Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Funny enough, I reached out to Rivian about two things recently - Guides and Powered Tonneau Cover. My PTC still works so no open tickets on it. My Guide has disappeared from the support information tab, evidently he was a part of the most recent layoffs.

Here's their response:
"When it comes to powered tonneau covers, I do have good news for you!
Owners who previously flagged issues with their powered tonneau cover will be contacted by the end of March 2024, with repairs completed by the end of July 2024.
So you can expect to be reached out soon and then we will proceed from there. "

Since I've never flagged an issue, guess I won't hear from them?
I don't think the replacement is really appreciably better. It sounds like it probably just tolerates variance in how everything goes together better.

If yours still works, I'd recommend just using it as much as you need to and don't avoid using it to prevent it from breaking. Covers are otherwise under the standard warranty, so will still get replaced further down the line if you eventually have issues.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I don't think the replacement is really appreciably better. It sounds like it probably just tolerates variance in how everything goes together better.

If yours still works, I'd recommend just using it as much as you need to and don't avoid using it to prevent it from breaking. Covers are otherwise under the standard warranty, so will still get replaced further down the line if you eventually have issues.
This is where I really wish they had just extended the warranty. Mine works fine....at the moment. Will it when it has 60001 miles? Who knows. Is the new better? Should I proactively ask for new at 58k or so? Or risk it with my OG? I will likely ask to have it replaced. But if they told me I had till say 100k then I could keep using it and save Rivian the expense.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
According to this recently update support article. I'd suggest anyone who still has a broken one to make sure this includes you. Rivian likely won't reach out otherwise.
I recently had the Portland SC replace my windshield and while I was there I asked if they had any news concerning the PTC. They recommended I call scheduling every couple of weeks to be sure my name hadn’t dropped into a black hole. So, I called that same day to verify and, lo and behold, the very next day I received a call to schedule. Coincidence?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is where I really wish they had just extended the warranty. Mine works fine....at the moment. Will it when it has 60001 miles? Who knows. Is the new better? Should I proactively ask for new at 58k or so? Or risk it with my OG? I will likely ask to have it replaced. But if they told me I had till say 100k then I could keep using it and save Rivian the expense.
I'm not gonna tell anyone that they should just jam one side of their working cover while it's retracting to make it come apart after 58k miles. But if it just happened to do that, I imagine Rivian would probably just have to replace it anyway.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

My replacement was completed this morning at the Phoenix SC, but I'm in Kona right now so it'll be a bit before I can check it out in person. My wife is picking up the truck and she probably doesn't care how the new one works.

In case anyone is curious:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is scheduling open service tickets for Powered Tonneau Cover issues by end of March 1711222019906-dt

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just had mine replaced via mobile (SA area tech is awesome!) The cover basically just has beefed up parts and is about 10 lbs heavier. The spring that helps moves the slats was revised and I believe the panels are more rigid to reduce flexing and getting caught up. He still recommended dry lube occasionally in the channels.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Just had mine replaced via mobile (SA area tech is awesome!) The cover basically just has beefed up parts and is about 10 lbs heavier. The spring that helps moves the slats was revised and I believe the panels are more rigid to reduce flexing and getting caught up. He still recommended dry lube occasionally in the channels.
I do wonder why it took so long to implement this. I am sure some are waiting on sidelines too for new purchases wanting a powered tonneau.

SherpaDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 C2S Cab, Ridgeline, Dakota SXT, Ram 50, R1T Or
Occupation
Consultant
My R1T was delivered 18 months ago with a non-functioning Power Tonneau. I accepted the vehicle with the promise and understanding that Rivian was going to Fix/Replace the broken unit. I was also told that I am not allowed to take it apart and try to repair it myself or I forfeit any warranties or their repair.

For what it's worth, the issue with the unit is not fundamentally the tunnel cover, but a damaged track that was the root cause of the damaged tonneau cover, but because of that the slats bent ...

I'm a patient guy and don't want to be a PiTA - have spoken with the service center more times than I can remember - and it is now April 1, 2024 and I still have nothing.

RJ and Tara posted their video about the redesigned PTC last year around this time with the comments that they would be rolling it out "soon". Separately, I was told it would be Summer ... still nothing

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/data/video/51/51840-9a0cea2a50f9c686bdc85fc26658fac5.mp4

Overall I like the truck, but this is ridiculous. It makes the bed unusable - it is half open ...

I've even offered to ship my truck to Normal to have it repaired because Im so frustrated - I live in NJ.

The folks in the call center very nice, but powerless and useless when it comes to getting this resolved. My guide was not helpful with anything other than processing the paperwork when I bought the truck.

Is anyone else facing this? Any suggestions?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

My R1T was delivered 18 months ago with a non-functioning Power Tonneau. I accepted the vehicle with the promise and understanding that Rivian was going to Fix/Replace the broken unit. I was also told that I am not allowed to take it apart and try to repair it myself or I forfeit any warranties or their repair.

For what it's worth, the issue with the unit is not fundamentally the tunnel cover, but a damaged track that was the root cause of the damaged tonneau cover, but because of that the slats bent ...

I'm a patient guy and don't want to be a PiTA - have spoken with the service center more times than I can remember - and it is now April 1, 2024 and I still have nothing.

RJ and Tara posted their video about the redesigned PTC last year around this time with the comments that they would be rolling it out "soon". Separately, I was told it would be Summer ... still nothing

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/data/video/51/51840-9a0cea2a50f9c686bdc85fc26658fac5.mp4

Overall I like the truck, but this is ridiculous. It makes the bed unusable - it is half open ...

I've even offered to ship my truck to Normal to have it repaired because Im so frustrated - I live in NJ.

The folks in the call center very nice, but powerless and useless when it comes to getting this resolved. My guide was not helpful with anything other than processing the paperwork when I bought the truck.

Is anyone else facing this? Any suggestions?
As others recommended to me, keep contacting service to get an appointment. Explain how long it’s been, be polite but persistent. I was in a similar boat as you with a broken cover for almost two years. Except mine was disabled with all slats removed. They finally scheduled me for April 15 via service chat about a month ago.

Also, if you don’t have a ticket open for this in the app yet, go ahead and make one.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Was just contacted by Rivian. My Monday appointment is moved out to May due to parts being back ordered. Sigh.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Was just contacted by Rivian. My Monday appointment is moved out to May due to parts being back ordered. Sigh.
I feel bad about all these people with non-working tonneaus when I don't really use mine. I built sliding storage for my truck last year and really only move my cover back to access stuff in the bulk storage area when I can't lower the tailgate because of obstructions.

SherpaDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 C2S Cab, Ridgeline, Dakota SXT, Ram 50, R1T Or
Occupation
Consultant
As others recommended to me, keep contacting service to get an appointment. Explain how long it’s been, be polite but persistent. I was in a similar boat as you with a broken cover for almost two years. Except mine was disabled with all slats removed. They finally scheduled me for April 15 via service chat about a month ago.

Also, if you don’t have a ticket open for this in the app yet, go ahead and make one.
I spoke w service yesterday and finally have a date scheduled in June to get my repaired PTC 😁

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Luckily mine works at least 95% of the time. Hopefully get it replaced at some point. My open ticket is only from July of 2023, I know there are others that are much older. (Mine started having issues in June 2022, but then worked fine for about a year, that's when I opened the ticket. Now it only gets stuck once ever month or so.)

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Got the call today to schedule mine. June 6 at the Gaithersburg SC. My truck is there now, too bad they couldn't get the parts quicker.

Mrose929

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have a 4/8 appointment for the 22.5k comprehensive inspection. I also have an outstanding tonneau cover repair ticket (from July of last year). I just called to see if it could be added, and was told that was based on SC supply, and they would call me back once that was determined.

Really was hoping to get it all done in one trip (2 hours each way), but I guess I will wait to see. I guess I will take my bed rack off before I go, just in case.
I'd personally wait for an inspection when they swapped the cover. At my 14k mile 2nd tire rotation I talked with a guide who said it was ok to have discount tire do rotations and not come back until the higher mile services if everything was going ok.
Sponsored