ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

I was in the carpool lane and traffic came to a stop. A second or two later, the bus behind me rear ended me pretty good. Protein shake went flying everywhere. I was pretty shaken up.

Once we got to the side of the road and I saw the damage of my car vs the bus, I was very impressed with the Rivian. The bus had to be towed away and my car does have a good bit of damage but is drive able.

From what I can see, left quarter panel, bumper and tailgate are damaged. Whatā€™re the guesses on repair cost? Will it get totaled?

Bummed my first brand new car ever was damaged but Iā€™m glad Iā€™m okay. Iā€™m sold on the Rivian safety.

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4875.jpeg
looks like an easy PDR jobā€¦
Jk, glad you are ok.
Based on your description Iā€™m guessing there is a lot of ā€˜unseen damageā€™ internally. Also, if an Easter egg size dent is $40k, then looks you have $160k of damageā€¦hopefully gets totaled out and you can grab a new one from the shopā€¦
Sponsored

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

So glad youā€™re safe. One more story that makes me feel safe driving my Rivian. It will suck to repair or replace, but a good chance Iā€™m going to be kept safe and less harmed than others.

Thank you for sharing what gained and there process youā€™ll go through. Keep us updated.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Last night, I didn't have much warning of a deer in the middle of the road. I don't think the deer had much warning either -- they may depend on their hearing as much as on their eyesight, and the Rivian may be much quieter than the vehicles the deer are used to.

As I braked to a stop on a wet road at 40 degrees F, I had these thoughts about the Rivian:
(1) Wow, this is stopping really quickly, without any skidding or obvious ABS "chatter"!
(2) I'm worried about a collision that might damage the Rivian and hurt the deer.
(3) I'm NOT worried about a collision that might injure my passengers and me.

I like that set of worries a lot better than the worries I might have had with another vehicle!

And because the R1S stopped so well, the deer and the car and the passengers were all completely unharmed. This incident may have affected the longevity of the winter tires, but we can live with that. Glad for our Rivian!