Sponsored

Rivian employee comments suggest morale issues

yarmatey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 long range dual motor
After two years of crunch, I was laid off when my wife got pregnant. No rsu, no negotiation on severance, thanks for the fish. It is not the same there as it is everywhere else, the crunch hurt the most. Also their claimed culture is dramatically different than reality.

They are practically rolling out the red carpet for the union to come in at this rate. Leadership won't see it coming but everyone else will.
Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I find it interesting how it's 'mostly' (sure, not all) the younger (Gen Z, Millennial - whatever they're called) generation who are quick to jump on social media to complain about work stress/mental health etc etc. just because things in life get a little tough and they're asked to do a bit of graft.

Jeez, talk about a generation of snowflakes who have been brought up in an easy world of quick likes', everything on demand and thinking that they can make easy money like all faddish folks they follow on social media.

Mental health/stress ... are you kidding me??? Just look at what our grandparents and parents did/built? I recall twenty-something's putting pieces of their buddies in bags after a roadside bomb blew up their patrol (again) and still they put their hand to serve. After leaving the Army I remember working 100hr+ weeks as a young analyst at an investment bank (along with loads of other young kids) because we believed in hard work and effort = reward.

Where is the resilience in today's younger generation? And many companies (esp. after Covid) are quick to pander to this because they are afraid of the social media/PR blow back.

Kids, its not hard - working down a coal mine is hard. This is life, sometimes it's just difficult.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Since when has a factory/production job been fun?

Didn't we all get admonished by our parents "you better start taking school seriously or you'll end up working in some factory"?

Last edited:

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

Here is a sample of comments on the Facebook post:

20C65AC7-6212-479D-92F9-927EC4B3D11C.png
Jeesh... Brandy sure seems like a wonderful employee. Punctuation, Ms Thang... ever heard of it?

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

I find it interesting how it's 'mostly' (sure, not all) the younger (Gen Z, Millennial - whatever they're called) generation who are quick to jump on social media to complain about work stress/mental health etc etc. just because things in life get a little tough and they're asked to do a bit of graft.

Jeez, talk about a generation of snowflakes who have been brought up in an easy world of quick likes', everything on demand and thinking that they can make easy money like all faddish folks they follow on social media.

Mental health/stress ... are you kidding me??? Just look at what our grandparents and parents did/built? I recall twenty-something's putting pieces of their buddies in bags after a roadside bomb blew up their patrol (again) and still they put their hand to serve. After leaving the Army I remember working 100hr+ weeks as a young analyst at an investment bank (along with loads of other young kids) because we believed in hard work and effort = reward.

Where is the resilience in today's younger generation? And many companies (esp. after Covid) are quick to pander to this because they are afraid of the social media/PR blow back.

Kids, its not hard - working down a coal mine is hard. This is life, sometimes it's just difficult.
OK Boomer, yeah I had to walk to school, uphill both ways in three feet of snow every day. Dang young people don't even know how to change the oil in their car, fancy new cars don't even have oil! Where is an out of touch Boomer when I need one?

If the original message was satire and I missed it, apologies, if not...

Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
OK Boomer, yeah I had to walk to school, uphill both ways in three feet of snow every day. Dang young people don't even know how to change the oil in their car, fancy new cars don't even have oil! Where is an out of touch Boomer when I need one?

That fact is, I'm not a Boomer. Son of one, yes.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I'm solidly in the "millennial" generation and @SDH is exactly right. I see it from my peers all the time. It doesn't mean that every single millennial/gen z is a lazy entitled brat, but the types of comments I see on that post are emblematic of the larger generational issues.

There are millions of people under the age of 40 who think that "experiencing" things on YouTube/TikTok/Instagram for others to watch is a career. It's absolutely bonkers.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm solidly in the "millennial" generation and @SDH is exactly right. I see it from my peers all the time. It doesn't mean that every single millennial/gen z is a lazy entitled brat, but the types of comments I see on that post are emblematic of the larger generational issues.

There are millions of people under the age of 40 who think that "experiencing" things on YouTube/TikTok/Instagram for others to watch is a career. It's absolutely bonkers.
I think it is probably just best not to typecast people based on when they were born. I mean someone raised these kids, where is the blame on them.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It’s true that some young people are terrible. It’s also true that some older people are terrible. I’m 48 and although I don’t have kids, it’s my generation that are parents to many of these young people.

Ask a high school teacher sometime about the interactions with the parents of their students. It explains a lot. We’ve had parents of 20-25 year old employees call and try to talk to us about their unreliable child’s complaints about us. We aren’t perfect but we try our best to be one of the good employers out there. I’ll be damned if I’m going to deal with the parent of an adult though. Your kid works for us. I have nothing to discuss with you, parent from my generation;)

Bottom line, the sense of entitlement among people of all ages is destructive.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We’ve had parents of 20-25 year old employees call and try to talk to us about their unreliable child’s complaints about us. We aren’t perfect but we try our best to be one of the good employers out there. I’ll be damned if I’m going to deal with the parent of an adult though. Your kid works for us. I have nothing to discuss with you, parent from my generation;)
Sometimes I need to slow down when I read things. I processed this as "We've had 20-25 year old parents of employees call and try to talk to us about their unreliable child’s complaints about us."

Those poor child laborers :(

Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
People are quick to feel unappreciated right now with the wage stagnation and inflation issues we've had the last two years. I don't think this is a systemic issue specific to Rivian.
This.

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

That fact is, I'm not a Boomer. Son of one, yes.
Yeah sorry I got a bit crazy with the response, I am closer to boomer age than Millenial so funny we took different sides. I just get a bit up in arms shall we say, about generic labeling. My personal experiences is that the percentage of hard working to lazy is fairly consistent across all generations. You can obviously lend as much weight as you want to my internet opinion :)

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Come work in medicine if you want to feel overworked, stressed and underpaid.

No seriously, we need people.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Yeah sorry I got a bit crazy with the response, I am closer to boomer age than Millenial so funny we took different sides. I just get a bit up in arms shall we say, about generic labeling. My personal experiences is that the percentage of hard working to lazy is fairly consistent across all generations. You can obviously lend as much weight as you want to my internet opinion :)
No harm, no foul.

I get a little fired up (perhaps wrongly) when I see or hear stuff like this, based on my limited life experiences. Of course no generation is perfect.

On a side note, I read recently that the RAF Battle of Britain Spitfire pilots got just 18hrs of training before heading off to face the Luftwaffe and that life expectancy was only 4 weeks. RAF recruiters still had to turn people away. Kinda' makes you think ...
Sponsored