Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Completely unrelated - Rivian.com/r3 still isn't live. But while I enjoy the use of the R1 light housing as the 0 in the "404" page, I just noticed that the charge port door opens wrong.
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 10.41.31.png
Looks like it opens like a regular door. The issue with that design is I can see it getting bumped and damaged more easily.

What would be cool is if he retracted inward and then rotated out of the way. I know that would be way more engineering....but would be cool.

What would nice as well is if they put a charging port on the front (CCS1) and then on the back (like the old gas tanks that were behind the license place) put a NACS......again, wishful thinking.
Sponsored

KSL0217

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Manager
If the front seat can be fold flat, will the front seat going to be manual operate or can be power still?

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I love the dual glove boxes and the real instrument panel. It’s better than I expected. I might not be a fan of the haptic steering wheel buttons, though.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Looks like it opens like a regular door. The issue with that design is I can see it getting bumped and damaged more easily.

What would be cool is if he retracted inward and then rotated out of the way. I know that would be way more engineering....but would be cool.

What would nice as well is if they put a charging port on the front (CCS1) and then on the back (like the old gas tanks that were behind the license place) put a NACS......again, wishful thinking.
I hope they don't, because that means it will be even harder for them to make it at a profit. Two charging ports adds cost and IMO a nice to have.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I hope they don't, because that means it will be even harder for them to make it at a profit. Two charging ports adds cost and IMO a nice to have.
true.....that's why I said wishful thinking. I don't see it happening. I do like the smaller charger door on the rear passenger side. I wish they would have shown the NACS.

Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Surprised in 17 pages of posts here, no one mentioned the "lie flat" FRONT seats in the R2. Even mentioned a blow-up mattress they might provide. So on brand and smart!

Has anyone done that before?
Agreed.

Showing an air mattress might’ve begged the question - does it have an air compressor? I suspect that it won’t have an air compressor, or it would’ve been mentioned.

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1 2023
Occupation
Whatever
There are already 4 people logged in and waiting for the event to start, so best get in line!

Screenshot 2024-03-04 183317.png
Why do you have to make this such a "Coming Out Party" - Obvious the intention of the person in Marketing doing this !!!!!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

RivRyan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, ID4
Occupation
consulting
Surprised in 17 pages of posts here, no one mentioned the "lie flat" FRONT seats in the R2. Even mentioned a blow-up mattress they might provide. So on brand and smart!

Has anyone done that before?
Nobody camps in their car except homeless people. Far more people will use the passenger side folding seat to occasionally carry lumber or other long items. They need to market this realistically for a wide audience. In the Marques Brownlee video, RJ starts to hit this idea more effectively, going beyond sleeping there.

But he also tells Brownlee the retracting rear window could be convenient to get your surfboard in the car. They seem to think there's a huge market of west coast 23-year olds from wealthy families.

Camping inside your car and surfing aren't even really aspirational ideas for any large group of people.

They need to start showing scenes like this:
  • A spunky dog in the back, the owner getting his leash on through the rear window before getting him out.
  • A dad with his young son behind him and the front and rear passenger seats folded to make room for their skis. About a thousand times as many people ski as surf.
  • Someone easily putting a cooler in through the back window.
Surfing and camping were fine for the niche R1, but they need to move beyond.

These fun, relatable scenarios aren't off brand. But they expand the brand. That's the mission for Rivian now. Maintaining the high-end R1 market while pitching to the middle class.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think your definition of plenty and the mass market definition of plenty are very different.
I think your understanding of Rivian's market and mine are very different.

bbonkk

First Name
howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Citroen 2cv6, Tesla Model 3, Sprinter van, BMW x5
Occupation
pain in the ass
Clubs

I have an extra ticket at 6pm tonight. DM me if interested. It was for my wife who decided to stay at home. Looks like DM is maybe not available on the forum. Try reply

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
I think your definition of plenty and the mass market definition of plenty are very different.
I look at it like building a 4 wheel drive vehicle that can go off road, which people want, and which most of them will never do. People will think it is cool the seats fold flat and they can camp in it, and they will want it, and never do it.

Personally I have never done it and cannot think of a situation when I ever will. But I like the idea of it. Would I pay extra for it? No, but it attracts me to the brand. Marketing, baby!

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Looks like manual door handles like the Model Y/3. As an R1S owner I wouldn't switch to the R2 as they are pretty similar but it would be tempting as a new buyer to have the same basic vehicle at less money. I could see my wife driving an R3 as well. These are all going to sell for sure.
Sponsored