Range Variation between Studio and Configurator

AlphaTango

First Name
Tobias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was just granted access to the Configurator and noticed that the estimated range is quite different on the R1T. The Vehicle Studio shows range of 274mi while the Configurator shows 324mi. Both builds are the exact same (all-terrain upgrade, 20" wheels). Why is there difference and, more importantly, which is more accurate?

Rivian R1T R1S Range Variation between Studio and Configurator range
Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Well, left is more accurate. I would mention it to your guide that's definitely a bug. 274 miles with all terrains/large pack is the expected range.

OP
OP
AlphaTango

AlphaTango

First Name
Tobias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That’s unfortunate and annoyingly misleading. Thanks for the rec to reach out to the guide about it though. Curious if a tonneau would help improve range.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We found pretty similar range with the tonneau on and off. We can get above 274 with conserve mode and reasonable driving, but definitely not 324. Probably close to 300 though. That's the price of the all terrain option.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

This gets even a little more confusing because the official EPA range for a 2023 R1T with 20's is listed as 289 miles.

Rivian R1T R1S Range Variation between Studio and Configurator Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 12.01.52 AM

I haven't seen an explanation as to why the configurator is now listing a range of 274 miles. However, I am wondering if it's because testing is now with the "off-road package" rather than just the 20's alone - i.e., there is now a little extra weight from the Reinforced Underbody Shield and Spare Tire. But if that's the case, I'm surprised the latter results in a 15-mile decrease in range.

Whatever the case, I would like an explanation.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I don't get where the 274 is coming from. The truck tells me 285 in all purpose and a bit above 300 in conserve.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Yeah, I don't get where the 274 is coming from. The truck tells me 285 in all purpose and a bit above 300 in conserve.
Our window sticker shows 274:
Rivian R1T R1S Range Variation between Studio and Configurator image

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
image.jpg
.... interesting. I wonder what pushes it down lower than the values Rivian presents in the vehicle.

How are you liking your R1S?!

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

image.jpg
Thanks for posting that. This is different than what’s on the Fueleconomy.gov website:

Rivian R1T R1S Range Variation between Studio and Configurator IMG_2247

As I mentioned above, my best guess is prior testing was with 20” tires only and updated testing includes the reinforced underbody shield and spare. Again, that’s just a guess.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Dual vs Quad motor?
.... interesting. I wonder what pushes it down lower than the values Rivian presents in the vehicle.
Rivian uses your driving history rather than EPA rating for the range estimate on the battery gauge. If your battery gauge is showing better range than the EPA rating, that just means that you tend to drive more efficiently than the EPA did. You might be using less heat/ac, or have more favorable weather, or have a different highway/city mix, or are more gentle on the throttle, etc.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

How are you liking your R1S?!
Given that ours has the All Terrain package (wheels + underbody shield + compact spare) I think @shrink may be right and that package reduces the range as far as the EPA is concerned.

We’ve only had it for 23-1/2 hours, but loving it so far! :involve: Driving it brings on some cognitive dissonance or something because I know it is physically larger than our LR3 and a LOT heavier, yet it feels light & nimble along with amazing acceleration.

The wait was long, and much longer for others on the forum, but to me totally worth it. We’re going on a little shakedown cruise to Palm Springs tomorrow over Sunday and I’m hoping to go off pavement in the high desert within a few weeks.

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
We found pretty similar range with the tonneau on and off. We can get above 274 with conserve mode and reasonable driving, but definitely not 324. Probably close to 300 though. That's the price of the all terrain option.
With how good the ATs look and ride, it's a price well worth paying.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The website isn't always updated with the most current data.

EPA range has risen significantly from last year due to OTA updates. Originally, it was 314 miles, but that was for a very specific configuration, then they ran the tests with the different wheels and published EPA ratings for the different configurations. Then they made updates to the usable battery power and drive modes and published new EPA ratings.

Me personally I get >300 miles on my R1T with 20" AT and underbody shield. My R1T shows 295 miles range at 100% charge in all-purpose mode, and 320 miles range at 100% charge in conserve mode.
After 12k miles of driving, I have found these numbers to be accurate - perhaps even pessimistic for highway driving because I always seem to arrive with a greater charge remaining than predicted.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian uses your driving history rather than EPA rating for the range estimate on the battery gauge. If your battery gauge is showing better range than the EPA rating, that just means that you tend to drive more efficiently than the EPA did. You might be using less heat/ac, or have more favorable weather, or have a different highway/city mix, or are more gentle on the throttle, etc.
They don't, this has been a point of confusion for months. We can all compare, and we'll all have the same "100% charge range" assuming we have similarly degraded batteries. I haven't seen anyone with a meaningfully different value at a full charge.

Given that ours has the All Terrain package (wheels + underbody shield + compact spare) I think @shrink may be right and that package reduces the range as far as the EPA is concerned.

We’ve only had it for 23-1/2 hours, but loving it so far! :involve: Driving it brings on some cognitive dissonance or something because I know it is physically larger than our LR3 and a LOT heavier, yet it feels light & nimble along with amazing acceleration.

The wait was long, and much longer for others on the forum, but to me totally worth it. We’re going on a little shakedown cruise to Palm Springs tomorrow over Sunday and I’m hoping to go off pavement in the high desert within a few weeks.
It does reduce it per the EPA, but our modes should bracket the EPA rating since the EPA rating is a mix of modes. As @VSG mentioned, I wonder if they're just using the old EPA rating on the window sticker and website.

Congrats! Hopefully you love it. We're going to pickup my spouse's R1S tomorrow morning!
Sponsored