Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Do everyone here just automatically think the Rivian is superior? Is this forum really that fan-boyish?
It is. Whenever you bring up Rivian's deficiencies, especially off-road on this board, you are summarily bombarded with "you don't know how to drive" and the Rivian is "faster than any other SUV", and "Every other vehicle is trash" posts. It's quite entertaining.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The funny thing is this ground did not "present" as mud at all. We weren't sinking in the ground as we were walking, but if you disturb it just a bit, it turns into chocolate pudding
Several years ago I was doing a drill job. Drive my POS Ford Ranger out into the grass field we were going to drill in for the planned development. Totally fine, no movement. The driller backed up their trailer with the drill rig on it, totally fine for about 20 feet, and then it suffered a bearing capacity failure and in less than a second sunk up to the axles. Big ass tires and wheels.

You experienced the variability of soil, and some poor soil conditions. As others noted this has less to do with the vehicle capabilities and more to do with weight and the soil.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

You ordered the 22s; looks like you were really wanting the most adventure-capable vehicle possible!

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
Okay, as a crop and soil scientist who has driven many trucks and tractors through a variety of types of mud, I have to "wade" in on this thread.

The way water moves in the soil can be very different 10 feet apart, depending on soil type and compaction of the soil. So driving two different vehicles in adjacent paths is not a true comparison of how they do in mud. One spot may be an inch or two lower and had considerably more water pooling on it, one spot may have drained better.

Tires are important but no guarantee of getting through the mud. I've experienced this in big tractors with normal lug tires (a lot of tread). The photo below is not one of my tractors, but you get the idea.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S vs Model Y in mud 1696767824447

The only two ways to deal with a mud hole are to hit it at speed if small enough and shallow enough, or to go around it. Otherwise you will get bogged down, as was the case with the tractor in the photo above.

Sponsored

strangelove

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black R1S, '23 Pacifica Hybrid, '17 Grand Sport CE
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

To the original post, you did come to an enthusiast ownership group specifically to sound angry about your experience, not ask for advice (as you later suggest). It was 100% whinging with little substance, so naturally you may get made fun of a bit. It doesn’t help anything that you picked one of the worst and most inconsistent forms off “off roading” to compare the two vehicles. Mud is like quicksand; scary, variable, and something you drive around in any vehicle if you can. Anything can get stuck in it, and the results are often random.

If you think this is a fanboy response, feel free to look up my R1S review and the resulting conversation.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Even the best off-roading Jeep is no match for muddy field, :CWL:

Rivian R1T R1S R1S vs Model Y in mud 20200314_154812

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
My Rivian got stuck in mud, but my bicycle made it out just fine. My truck is stupid, Rivian did a terrible job. I might as well switch back to my bicycle...
🤣

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Probably boils down to a really heavy vehicle with tires not great in mud.
Sponsored