is occupying your vehicle.
Sure, I can comment on my experience only across maybe ~5 or so insurance providers.

If you're following behind a truck and a tool falls off...

- If the tool hits your car and does not impact the ground before hitting it, it is covered under comprehensive because in the insurance providers' eyes, there's nothing you could have done to avoid it.

- If the tool hits the ground first, and then your car, then it is classified as a collision. You hit something. Then it is a normal accident where you can have potential premium impacts from a claim.

Is it silly? Yes, but it is what I learned over the many years I've been driving. It is similar to how homeowner insurance policies classify floods. If water enters your house but doesn't go all the way through the house, then it is not a flood. If it goes all the way through, it is. And insurance will cover it differently or not at all depending on your coverage.

Reactions: IGR

Sponsored

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Sure, I can comment on my experience only across maybe ~5 or so insurance providers.

If you're following behind a truck and a tool falls off...

- If the tool hits your car and does not impact the ground before hitting it, it is covered under comprehensive because in the insurance providers' eyes, there's nothing you could have done to avoid it.

- If the tool hits the ground first, and then your car, then it is classified as a collision. You hit something. Then it is a normal accident where you can have potential premium impacts from a claim.

Is it silly? Yes, but it is what I learned over the many years I've been driving. It is similar to how homeowner insurance policies classify floods. If water enters your house but doesn't go all the way through the house, then it is not a flood. If it goes all the way through, it is. And insurance will cover it differently or not at all depending on your coverage.
Appreciate that, I did not know those nuances.

OP
OP
Whale Blubber

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Quick update: Ha, so I started trying to DIY this thing, for amusement if nothing else. I started with what seemed like the easiest bit at the back end of the scratch. I went over it with some super fine grit sandpaper (2000 grain) and then applied my Glacier White paint pen (got it previously from Tsportline). Tried to narrow the application by laying painters tape above and below the scratch so the paint wouldn't spread. But honestly (and surprisingly to noone who knows me), it looks awful, probably worse than the scratch itself. I'm just not deft enough of hand or patient enough of spirit a some combination of the two. Anyway, I checked in with Rivian on the chat line, got through in about 20 minutes and was transferred to Service, and predictably they suggested I try one of the Rivian certified body shops near me. To my great fortune, there's one about 300 yards from my gym—praise to Austin's strong Rivian presence, I suppose—and so this evening I swung by to get an estimate. They thought it wouldn't be too big a job, but I haven't seen the estimate yet. Will report back when I have a dollar figure!

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
I care as much for my R1S and do similar things to what you do. Pricey ride. Let the pro's handle it. You and your magnificent R1S beast deserve it.

Mine, not even 6 months old, developed corrosion under paint on one of the rear doors. PPF and ceramic coating will come off, repainted already it will be, both door and rear quarter panel. Nothing I can do but have the pro's fix it and move on.
Sponsored

Last edited: