Sponsored

Rivian Pausing Georgia Plant

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I might as well throw this here. No R1 refreshes or changes to R1 were mentioned, right?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I might as well throw this here. No R1 refreshes or changes to R1 were mentioned, right?
I wouldn’t expect any R1 announcements until very close to launching, so as to not kill sales presently

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
The Georgia vs Normal comments/news were the biggest of the event, IMO. I’m surprised it’s not being talked about more.

Sponsored

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

He didn't say Georgia was pausing, did he???
Not in the livestream but apparently they released a company statement shortly thereafter regarding Georgia.

Sponsored

rbrak29

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
It's good news, but I need info on the R1, refreshed or not. Not one mention of R1. Once the R2 ships, will Rivian kill the R1T? R1S? I have $1000 down and waiting for more information.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
At least they GET IT now. It's go big or go home time. Maximize your current facilities/operations/supply chain and get R2 out ASAP.
I can’t tell if the R3 news is truly going big, or some combination of distraction and desperation. I think it is wonderful and happy to know about it, but why now when there’s two years between now and even an accelerated R2 launch from Normal?

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It's good news, but I need info on the R1, refreshed or not. Not one mention of R1. Once the R2 ships, will Rivian kill the R1T? R1S? I have $1000 down and waiting for more information.
Why would they kill the R1? They won't mention a refresh until closer to 2026 is my guess.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
They're not killing R1. It's their flagship, they have said that over and over again.

If I remember correctly, when Normal was a Mitsubishi plant, it had a yearly capacity somewhere around 250k. They're currently building 50k, and have expanded parts of the plant.

In recent interviews and earnings calls, they have said that the updates to R1 coming this spring are both manufacturing efficiency and parts-sharing upgrades. My guess is that there will be a lot of hidden components of the R1 and R2 that are shared. We know things like drive units will be shared, and the wiring harnesses are closely related.

In short, the R2 means they can build the R1 more efficiently and get closer to profitability on each one.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I can’t tell if the R3 news is truly going big, or some combination of distraction and desperation. I think it is wonderful and happy to know about it, but why now when there’s two years between now and even an accelerated R2 launch from Normal?
I believe the R3 news is primarily for investors (current and needed in the near future). BMW survived for a very long time with effectively three sedans - the 3 series, 5 series and 7 series. Similar to Mercedes with the E class, S class and eventual C class.

To be seen as/valued as a "real" automaker Rivian needs to access multiple pockets of demand/customer segments in the adventure space. Targeting Subaru buyers with R3, Bronco Sport/Wrangler drivers with R2 and their existing demand with R1 shows that Rivian understands they need to show a path towards becoming an automaker with multiple products/segment. Think about this, depending on the R3 timing in ~ five years Rivian would have gone from zero vehicles to:
- EDV - for short-haul freight
- R1T - consumer/light-duty work pickup
- R1S - midsized SUV
- R2 - compact SUV
- R3 - sub-compact hatchback

R2/3 are the global vehicles (I'd argue mostly R3). But getting play in five demand pools in just five years would be impressive. Still have to get R2/3 from a stage with bright lights into people's driveways - but this is the roadmap they want to pitch to the next set of investors. Look, they need at least $5B in new cash to pull all of this off. Their valuation, before the reveal, was as low as it's ever been. They've put out a path and shined a light on it. If they can keep delivering R1's and ramp EDV's while preparing to build R2 in Normal they've shown they can be responsible stewards of additional capital. Brilliantly played IMHO.
Sponsored