Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I am a bit naive about this topic but curious to know what happens to the vinyl wrap once it wears out? Xpel website says it will last 10 years. Does it then go in a landfill or does it break down into microplastics and go into the environment and water supply? I realize that driving on “rubber” tires is not good for the environment already but curious whether this adds a negative impact on top of the usual. That might not be a value add to protect the paint if it does harm. I’m picking up my R1T 4/24 and trying to decide if I should ask for a wrap.
Reach out to XPEL to see if they have a recycle program. It'll probably compress into something the size of a basketball, when peeled off. Recycling these wraps ought to be a no-brainer for a company that is selling thousands, and shops that are doing hundreds. Meanwhile, I would guess that there will be a certain amount of microplastics lost to the environment during the life of the product, although the self-healing properties would indicate that should be minimal - if tears and abrasions can self-heal, very little of the material has been lost.
Sponsored

Glstr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Audi Q7 TDI
No supply of stealth wrapped R1S in the shop for a third day in a row. So much for this promotion.
It may have been stated already, but the guides have said they had a limited number of them and they are gone (for the R1S) with no more expected to be available (unless someone bails on their confirmation). They also said they are looking to add this as an option on custom orders for $5k (when those resume).