Not open for further replies.

garrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S, 86' LandCruiser, '23 Bronco
Occupation
Builder
Round headlights like the van would be a nice nod to the offroad capability, since so many iconic boxy 4x4 vehicles had/have that design language (Land Cruiser, Bronco, Jeep, Land Rover, etc). The current design has grown on me though and I’ve heard a lot of people say they love it.

Flyin7

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Pilot
The headlight look has grown on me in the las 2 years of ownership. Several important points are : 1. I can instantly recognize a fellow Rivian owner traveling in the opposite direction no matter if it is 2 lane or 10 lane road. 2 the bright flood of light to guide my way in the darkest night is far better than any stock headlights on any vehicle I have ever owned, including my Tesla!

OP
OP

Yungster1972

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone else fantasize about Rivian surprising everyone with a sport wagon with the R2 platform?

Just me? 🤪
I would love a semi lifted wagon. Similar to a Audi all road.

Sponsored

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
"everyone I talk to". Really? I have talked to dozens of folks about the R1T, since there aren't many where I live, and I have not heard that once. If you are going to let the design of the head lights (not how well they work) keep you from buying the Rivian, then you are better off without it.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
.... Everyone I talk to love the truck except for the headlights. I feel the same. Rivian please change them. If you do I will sell my Tesla and buy a Rivian. Its unique and functional, in a way that gets noticed, but not too loudly or going overboard.
I support the front end design, and believe the design is a plus rather than a negative to a majority of shoppers.

I get that the design is certainly not for everyone.

I love walking up to my truck at night, seeing the headlights come on and scroll of color across the light bar.

Jim Cramer asked R J Scaringe about the headlight design just a few days ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-with-jim-cramer/vi-BB1hkoXH?ocid=socialshare

" ....We didn't have a heritage from an aethetic point of view or design point of view. So it afforded us an amazing opportunity to sort What does a Rivian look like?

And so we had hundreds of different front ends and designs we went through. We eventually landed on something that was very clean. We wanted it to feel strong, but importantly I wanted ti to have a sense of invitation and friendliness to it. An so, the, you know, stadium shaped headlight with this crossbar was probably interation 160 or something...."

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Front Headlights Design 1706465879932

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Round headlights like the van would be a nice nod to the offroad capability, since so many iconic boxy 4x4 vehicles had/have that design language (Land Cruiser, Bronco, Jeep, Land Rover, etc). The current design has grown on me though and I’ve heard a lot of people say they love it.
I'd love to see what this would look like if someone who is good at the photo shoppy thing could draw up the R2 body with EDV headlights and R1 lightbar.

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
I’ve always felt the Rivian is an evolution to the Jeep headlights. They just made it oval instead of round. But the horizontal strip of light on both sides of the headlight reminds me of the Jeep Wrangler.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Front Headlights Design IMG_9274

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Front Headlights Design IMG_9275

Sponsored

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
You know the headlight design is universally unattractive when people defend Rivians by noting how there are even uglier vehicles out there. To me this is a sad justification for a much needed design tweak. It's also obvious when all the renderings of R2s try so hard to subdue the appearance of the vertical lights. The one posted on this thread actually looks good because the impact/contrasting element of the oval lights is minimal. They don't even have a complete oval around the headlight.

As an introvert, I don't agree with the opinion that Rivian needs uniquely designed headlights to "stand out" from the crowd and make itself be a beacon for people to notice from a mile away. Many people that buy vehicles don't want to wave at everyone with the same vehicle or join clubs with people with the same vehicle or be stared at, gawked at or asked 20 questions every time they go to the mall. Many people, in fact a very significant percentage of the population, just wants a well-designed, well-engineered vehicle that is easy on the eyes. And quite frankly, Rivian doesn't need these odd tall vertical headlights to make it different. There are many design elements that make it very unique from other trucks and SUVs. The weird headlights really just put it over the top. And in my opinion enough so to deter sales.

I would guess it's probably almost certain that if Rivian had a better looking headlight design, they would sell more vehicles. Maybe not many more. But more. To even the diehards posting on this forum, this should be a good thing. I have very honest friends... the types that would point out I'm an idiot, fat, a failure in many aspects of my life. They all comment on how they love the Rivian except for the headlights. Literally out of 15+ friends 100% said it's beautiful... BUT those headlights. No offense to anyone here but many people will not be honest with these things... particularly to auto enthusiasts. Nobody wants to hurt each other's feelings and it's evident on this forum saying the headlights are hideous ruffles feathers.

It's disappointing because the rest of the vehicle IMO is just beautiful. Side profile, rear profile. It's a handsome piece. In ways it's similar to the Model 3 and Y which to me has a very ugly face. And I agree with everyone here about all the other more hideous vehicles. Many of which don't even have a side or rear profile to redeem themselves (e.g. cybertruck).

So to the OP, you get my vote that I too hope Rivian changes its front end design language. Sure I'll have an ugly front end for a while but I'd be looking forward to upgrading to the new Rivian with the new headlight design. I think of it as the day I remove my braces. And sorry, your photoshopped version is even uglier than what exists. There are other photoshops on the internet with much better redesigns. But keep fighting the good fight.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You know the headlight design is universally unattractive when people defend Rivians by noting how there are even uglier vehicles out there. To me this is a sad justification for a much needed design tweak. It's also obvious when all the renderings of R2s try so hard to subdue the appearance of the vertical lights. The one posted on this thread actually looks good because the impact/contrasting element of the oval lights is minimal. They don't even have a complete oval around the headlight.

As an introvert, I don't agree with the opinion that Rivian needs uniquely designed headlights to "stand out" from the crowd and make itself be a beacon for people to notice from a mile away. Many people that buy vehicles don't want to wave at everyone with the same vehicle or join clubs with people with the same vehicle or be stared at, gawked at or asked 20 questions every time they go to the mall. Many people, in fact a very significant percentage of the population, just wants a well-designed, well-engineered vehicle that is easy on the eyes. And quite frankly, Rivian doesn't need these odd tall vertical headlights to make it different. There are many design elements that make it very unique from other trucks and SUVs. The weird headlights really just put it over the top. And in my opinion enough so to deter sales.

I would guess it's probably almost certain that if Rivian had a better looking headlight design, they would sell more vehicles. Maybe not many more. But more. To even the diehards posting on this forum, this should be a good thing. I have very honest friends... the types that would point out I'm an idiot, fat, a failure in many aspects of my life. They all comment on how they love the Rivian except for the headlights. Literally out of 15+ friends 100% said it's beautiful... BUT those headlights. No offense to anyone here but many people will not be honest with these things... particularly to auto enthusiasts. Nobody wants to hurt each other's feelings and it's evident on this forum saying the headlights are hideous ruffles feathers.

It's disappointing because the rest of the vehicle IMO is just beautiful. Side profile, rear profile. It's a handsome piece. In ways it's similar to the Model 3 and Y which to me has a very ugly face. And I agree with everyone here about all the other more hideous vehicles. Many of which don't even have a side or rear profile to redeem themselves (e.g. cybertruck).

So to the OP, you get my vote that I too hope Rivian changes its front end design language. Sure I'll have an ugly front end for a while but I'd be looking forward to upgrading to the new Rivian with the new headlight design. I think of it as the day I remove my braces. And sorry, your photoshopped version is even uglier than what exists. There are other photoshops on the internet with much better redesigns. But keep fighting the good fight.
I guess you'll just ignore all the people who commented and said they genuinely like the headlights in your rant huh? Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug. Reread this thread until you figure it out.

Bruins06

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper
I'll admit it, I was not a fan of the headlights either. They've grown on me a bit, and look really cool when they turn on when you approach the car in a dark parking lot.

amos0077

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
system architect
Clubs

OP
OP

Yungster1972

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
I kept reading "a lot of people...a lot of people", who are these lot of people? Judging by their presence here in Austin TX, sure they are selling a lot of them. I guess "a lot of people" like them too :)
Everyone I have talked to about getting a Rivian always mention the their dislike of the headlights. I have yet to talk to someone other than those on this forum tell me they like them. There very well be more people that like them than dislike them. I am just saying what I have heard.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.