Sponsored

Regen severely limted for less than 1 mile.

g-unit

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
On start of driving (SoC 70%) after just charging up on 40 amp level 2 charger (charge had been complete for 30+min.)

Regen was limited, like really really limited. So much the truck would not stop without mechanical brakes at the end of a 15mph road. After 1 mile or less the regen limit just disappeared and everything worked as normal. Soc normal 70, Temps 55f, no thermal loads from driving recently...

Any ideas
Sponsored

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

This happens to me time to time with not just the Rivian, but also my wife’s MYP. It seems to usually be either if the battery is too full (not this case) or too cold, which also seems unlikely here. But I have experienced it before in your circumstance. It’s rare and I just adjust as needed as it resolves itself soon enough. If you experience it with some regularity you may want to call up Service

Bearmountain

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 cts, 2000 dakota r/t
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical, General Contractor
On start of driving (SoC 70%) after just charging up on 40 amp level 2 charger (charge had been complete for 30+min.)

Regen was limited, like really really limited. So much the truck would not stop without mechanical brakes at the end of a 15mph road. After 1 mile or less the regen limit just disappeared and everything worked as normal. Soc normal 70, Temps 55f, no thermal loads from driving recently...

Any ideas
It also happens to me at times but not always and I can't make it happen just random I've reported it to them.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Regen will limit substantially regardless of SOC at lower tems. 55 might actually be a threshold. If it was sitting at a colder temp, the battery pack would have cold-soaked.

And regen will also limit substantially at higher SOC regardless of temp.

Your case sounds like it’s an outlier - probably worth submitting a ticket to see what they say. In my experience, they’re super responsive. I’ve submitted tickets before that magically fixed themselves after what I presume was an over-the-air patch.

Beachbum

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I get the same after every L2 charge, but not after DCFC. Goes away after a few minutes.

Sponsored

Billybobgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've had that more when charging closer to 85% limit but also at 70. The Regen limit appears on dash but went away relatively quickly. Plus I didn't really feel any difference in amount of Regen because my first few minutes of driving is usually relatively slow. Based in NW Florida so temperature wasn't really a factor.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I’ve had the same thing happen a few times since the latest update too. And I’m only charging to 70%. I don’t think it’s really thermals. I think it’s a random bug.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've had that more when charging closer to 85% limit but also at 70. The Regen limit appears on dash but went away relatively quickly. Plus I didn't really feel any difference in amount of Regen because my first few minutes of driving is usually relatively slow. Based in NW Florida so temperature wasn't really a factor.
It’s not that the strength of the regen decreases it just the length of time you can regen for that decreases. You can be at 100% towing a trailer down hill at below freezing temperatures (done it a lot) and still have strong regen it is just a very short period of time.
Sponsored