Sponsored

Keep Porsche 991 (2019 Carrera) & buy a cheap Truck OR trade-in Porsche for a Rivian

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Clubs

The Count has an 911 amongst his stable so be like The Count. The backseat fits thin children. Here is a summary of all the advantages of the 911:

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So where's your list of history/experience? I'd love to see it before responding.
Kind of a family tradition including annual trips to Deals Gap, I grew up learning on a bunch of E36s until buying my own 325is in high school, annual Skip Barber lessons in Sebring from high school to college, family member still volunteers on the circuit for fun.

Don't get my wrong, I know what these truly beautiful machines are capable of and intended for, they have a purpose. But for a lot of us hitting certain stages in life that can't afford a garage full of different toys, we need to make a choice, and often that's prioritizing function over form.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Kind of a family tradition including annual trips to Deals Gap, I grew up learning on a bunch of E36s until buying my own 325is in high school, annual Skip Barber lessons in Sebring from high school to college, family member still volunteers on the circuit for fun.

Don't get my wrong, I know what these truly beautiful machines are capable of and intended for, they have a purpose. But for a lot of us hitting certain stages in life that can't afford a garage full of different toys, we need to make a choice, and often that's prioritizing function over form.
Hmmm....okay, so you've driven the Tail of the Dragon in a BMW from the late 90s and did some Skip Barber racing school stuff. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that a modern 911 is a bit past your relevant experience. I'm not saying that you should turn in your man card or your sports car enthusiast card, but I will say that a Porsche 911 isn't something that anyone would be wondering what purpose it serves other than to go fast unless that person is someone who doesn't understand enthusiast vehicles and why we buy/drive them. I've never once in my life looked at a Porsche and said to myself, "what a wonderfully beautiful and useless car". That thought would never even enter my mind. I'm not wired like that.

nigele

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2023
I was in a similar situation -- I had a Volvo XC60 and a 2016 Porsche C4S. The volvo was getting old so it was the obvious car to replace for my R1S. I'd originally considered trading in the 911 but ended up keeping it. It doesn't get driven too often but when I do drive it, I still absolutely love it. When I drive into the city it's 50/50 as to which car I take. I don't have kids but do have dogs so the Rivian remains the "family wagon".

Good luck!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Hmmm....okay, so you've driven the Tail of the Dragon in a BMW from the late 90s and did some Skip Barber racing school stuff. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that a modern 911 is a bit past your relevant experience. I'm not saying that you should turn in your man card or your sports car enthusiast card, but I will say that a Porsche 911 isn't something that anyone would be wondering what purpose it serves other than to go fast unless that person is someone who doesn't understand enthusiast vehicles and why we buy/drive them. I've never once in my life looked at a Porsche and said to myself, "what a wonderfully beautiful and useless car". That thought would never even enter my mind. I'm not wired like that.
I don't understand why you're harping on this. He expressed his opinion, why does it matter if he's not a Porche afficianado in the context of the discussion?

My $.02, I've had fun cars and I've had utility vehicles. I've never had anything that comes close to blending fun and utility the way that my Rivian does.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

... So now, what do I do. I can buy a used Ford truck for around 15K, and keep driving the 991...
This! Depending on your finances, think of having multiple vehicles for different purposes.

When our first child came, I sold my 2-seater Toy MR2 Turbo and bought Jaguar S-Type in late 90s. Should have bought a Taurus and kept the MR2 then...

Our finances are much better now and its easy for me to add a vehicle now than then so I get it, but if you can find a way to keep the 911, and get a cheap or used SUV/Truck, I would lean that way.

Once I sold the 2 seater and child came, I've not been able to get back to another 2-seater sports car. Other expenses took priorities (full kitchen remodel, 3 bathroom remodels, loft addition, new flooring throughout the house, another kid, and kids got older and club sports and they started driving, then college and so on). Also family vehicles needed to be replaced periodically.

It flies by so just another perspective...

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I'll go in a different direction (and did) and picked up a used Model S Plaid. Four door sedan with a big hatchback. The trunk is pretty spacious as it is but for Home Depot or Costco runs its easy enough to fold down the back seats and have a ton of space for larger items.

Oh, and it's a Plaid so has 1,020 HP on tap for those special moments.

If you're set on Rivian, they still have a few R1T's at https://demovehicles.rivian.com/collections/all?filter.v.availability=1

Act fast though. Still come with full new car warranty is my understanding.

PS owned a 996 Turbo for six years, loved it.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I don't understand why you're harping on this. He expressed his opinion, why does it matter if he's not a Porche afficianado in the context of the discussion?

My $.02, I've had fun cars and I've had utility vehicles. I've never had anything that comes close to blending fun and utility the way that my Rivian does.
No, it serves me right for responding, I should've disengaged when I realized a superior enthusiastic was asking at my lowly experience.

It's funny, he's the second New Jersian to mention "man card" to me in the last week as it relates to the Rivian, perhaps they need a new state motto.

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 RT1, 23 Solterra, 05 4Runner, 77 FJ40, 70 FJ40
Occupation
farmer
Clubs

Hi folks, as a new parent (1 year old) I have been struggling with this decision for over a year. I like my Porsche 911 (2019 Carrera 4S). I don't go on the track with it, but I like to drive it on mountain roads, and stuff. That said, in the last 1 year, I've driven around 5000 miles on it, and all around town. It's accumulated 41000 miles, over the last 5.5 years, as my daily driver, but I've definitely not been driving it lately much, due to lack of time. Where it falls short - I can't transport the child and my partner in it - I can perhaps fit a forward facing child seat, but then the front passenger seat becomes very uncomfortable. In addition, I do occasionally carry some larger items (as I am doing some home renovations), and I keep borrowing my partner's Subaru Impreza. it's been OK, but I am getting increasingly frustrated that I don't have my own functional vehicle.

So now, what do I do. I can buy a used Ford truck for around 15K, and keep driving the 991 (it's trade in value is around 75-80k at the moment, and it will depreciate to 50k in 3-4 years). Or, I can trade in the 991 and just get a truck that also happens to be fast (like a Rivian R1T - cost $90k - so about the same as having the 991+used truck). Any wisdom from people who have been in my shoes?
Had a 2014 911 (my third) and sold it in 2016 for a Tesla X and never looked back. Have owned 2 Tacos and sold X and Taco when I got my R1T. No regrets love the drive, comfort etc. and the utility. It’s great to have one vehicle for all my needs.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Lots of good advice here. As both a 911 and R1S (and Corvette) owner, they are indeed very different vehicles. The utility of the Rivian far exceeds any sports car, and the Rivian’s pure power and launch is fantastic. But the 911 is better handling due to physics of lower center of gravity and lighter weight.

I know this is an EV crowd so I say this with some intrepidation… that visceral feeling you get in the 911 when the sport exhaust roars through the redlines is very satisfying.

If you can’t keep both, get the Rivian. You’ll drive it more and still get lots of thrills.

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
It is really depending on your financial situation, what period of your life, what other cars do you have, and etc. I have a 2004 Porsche 996TT (with beef up after market stuff) that can go much faster than my R1S; it almost feels like it is over the speed limit by just sitting in her. To me, these sports cars are perfect SECOND car and they are stress reliever (30 min. on a backroad and you can forget about your problems... for awhile). It almost sounded like you are not using the car as it was designed for; you almost just like the status of having it. From what you described, your lifestyle is suited for any kind of cars, especially a family car with a little one. To me, it is really depending on what you do with your life and family. However, I can guaranty you that you'll miss it after you let it go.

glenndesmo

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi,

New to this board and consider myself a passionate car and motorcycle owner with 5 daughters.

I am fortunate to also have a 991 C4S and have taken numerous road trips with 2 of my daughters and my wife and I. Anything is possible depending depending upon your mindset.
We use small north face bags for luggage and even throw two gravel bikes on the roof !
why - because it is sublime to drive, very well built and brings a smile to our faces at 7,500 rpm with a howling flat six. 25 plus MPG @ 80+ miles and hour …

However taking the kids to school and daily life the Rivian R1S is perfect so we took advantage of the leasing rates on a 2024.

The R1S handles better than the expected , looks great , tons of room for our dog , kids , bikes etc.We went with the poverty pack Dual- Motor and it’s a fun vehicle, replacing our x5.
It’s probably not screwed together as tightly as our BMW but all love the car and are huge advocates.

Lease a Rivian -
Keep the Porsche !
You can also buy a child seat for 911 so you have options …

Happy Trails

AtlaWater

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Quad-Motor Adventure, Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I faced a similar decision, having only one garage bay available: keep my Porsche 997 and get something else to support my outdoor pursuits, which will be parked outside, or sell the Porsche and buy the Rivian. I was thinking about the Ford Maverick for a moment.

I sold the 997 and bought the R1T. I don't regret it for a moment. The R1T does it all. I love it even more than the Porsche.

s0ysauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If you have a child, and you want to be more comfortable transporting them around, buy the Rivian. If your weekend car is higher on your priority or you don't think you'll find another fun car in the secondary market to your liking, keep the Porsche.

I have this debate with a friend of mine every month. He is trying to decide if he should sell his GT3 for a 3 row SUV. He already sold his bike and they have a Tesla and a 2 row SUV. I tell him, keep the Porsche, because it's a hell of a ride and it's appreciated in value since he bought it. Go find a slightly used 3 row SUV instead. It's my same advice to you, but only you can decide based on your situation.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I started typing out this long response the deleted it all to say this...

Chances are if you are a true automotive enthusiast and you have a 991 generation Porsche 911, you're not going to be happy unless you have something of equal or better capability.

I have a 991.2 generation GT3 and I kept it along with my Rivian R1S. If you can do that, I would recommend it. The Rivian is quick and "okay" handling for what it is. But it is not even close to performance oriented SUVs like the X5M, RSQ8, etc. I had the former. And it is not even in the same league as a real sports car. Yes, those vehicles have big brakes and can't go off road.

The Rivian is utilitarian (seats 7, has tons of room), can go off road, and is powerful as heck which makes it more fun than a standard SUV. The Porsche is completely different and you will NOT find the same satisfaction driving the Rivian. I say this from the perspective of a more hardcore automotive enthusiast. If you just like cars that are fun, then you likely won't miss the Porsche if you replace it with a Rivian.

I drive the Rivian every day to/from work and errands/weekends. I drive my GT3 maybe 1-2 times a month (today included). Every time I drive it, fall in love with it again. Zero comparison to the Rivian. Then again, it only seats 2, it is loud, and only great on flat open roads.

Everyone is different.
Sponsored