Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So after my trip last week into California I have officially charged at all of the RAN stations currently in operation, Rivian needs to make this harder ;)

Salida - 7/29
Barstow and Inyokern - 11/3
Inyokern, Bishop - 11/4
Ukiah, Fortuna - 11/6

Love the Rivian chargers, always fast and always available. One negative to say in Bishop the trailer spot is going to be iced regularly, seen at least 3 different cars parked there while I was charging, even if not blocked it would likely be difficult to get a large trailer into that spot based on the layout and size of the parking lot. Not as bad but Icing may be an issue with the Inyokern trailer spot too but not as bad as Bishop.

Other general thoughts about my charging experience on this trip outside of RAN. I used mostly 350kW stations from EA over 12-15 charges. Looks like I got 2-3 free charges (at least not currently listed in my account). I ran into 3 issues total. First was in the Sacremento area, went to a EA station and all of the stations appeared offline so I just redirected to another. Second issue was in Oceanside CA, terrible location with a busy drive trying to back in and out of the station when the first was offline then the second was capped at 38kW but finally got in a good spot and charged. The last issue was last night in Springfield OR, 2 chargers down and lots of travelers heading back towards Portland so I had to wait until an ID4 finished charging.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That's pretty cool! Sounds like a nice goal to try to keep up on. Will definitely take you to some beautiful spots around the country.

I don't tow anything myself but I was actually wondering about trailer access at their chargers. If they are putting most of them at trailheads, often those parking lots are tight unless it's at a lake or boat ramp.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That's pretty cool! Sounds like a nice goal to try to keep up on. Will definitely take you to some beautiful spots around the country.

I don't tow anything myself but I was actually wondering about trailer access at their chargers. If they are putting most of them at trailheads, often those parking lots are tight unless it's at a lake or boat ramp.
I think you have that slightly wrong. It would be silly to put RAN stations at trailheads, I think the destination chargers at trailheads is the plan and then RAN stations to allow you to get to trailheads. So far the only one I thought would be difficult to get a trailer parked at would be Bishop.

Not a trailer puller either but as you can see below marked in blue, that is where the trailer spot is. IMO some tough angles in a tight parking lot when it's busy.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivimon - Can you collect them all.. RAN stations 1667846406391

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think you have that slightly wrong. It would be silly to put RAN stations at trailheads, I think the destination chargers at trailheads is the plan and then RAN stations to allow you to get to trailheads. So far the only one I thought would be difficult to get a trailer parked at would be Bishop.

Not a trailer puller either but as you can see below marked in blue, that is where the trailer spot is. IMO some tough angles in a tight parking lot when it's busy.

1667846406391.png
Thanks for the correction. I keep mixing up Destination vs RAN chargers. Yes, that would be a tricky spot to get to with even a short trailer!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So after my trip last week into California I have officially charged at all of the RAN stations currently in operation, Rivian needs to make this harder ;)

Salida - 7/29
Barstow and Inyokern - 11/3
Inyokern, Bishop - 11/4
Ukiah, Fortuna - 11/6

Love the Rivian chargers, always fast and always available. One negative to say in Bishop the trailer spot is going to be iced regularly, seen at least 3 different cars parked there while I was charging, even if not blocked it would likely be difficult to get a large trailer into that spot based on the layout and size of the parking lot. Not as bad but Icing may be an issue with the Inyokern trailer spot too but not as bad as Bishop.

Other general thoughts about my charging experience on this trip outside of RAN. I used mostly 350kW stations from EA over 12-15 charges. Looks like I got 2-3 free charges (at least not currently listed in my account). I ran into 3 issues total. First was in the Sacremento area, went to a EA station and all of the stations appeared offline so I just redirected to another. Second issue was in Oceanside CA, terrible location with a busy drive trying to back in and out of the station when the first was offline then the second was capped at 38kW but finally got in a good spot and charged. The last issue was last night in Springfield OR, 2 chargers down and lots of travelers heading back towards Portland so I had to wait until an ID4 finished charging.
Come visit me in Michigan (if Rivian ever actually finishes the RAN stations here)

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for the correction. I keep mixing up Destination vs RAN chargers. Yes, that would be a tricky spot to get to with even a short trailer!
That said charging at all of the destination chargers would be a much more ambitious goal.
Sponsored