bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1s
Occupation
physician
FYI

- Rivian is launching a technical service bulletin for some model year 2022 and 2023 R1T and R1S
vehicles. In some situations, the driver may notice a slight vibration or oscillation of the steering
wheel at 70 mph or above, causing a perceived quality issue. Steering function is not affected.
Upon customer complaint of a vibrating steering wheel, Rivian will replace the steering wheel
with a version that is less prone to vibration.
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

This has been out for quite a while. I was told by Rivian there is also another one for a steering linkage mount installed in the incorrect orientation which could cause similar symptoms.

brij patel

First Name
brijesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1t
FYI

- Rivian is launching a technical service bulletin for some model year 2022 and 2023 R1T and R1S
vehicles. In some situations, the driver may notice a slight vibration or oscillation of the steering
wheel at 70 mph or above, causing a perceived quality issue. Steering function is not affected.
Upon customer complaint of a vibrating steering wheel, Rivian will replace the steering wheel
with a version that is less prone to vibration.
they change the steering wheel on mine..and still doesn't help at all.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Issue started for me when with 5 tire rotation the spare moved to front. Disappeared after changing to 20s. Suspect the spare wasn't properly balanced

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Issue started for me when with 5 tire rotation the spare moved to front. Disappeared after changing to 20s. Suspect the spare wasn't properly balanced
I also have had this issue during a couple of periods. First time is like @WSea after putting my spare on, took it to a local shop and balanced it and all was good.

Second time was after I replaced two tires with new ones at Discount Tire. I had them rebalanced and it didn't fix the issue so I put in a ticket. By the time service looked at it they told me you have feathering on the front tires and that was the cause, I tried explaining that they did that since new to no avail. It went away when I swapped to the 21s and when I put my 20s back on with the Nitto Recon Grapplers it was still fine. I suspect that one of those new Pirelli tires I had bought was defective.

I honestly don't understand how replacing the steering wheel would fix this issue.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I also have had this issue during a couple of periods. First time is like @WSea after putting my spare on, took it to a local shop and balanced it and all was good.

Second time was after I replaced two tires with new ones at Discount Tire. I had them rebalanced and it didn't fix the issue so I put in a ticket. By the time service looked at it they told me you have feathering on the front tires and that was the cause, I tried explaining that they did that since new to no avail. It went away when I swapped to the 21s and when I put my 20s back on with the Nitto Recon Grapplers it was still fine. I suspect that one of those new Pirelli tires I had bought was defective.

I honestly don't understand how replacing the steering wheel would fix this issue.
Agree...seems like a bandaid for something else

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I had several alignments and tire balancings done and after they replaced the steering wheel it's been perfect.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
They have an alternate part number for a heavier steering wheel.. .sometime that will mask, er "correct" the issue on some vehicles.

Not a way to "fix" the issue in my book...

Last edited:

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just curious are people talking about shaking or vibrating? Tires or shafts out of balance can result in the wheel shaking especially over certain speeds. If it is vibrating though that sounds like to lane keeping assist warning and can be disabled.

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R1T.
Clubs

I just got my truck back from service for sharky/vibrating steering wheel at speeds 70+

They installed a brand new weighted steering wheel and that fixed my issues.
Part# PT00000910-M-006

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Is this fix being done at service centers only?

This is my #1 complaint about my R1S.

Did you have your tires road force balanced prior to them swapping the steering wheel?
Maybe mobile service can do it too. I don't know. My truck was in for some other service items as well.

I have been there before with complaints about vibration in my wheel. They did balancing and alignment but it did not fix the problem then.

Mobile service was at my house a few weeks back replacing a trim in the frunk and he told me there was a new weighted steering wheel that might help with vibration. I added it to my service ticket and had an appointment set for 2 weeks out.

Along with installing the new steering they did re-balance and alignment.

I don't know if its exactly the new weighted wheel that fixed it. All I know is my truck now has zero vibration and shakes in the steering wheel at 70+

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

i am very happy for you! that’s great news.

i have been holding off submitting a ticket for this because i know how busy they are and im hoping it just goes away with my snow set.
Yeah they are backed up. Dropped it off last Thursday and did not get it back till yesterday morning. I don't know why they ask for it to be dropped off so early if it was just gonna sit for days. (I checked the app and my truck did not move till Tuesday.

Atomic Wheels

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Interesting thing.

I got my truck from SC yesterday after 2 weeks there. I had a weird clicking noise in suspension on bumpy roads. After inspection, they found a few arms and links not properly torqued. They retorqued all suspension and when I was driving from SC on the freeway yesterday at 80mph I had absolutely zero steering wheel vibration.

Worth noting that I had vibrations before but it was super low and barely noticeable. But yesterday it was just as smooth as butter.
Sponsored