Sponsored

Rivian Off-Road Recovery Kit worth $600?

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Off-road newbie here but excited to start getting more into it once I receive my R1S. Wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on whether the off-road recovery kit Rivian is offering is worth the $600. Did a quick search and seems like one could compile a similar kit for less than $200. Thoughts?
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I received this kit free as a gift due to some issues from Rivian. I would say you could definitely build your own kit much cheaper but the items are high quality from what I can tell.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
We looked into it in the beginning, right after the price was announced. To build a kit with the same components, you'll spend the same if not more. You could absolutely build a similar kit for a little cheaper or an inferior kit for much cheaper, but you would have a hard time building the same kit for cheaper.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Off-road newbie here but excited to start getting more into it once I receive my R1S. Wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on whether the off-road recovery kit Rivian is offering is worth the $600. Did a quick search and seems like one could compile a similar kit for less than $200. Thoughts?
You cannot assemble a kit of the same exact items for any less than Rivian is selling it for. It’s all factor 55/warn stuff. High end.

wertuio

First Name
Puck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Pathfinder
Occupation
Movie scout
Clubs

Having towed lots of vehicles out of heavy sand, mud, riverbed, and other dubious situations, I'm not sure any off-the-counter tow straps are strong enough for the 7000 lb Rivian, either towing or being towed.
So I am getting their recovery kit.

However, my offroading is for work and so the expectations are higher. If you're just playing on the weekends and can afford to wait hours by a stuck truck for better equipment to be driven to you, maybe cheaper equipment is fine.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Having towed lots of vehicles out of heavy sand, mud, riverbed, and other dubious situations, I'm not sure any off-the-counter tow straps are strong enough for the 7000 lb Rivian, either towing or being towed.
So I am getting their recovery kit.

However, my offroading is for work and so the expectations are higher. If you're just playing on the weekends and can afford to wait hours by a stuck truck for better equipment to be driven to you, maybe cheaper equipment is fine.
Pretty much everything, except the Warn gloves are from Factor 55. They make very high quality recovery gear.

The Hitchlink is rated at 18000lbs $146
The recovery strap is rated at 31000lbs. I've got the same strap in my Jeep's recovery bag. $90
The soft shackles are rated at 39000lbs. $98
I'm not sure why they include a steel shackle, but I think it's rated at 9500lbs $35
The other strap is a tree saver, I'm not sure if its rating. $69
Beyond that you just need a bag.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty much everything, except the Warn gloves are from Factor 55. They make very high quality recovery gear.

The Hitchlink is rated at 18000lbs $146
The recovery strap is rated at 31000lbs. I've got the same strap in my Jeep's recovery bag. $90
The soft shackles are rated at 39000lbs. $98
I'm not sure why they include a steel shackle, but I think it's rated at 9500lbs $35
The other strap is a tree saver, I'm not sure if its rating. $69
Beyond that you just need a bag.
The steel shackle is for the hitch link. The version they include is not the newer one.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It's high end stuff made in Nampa, ID by factor 55. It's marked up $200, but you get it in the right package with a nice storage case and rated for the truck. Worth it in my book.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I agree. Rivian did all of the homework on assembling a high quality recovery kit that’s ready to go AND I assume under the 5/60 factory warranty.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's high end stuff made in Nampa, ID by factor 55. It's marked up $200, but you get it in the right package with a nice storage case and rated for the truck. Worth it in my book.
Even the bag it all comes in is made in Colorado by a small company(Adventure Tool Company).
as I found out in this other thread

dfacto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Research Scientist
My recovery kit:

$82 (2x) GearAmerica Synthetic Soft Shackles 1/2” Grey – Made in The USA – 45,000 lbs (22.5 US Tons) Strength – for Off-Road Recovery, Towing & More – Stronger Than Steel D Rings – Bag Included https://a.co/d/iN1ke7q

$156 GearAmerica Kinetic Recovery Rope – 7/8” Heavy Duty Snatch Rope – 28,500 lbs MBS – Stretches to Absorb Energy Then Recoils – Recover Vehicle – Proudly Made in The USA – 30 ft, Grey https://a.co/d/5rKNajo

$55 GearAmerica Aluminum 2”x2” Hitch Receiver & Mega Shackle – 32,000 lbs (16T) MBS, 16,000 lbs (8T) WLL – For Heavy Duty Towing and Off-Road Recovery – Includes Shackle, Washers & ⅝” Pin – Black & Orange https://a.co/d/06SUFrK

$24 GearAmerica Tree Saver/Winch Line Extension Strap 3" x 8' – Certified 35,053 lbs (17.5 US Tons) – Off Road Towing and Recovery – Extreme Weather Resistance, Heavy Duty Triple Reinforced Loops https://a.co/d/a0prQSI

$14 https://www.harborfreight.com/25-pocket-mechanics-tool-bag-61468.html

Total cost: $331

Weakest link: 14 ton MBS.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Off-Road Recovery Kit worth $600? PXL_20231230_211709109
Sponsored