Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

But what I see is that that is not what is happening. For them to be flipping back and forth tells me they are making decisions based on theory rather than building a proof of concept to validate their decisions. How do you go from advertising one thing and to just now finding out that it's not going to work on the manufacturing side? I initially thought they are managing the expectations of the max pack but now it seems like they're trying to save face by only having one specific configuration make it to the 400 mile range mark
This is one of those things that isn't obvious to the outside observer and companies don't like to admit, because it makes them seem like they don't know what they're doing. The reality is: this is par for the course.

I HAVE NO insider information at Rivian. This is solely based on my experience in manufacturing:

It's easy to make something work once. (And that's even a misnomer and there's a lot more involved than this statement can make up for).

But just because you made it work once doesn't give you autonomy to assume it'll work a million times. This is where they're likely running into assumptions and finding ways to engineer their ways out of those assumptions, or validate their assumptions and move on. I'm at the mercy of what marketing wants to tell our clients all the time. And when it's not steeped fully in reality, we go back to the drawing board because now we made a promise and perception is reputation is future profit.

There are also SO MANY TIMES something gets fully figured out and vendors/suppliers are chomping at the bit "yes, we can absolutely do that for you at that price and at that timeline." Then you place the order and none of that was true. SO often. It's no one's fault at Rivian, but they can't renege, and said vendor is thinking "they don't have time to find and qualify a new vendor." It's a game that's played all too often.

Is it the best all around for product development? No, but honestly, the amount that's changed in the past decade alone is ridiculous. In reality, engineering something new used to take YEARS of development (ideation, calculation, testing, iteration, re-testing, validation testing, NDT, ALT, specification review, industry standard review, safety review, re-iteration, re-testing, re-validation...etc...etc). Now the world wants things delivered in months. And if you're not delivering in months, your competition is and you're already putting out dated tech.

One way to get in front of this is to already be working on Pixel 10 when you've only just released the 7. But more often than not, if you need to be first to market to make an impact; you're making promises based on well-educated facts and experiments before you can show up to market with the product. You're also assuming you can develop the manufacturing of the tech along the way (making the first phone cost you $1.5MM. Now figure out how you can build 1 Million phones for $200 so you can make a profit on them). It's a balance. And so, you're running simulations (well engineered, and I don't want to take away from that), and making well educated speculation based on the best data we have (and we get more every day!), but even that can only take you so far...

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm not exonerating anyone from doing what's right. I'm just telling it like I experience it for myself... I do NOT envy Rivian. I do not envy RJ or his board of directors. I most certainly do not envy their Engineers who are likely being scapegoated for delays and crappy tonneau covers, but then are expected to be developing the R2 and baking efficiency into the design so that manufacturing can build with the efficiency it takes to make a profit on these vehicles...

just my .02
Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You're comparing the standard pack price with the max pack, but not range. What are you even thinking?
Gonefishing was referring to the large pack currently produced (not standard). Everything he said was accurate however I do understand Rivian's need to cut cost's on the max however feasible.
The max pack was originally claimed to have nearly 100 mile (33%) range increase from large.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Gonefishing was referring to the large pack currently produced (not standard). Everything he said was accurate. The max pack was originally claimed to have nearly 100 mile (33%) range increase from large.
Maybe you are confused as well, because the Large pack is $6,000 more than the Standard pack. And the Max is $16,000 more than the Standard pack.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T Dual-Motor Large Pack Gets Over 350 Miles Range (Official EPA Figures Posted) Screenshot_20230815-183253

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Now that the EPA numbers are published, this probably opens to door to selling a ton of these vehicles.

And, I’m looking forward to seeing the R1S max pack dual motor. Still on the list for it

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe you are confused as well, because the Large pack is $6,000 more than the Standard pack. And the Max is $16,000 more than the Standard pack.
Screenshot_20230815-183253.png
We are not at all confused as original pre order holders the max was claimed to have nearly 100 extra miles of range over large(135) for 10k.
Currently if one orders the max it is now only 50 extra miles & costs the extra 6k (which was previously included as base price) + the additional 10k to bump up to max from large.
So originally claimed 10k for 100 miles is now 10k for 50 miles or post March 2022 16k extra for 50 miles.
I do understand Rivian's reasoning for cost increases but wish I could have the quad max that I preordered even if it is only 150kwh.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

This is one of those things that isn't obvious to the outside observer and companies don't like to admit, because it makes them seem like they don't know what they're doing. The reality is: this is par for the course.

I HAVE NO insider information at Rivian. This is solely based on my experience in manufacturing:

It's easy to make something work once. (And that's even a misnomer and there's a lot more involved than this statement can make up for).

But just because you made it work once doesn't give you autonomy to assume it'll work a million times. This is where they're likely running into assumptions and finding ways to engineer their ways out of those assumptions, or validate their assumptions and move on. I'm at the mercy of what marketing wants to tell our clients all the time. And when it's not steeped fully in reality, we go back to the drawing board because now we made a promise and perception is reputation is future profit.

There are also SO MANY TIMES something gets fully figured out and vendors/suppliers are chomping at the bit "yes, we can absolutely do that for you at that price and at that timeline." Then you place the order and none of that was true. SO often. It's no one's fault at Rivian, but they can't renege, and said vendor is thinking "they don't have time to find and qualify a new vendor." It's a game that's played all too often.

Is it the best all around for product development? No, but honestly, the amount that's changed in the past decade alone is ridiculous. In reality, engineering something new used to take YEARS of development (ideation, calculation, testing, iteration, re-testing, validation testing, NDT, ALT, specification review, industry standard review, safety review, re-iteration, re-testing, re-validation...etc...etc). Now the world wants things delivered in months. And if you're not delivering in months, your competition is and you're already putting out dated tech.

One way to get in front of this is to already be working on Pixel 10 when you've only just released the 7. But more often than not, if you need to be first to market to make an impact; you're making promises based on well-educated facts and experiments before you can show up to market with the product. You're also assuming you can develop the manufacturing of the tech along the way (making the first phone cost you $1.5MM. Now figure out how you can build 1 Million phones for $200 so you can make a profit on them). It's a balance. And so, you're running simulations (well engineered, and I don't want to take away from that), and making well educated speculation based on the best data we have (and we get more every day!), but even that can only take you so far...

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm not exonerating anyone from doing what's right. I'm just telling it like I experience it for myself... I do NOT envy Rivian. I do not envy RJ or his board of directors. I most certainly do not envy their Engineers who are likely being scapegoated for delays and crappy tonneau covers, but then are expected to be developing the R2 and baking efficiency into the design so that manufacturing can build with the efficiency it takes to make a profit on these vehicles...

just my .02
They are charging $10k for an additional 30KW/h battery (assuming 165 battery) and even at $150 per KW/h which is expensive for the industry the additional batteries are $4500. Now they should make a good profit on this option and there are some additional costs I expect but $10k is a lot for not a big increase in range.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
We are not at all confused as original pre order holders the max was claimed to have nearly 100 extra miles of range for 10k.
Currently if one orders the max it is now only 50 extra miles & costs the extra 6k (which was previously included as base price) + the additional 10k to bump up to max.
So originally claimed 10k for 100 miles is now 10k for 50 miles or post March 2022 16k extra for 50 miles.
I do understand Rivian's reasoning for cost increases but wish I could have the quad max that I preordered even if it is only 150kwh.
The max was claimed to be more miles over the large pack not the standard pack. The price difference between large and max is $10k. Same as it was before.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Has anyone heard or calculated the "Max" pack (Dual) size? It's been a long day, so I may be off....but if the Large is ~130.7 usable I think that is what I saw on Kyle Conner's Out of Spec when he got into the service screen some time back... does that calculate to ~146 kWh for the Max pack?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
We are not at all confused as original pre order holders the max was claimed to have nearly 100 extra miles of range for 10k.
Currently if one orders the max it is now only 50 extra miles & costs the extra 6k (which was previously included as base price) + the additional 10k to bump up to max.
Remember also, back in 2018 when I put my deposit down, the Quad Max (Large back then) was stated to have a 180 kWh battery. The Max today is nowhere close to 180.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The max was claimed to be more miles over the large pack not the standard pack. The price difference between large and max is $10k. Same as it was before.
Originally there was no standard (105kwh) pack available to order for it to be compared to.
Originally the large 135kwh was the baseline price point with no extra $6k charge.
Now you are paying the extra 6k for large + the additional 10k for max.
Good for Rivian moving to better margins per vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Originally there was no standard (105kwh) pack for it to be compared to.
Originally the large 135kwh was the baseline with no extra $6k charge.
Now you are paying the extra 6k for large + the additional 10k for max.
Good for Rivian moving to better margins per vehicle.
Right, the person I responded to was claiming it was $16000 more than the "352 mile regular pack", which is wrong for several reasons.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Remember also, back in 2018 when I put my deposit down, the Quad Max (Large back then) was stated to have a 180 kWh battery. The Max today is nowhere close to 180.
Also a 2018 order holder, the quad max (180kwh) was not large back then.
Ordered a R1S Quad Large 135kwh (recieved)
& a R1T Quad Max 180kwh now ?(debating, not a fan of the dual)

Last edited:

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Ordered a R1S Quad Large (recieved)
& a R1T Quad Max (debating, not a fan of the dual)
Originally, Rivian, RJ, Brian Gase, their website, etc...all referred to their pack sizes as Large, Medium, and Small... they later changed to Max, Large, and Standard.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Ordered a R1S Quad Large 135kwh (recieved)
& a R1T Quad Max 180kwh now ?(debating, not a fan of the dual)

Just one of many examples of RJ referring to pack sizes as Large & Small.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Adding to what R1Thor said...the utility-vs-pricing delta between the Large and Max packs is telling us that they would strongly prefer us to buy the Large pack.
My theory is that they are battery supply constrained, and it’s more profitable to put their scarce batteries into a new non-Max pack vehicle (well, a fraction of one), rather than upgrade an existing sale.

That’s why they talk up LFP batteries and only promise 50K cars per year for the foreseeable future. All the batteries were promised to the bigger players.
Sponsored

Last edited: