Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I spent some time at Overland Expo PNW and I surveyed the landscape of Rivian camper options.

The only folks with a camper on a Rivian at the show was Go Fast which it looked great, small foot print. Good build quality. Still claiming to see no issues with D+ so maybe the smaller foot print isn't having the same impact I am seeing, time will tell. I think this is a great option for folks that mostly camp in the summer, weekends things like that. It offers a place to sleep and more secure storage in probably the lightest most compact form factor. I think starting around $10k

The folks at Oru were also there, they continue to get better. Loving the optional Arctic Turn windows. They also have a new XL version that is wider, similar to Tune Outdoors offerings. Sorry didn't take any Oru photos but check out my build thread in the signature for some of mine. I think this is a great option for folks like me that spend weeks at a time in their camper, use it often in winter time and want a good balance between price, quality, interior space and year long capability.
Tenfold (canvas wedge) starting at $6k
Bruin starting at $8.5k
Bruin XL starting at $10.5k

I also looked at what was going on with Hardsider. They have some Rivian's in the queue but none built yet so who knows how their implementation will look. These didn't look as good in person as they do in renders and in photos. The 'hard' sides felt more like canvas that had some hard sections in it. I'd be curious what the experience of it would be like in the wind. The base camper material felt really thin, likely wouldn't hold heat in well for winter trips. I'm not sure who this is for, it's a cool idea. I'd let this one bake a generation or so and see where it goes. $18k starting price though they were offering a show special, think they said $15k.

I talked with the folks at Tune Outdoor. It didn't sound like he was super happy with his existing Rivian implementation, I think wanting a better solution for the gear tunnel buttons etc. I like their build quality and this one probably offers the most interior space (maybe similar to what the Oru Bruin XL will offer). I didn't ask the price but I think it's a bit higher.

Super Pacific confirmed they are moving ahead with a Rivian option. Don't recall the price but I believe it has been advertised. I like their quality here too, this one feels similar to the Go Fast for me for the use case. I like their door open/locking mechanisms the best in theory, no personal experience though.

Lone Peak - Confirmed no current plans. Busy filling existing orders for now.
Hiatus Campers - None built on a Rivian yet, didn't say no. This offers probably the most camper like experience (vs tent) but cost and weight are the penalty.
I feel like 50 other camper companies I didn't even talk to.

I should have taken more photos but as is I got too much sun..

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5828

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5829

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5831

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5830

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5837

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5834

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5835

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5833

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5832

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5838

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camper Shell Roundup at Overland Expo PNW IMG_5839
Sponsored

jctownsley

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE Quad, Large Forest Green
Thanks for the write up and pics! I wish I could have made it down this weekend but I’m out at the coast for a wedding. Would love to check out your rig in person sometime!
I think the GFC is still the right option for me and my sporadic use (August build date), but your setup looks sweet too!

sizotty

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
R1T, MYP
Occupation
@theoverlandstory
That’s for the write up, just the info I was looking for from someone with boots on the ground.

thoughts on spare tire access with the GFC? No concerns?

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That’s for the write up, just the info I was looking for from someone with boots on the ground.

I wouldn't think so, not sure how it would but didn't specifically look. From the photos doesn't appear anything would be in the way.

Team_GFC

Site Sponsor
First Name
GoFastCampers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Manufacturer

Ben and I actually plugged one of his tires while he was at HQ. There's absolutely nothing in the way of the lid opening.

Sponsored

mcarver316

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22/R1T/20AT/RUS
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

I also looked at what was going on with Hardsider. They have some Rivian's in the queue but none built yet so who knows how their implementation will look. These didn't look as good in person as they do in renders and in photos. The 'hard' sides felt more like canvas that had some hard sections in it. I'd be curious what the experience of it would be like in the wind. The base camper material felt really thin, likely wouldn't hold heat in well for winter trips. I'm not sure who this is for, it's a cool idea. I'd let this one bake a generation or so and see where it goes. $18k starting price though they were offering a show special, think they said $15k.

I should have taken more photos but as is I got too much sun..
Thanks for posting. That is disappointing to hear about Hardsider. We will be the first gen guinea pigs.

We picked Hardsider because we live in the NorthEast/MidAtlantic and they are the closest to us (about 500 miles away from MD). We did not want to have to travel cross country each time to either San Marcos CA (Oru Bruin) or Bellingham WA (Hiatus) in case we have something that needs servicing with the truck topper. Hiatus said their camper is not yet designed to accommodate access to the R1T's truck bed buttons (gear tunnel, tailgate/ptc). Bruin is also strong contender as it seems to be the lightest of the three (just under 400 lbs for the base config I think).

Anyway, I will post our experience once the HardCamp topper is installed.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for posting. That is disappointing to hear about Hardsider. We will be the first gen guinea pigs.

We picked Hardsider because we live in the NorthEast/MidAtlantic and they are the closest to us (about 500 miles away from MD). We did not want to have to travel cross country each time to either San Marcos CA (Oru Bruin) or Bellingham WA (Hiatus) in case we have something that needs servicing with the truck topper. Hiatus said their camper is not yet designed to accommodate access to the R1T's truck bed buttons (gear tunnel, tailgate/ptc). Bruin is also strong contender as it seems to be the lightest of the three (just under 400 lbs for the base config I think).

Yeah I was also disappointed by it but maybe it was an early build or something. Hope it works out well for you. I was also surprised based on the material the weight of it.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

What’s the second one? (The one on the black Toyota)

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Team_GFC

Site Sponsor
First Name
GoFastCampers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Manufacturer

We have an install/service facility in Raleigh, NC: https://gofastcampers.com/pages/locations

Final weight will depend on exact height over cab (something we're working with Ben Moon to refine), but should be within 5 pounds of 275 pounds. Should be the lightest possible camper ever made for the R1T. (We have proprietary automation tools of our own design that make delivering that weight and quality possible at the lowest price point while paying the highest starting wages of any manufacturing company in the northern Rockies.)
Sponsored

Last edited: