Sponsored

Range in Mojave preserve?

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Looking for feedback from anyone who has spent some time overlanding in the mojave preserve. Planning to run the mojave road in a few weeks east/west, enter at the start north of Needles and exit at the very end past Afton. The road is 150 miles, plus 15 on the front from EA charger in Needles to the start and 30 miles from the end to the RAN in Barstow. I do not expect to have 200 miles of range, 150 off-road, so am planning to do a midway recharge in Baker.

Question is whether I'll have enough range to even do that. Needles EA (charge to 100%!) to start of road is ~15 miles (paved), then ~100 on the road, then a final 15 (paved) to Baker for the charge.

After the charge its 15 (paved) back to the road, another 50 offroad, and a final 30 to Barstow.

Its the first leg I'm wondering about...I understand mileage offroad is very dependent on conditions etc...so seeking anybody with specific experience in the Mojave who can help give me some insight into real world range in the desert and whether my lil trip is nbd or asking for a tow.

@Ramble On Rivian had a post from December where he ran ~70 miles of the road (entered a bit later near Goff) but seemed to have plenty of range, exited baker but shot down to Barstow before charging...so I'm hopeful. Also from a recent post looks like he's literally running the road again now, so hopefully he sees this when back and has some data to share! Anyone else with knowledge on this area/route, feedback greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I did 70 miles of the road a few weeks back in an R1S. I started in Baker, charged to around 80%. Drove to the trail from there (about 20 miles paved) and headed east stopping at the Mojave Trail Mailbox and continuing on to Kelso Cima Rd and continuing east until I hit Lanfair Rd. I visited the Penny Tree. At that point, I was going to head south back to the interstate but I had made good time (maybe 2.5 hours) and I still had around 50% range so I continued east until I hit the mountains (maybe 10 miles east of Landair Rd). At that point it was getting late and I didn’t want to attempt the mountain passes at night so I turned around and headed back to Lanfair Rd (another 10 miles back). From Lanfair Rd, I headed south until I reached Goffs and then headed west toward the 40 freeway (guestimating around 10 miles of dirt driving and 20 miles of road driving from Mojave Rd to my charging stop). I stopped to charge the Rivian at the Chevron at Fenner. I arrived there with around 20% charge (I rode the entire way with 30 psi, so could have saved myself some range if I had inflated back up). I charged up to around 60% and headed to the RAN in Barstow. I feel like from where I ended my trip and turned around back to Lanfair, is only about 15 more miles to I95. I think I had enough range to get to I95 and still have 20% range to find a charger but I didn’t do enough research to see what chargers are around i95 and the Mojave trail intersection. The distance from Needles to where the Mojave Trail crossed i95 is only around 27 miles on paved roads. If I had to do it from Needles, I would charge to 100% and attempt to make it to Baker in one go (85% confident I could make it). If I got to Lanfair Rd and was getting lower on range then expected, I would go down to Fenner to charge up and get back to it. From Baker, you can come back down and get back on the trail and continue west toward Afton. Going slow and being mid to low 30 psi is not too bad on range. I will try it again in a few months. I just did it on a whim and it was better than expected on range, handling, and fun.

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

@Nuclianba

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_5354 Medium
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_5385 Medium
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_5380 Medium
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_5371 Medium
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_5366 Medium
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_5359 Medium
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_5345 Medium

Ah, behold the epic tale of my return from the wild expanse of the Mojave Road! Embarking from the dusty town of Needles, our caravan traversed a daunting 115 miles of unforgiving terrain, braving the elements and the unknown. With the rugged Kelbaker Road beckoning us towards civilization in Baker, our journey was fraught with peril and adventure.

Throughout our odyssey, spanning three days and two exhilarating nights, we ventured down countless offshoots, each promising its own unique trials and treasures. Yet, fate had a tempestuous twist in store for us. The heavens themselves seemed to conspire against our passage, unleashing torrents of wind, rain, hail, and even snow upon our intrepid band of adventurers.

But amidst the chaos of nature's fury, there was a beauty unmatched, a raw and untamed drama that unfolded across the desert landscape. The skies danced with thunderous crescendos, painting the horizon with flashes of lightning, while the rolling storms lent an air of majesty to the vast expanse before us.

@nu Yes, the Mojave Desert revealed its true essence to us, a realm where every gust of wind and drop of rain whispered tales of resilience and wonder. And though our bodies may have wearied, our spirits soared with the knowledge that we had braved the elements and emerged victorious, forever bound by the indomitable spirit of adventure.

I commenced my journey from Needles with a full 100% charge and a range of 315 miles. Upon reaching the charging station in Baker three days later, my charge had depleted to 35% with 113 miles of remaining range. Throughout the expedition, I implemented Camp Courtesy and Stay Off modes each night at camp, experiencing only a marginal 1% loss in charge per night.

The vehicle's performance on the trails surpassed expectations, demonstrating superior capability compared to typical standards. Accompanied by a Montero and a 4Runner, none of us encountered any significant challenges during the journey. However, my vehicle exhibited smoother and more assured handling.

Despite encountering rutted terrain in certain sections, attributed to recent rainfall, and navigating a steep and rocky climb out of the southern part of the Piute Range, the journey presented few instances of three-wheel scenarios, none of which posed safety concerns.

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImageWIuXSS

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImagebFdgbf

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImageBb33ny

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImageRxvqAN

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImageWd7uR6

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImageTUZhwc

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImage3A7vQ3

Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? tempImageSbz8wH

OP
OP
Nuclianba

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
@Ramble On Rivian amazing. Looks like a fantastic trip! Sounds like I'll have no issues. What excursions did you add to the adventure? Was looking at a night at camp phallus and definitely hitting the lava tubes. Did you run the drop into Watson Wash or take the bypass?

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

As far as the side trips I really couldn’t say. My friend was leading and we just followed. We stayed at balancing rock the first night and the cinder cone lava beds the 2nd night. You’ll have a great time with zero issues. If you look closely at one of my photos I put a sticker over the percentage/range I was having some unwarranted range anxiety 😬

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nuclianba

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
As far as the side trips I really couldn’t say. My friend was leading and we just followed. We stayed at balancing rock the first night and the cinder cone lava beds the 2nd night. You’ll have a great time with zero issues. If you look closely at one of my photos I put a sticker over the percentage/range I was having some unwarranted range anxiety 😬
Haha I noticed that. Good idea so I'm not hyperventilating while watching it instead of the road. Thanks!

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Looks fun and beautiful. I am not adventurous enough (or skilled) to drive off-road (other than a first road).

Did you worry about bashing up the Rivian?. I know some people are like "Its meant to go offroad and if you aren't then why have it?". To that I say "I have over 100,000 reasons......namely $100,000".....LOLOL

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

I hear you @defcon888! I must confess, the Rivian does send a ripple of nerves down my spine. I’d like to maintain its pristine appearance. The looming prospect of potential body damage concerns me both in cost and time. I feel the Rivian shares more traits with my trusty laptop than with the rugged 4Runner it replaced.

Venturing into the wild, I can't help but ponder my ability to troubleshoot any untoward mishaps. A glitch encountered during my Mojave escapade raised the alarm: when I summoned the all-terrain mode, the car refused to budge from its standard stance, casting doubt on the integrity of other concealed adjustments. However, like a savvy tech-savant, a simple reboot - pressing the far-left button on the steering wheel alongside the hazard lights - miraculously restored harmony. It's moments like these that reaffirm the Rivian's affinity with my laptop, blurring the lines between traditional automotive prowess and digital wizardry.

Yet, despite the occasional electronic conundrum, my heart yearns for the great outdoors. The Rivian, with its dual persona as both daily driver and adventure chariot, grants me the freedom to roam untamed landscapes while embracing the modernity of electric propulsion. It's a harmonious fusion of convenience and wanderlust, a tale of man and machine exploring the uncharted realms of nature.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I hear you @defcon888! I must confess, the Rivian does send a ripple of nerves down my spine. I’d like to maintain its pristine appearance. The looming prospect of potential body damage concerns me both in cost and time. I feel the Rivian shares more traits with my trusty laptop than with the rugged 4Runner it replaced.

Venturing into the wild, I can't help but ponder my ability to troubleshoot any untoward mishaps. A glitch encountered during my Mojave escapade raised the alarm: when I summoned the all-terrain mode, the car refused to budge from its standard stance, casting doubt on the integrity of other concealed adjustments. However, like a savvy tech-savant, a simple reboot - pressing the far-left button on the steering wheel alongside the hazard lights - miraculously restored harmony. It's moments like these that reaffirm the Rivian's affinity with my laptop, blurring the lines between traditional automotive prowess and digital wizardry.

Yet, despite the occasional electronic conundrum, my heart yearns for the great outdoors. The Rivian, with its dual persona as both daily driver and adventure chariot, grants me the freedom to roam untamed landscapes while embracing the modernity of electric propulsion. It's a harmonious fusion of convenience and wanderlust, a tale of man and machine exploring the uncharted realms of nature.
My in-laws have a cabin they live in 6 months of the year. It is off a bumpy fire road.....have yet to take it to their cabin, we use our RAV4 Prime and it makes it perfectly fine......so I know the R1T would be just fine, but there are narrow areas with tree branches sticking out and rocks tumbling down a hill.

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

Funny you say that. I never worried about desert pinstripes with the 4Runner. But with the Rivian I carry a pair of pruning shears for those branches that impede my passage

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
@Nuclianba

Ah, behold the epic tale of my return from the wild expanse of the Mojave Road! Embarking from the dusty town of Needles, our caravan traversed a daunting 115 miles of unforgiving terrain, braving the elements and the unknown. With the rugged Kelbaker Road beckoning us towards civilization in Baker, our journey was fraught with peril and adventure.

Throughout our odyssey, spanning three days and two exhilarating nights, we ventured down countless offshoots, each promising its own unique trials and treasures. Yet, fate had a tempestuous twist in store for us. The heavens themselves seemed to conspire against our passage, unleashing torrents of wind, rain, hail, and even snow upon our intrepid band of adventurers.

But amidst the chaos of nature's fury, there was a beauty unmatched, a raw and untamed drama that unfolded across the desert landscape. The skies danced with thunderous crescendos, painting the horizon with flashes of lightning, while the rolling storms lent an air of majesty to the vast expanse before us.

@nu Yes, the Mojave Desert revealed its true essence to us, a realm where every gust of wind and drop of rain whispered tales of resilience and wonder. And though our bodies may have wearied, our spirits soared with the knowledge that we had braved the elements and emerged victorious, forever bound by the indomitable spirit of adventure.

I commenced my journey from Needles with a full 100% charge and a range of 315 miles. Upon reaching the charging station in Baker three days later, my charge had depleted to 35% with 113 miles of remaining range. Throughout the expedition, I implemented Camp Courtesy and Stay Off modes each night at camp, experiencing only a marginal 1% loss in charge per night.

The vehicle's performance on the trails surpassed expectations, demonstrating superior capability compared to typical standards. Accompanied by a Montero and a 4Runner, none of us encountered any significant challenges during the journey. However, my vehicle exhibited smoother and more assured handling.

Despite encountering rutted terrain in certain sections, attributed to recent rainfall, and navigating a steep and rocky climb out of the southern part of the Piute Range, the journey presented few instances of three-wheel scenarios, none of which posed safety concerns.

tempImageWd7uR6.png
Love the stealie on the bumper!

Great write up - I have been hoping to get out there for a run. I did it years ago in my 4runner. Don't remember anything too difficult for my stock 4runner to handle. the only upgrade I had was AT tires, but wonder how it is after all the severe weather the last few years.

Not sure I'll get out there this year before it gets too hot for me, so love seeing all the pics.

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

The weather has left its mark for sure. But there was a lot of evidence of recent work on the trails. Since it’s part of a preserve and it gets a lot of use , my guess is it’s cared for it regular.

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

@Ramble On Rivian amazing. Looks like a fantastic trip! Sounds like I'll have no issues. What excursions did you add to the adventure? Was looking at a night at camp phallus and definitely hitting the lava tubes. Did you run the drop into Watson Wash or take the bypass?
We went around Watson Wash, I wouldn't recommend attempting it.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I've also only done it in Toyota's. From my limited offroading with the Rivian I'd say count on half your normal efficiency. Don't forget about Eddie's World in Yermo/Calico for charging. That's the closest to the exit of the Mojave Road if you need it.

Stop at Spooky Canyon.
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? 153-5336_IMG.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? 153-5342_IMG.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Range in Mojave preserve? IMG_0006.JPG

OP
OP
Nuclianba

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Don't forget about Eddie's World in Yermo/Calico for charging.
yeah have had bad luck with chargepoint so didn't want to count on them being functional :). There is a supercharger there but not sure I'll get an adapter in time! Also only 60kW...but guess I can get enough to get to the RAN if I'm really on edge!
Sponsored